How many watts does a 100w Renogy monocrystalline actually produce in peak conditions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hircarra

Reaction score
I'm looking to hook up an mppt cc in parallel because I have other no-name panels and I don't want the efficiency of my Renogy solar panel to be possibly bottle-necked. I'm wondering how many solar panels I can hook up in parallel without realistically ever getting to 15 watts. I've never seen two solar panels in parallel get past eight amps. And what would happen if it got to more than 15 amps anyway? Also, when a cc says 12/24 volts, is it talking about the battery? It'd be a shame not to be able to hook up more than two 12v solar panels in series in the future.

Hircarra said:
...I'm wondering how many solar panels I can hook up in parallel without realistically ever getting to 15 watts.

I don't understand the question, is it worded correctly? The "getting to 15 Watts" part.

Hircarra said:
...I've never seen two solar panels in parallel get past eight amps...

I ran 2x100w panels in parallel and would see 10+ amps in everyday there was decent sun.

Hircarra said:
Also, when a cc says 12/24 volts, is it talking about the battery?

That's the panel voltage rating. 12 or 24 volt panels.

Wabbit said:
I don't understand the question, is it worded correctly? The "getting to 15 Watts" part.
How many solar panels will realistically produce more than 15 watts in ideal conditions? How many will one?
Wabbit said:
I ran 2x100w panels in parallel and would see 10+ amps in evsteryday there was decent sun.
It seems you've unwittingly answered my question.
Wabbit said:
That's the panel voltage rating. 12 or 24 volt panels.
Does this mean I cannot hook up more than two 12v panels in series? e.g. three would add up to ~36w etc.

@Hircarra

Your wording is confusing to me.

First.
Watts = Volt's X Amps

Example:
You have a 12v panel that is producing 7 amps in the sun
12 volts X 7 amps = 84 watts.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Hircarra said:
Also, when a cc says 12/24 volts, is it talking about the battery? 

Yes.

Most MPPT controllers can charge a 12v or a 24v battery bank. 

Typical MPPT controllers that we would use can be rated to accept 75 volts to around 150 volts input.

Hircarra said:
Does this mean I cannot hook up more than two 12v panels in series? e.g. three would add up to ~36w etc.

After Tx2Sturgis answered, I am not sure. He is saying the opposite of my answer. I would trust their answer over mine. Really sorry for any confusion, it's the last thing you need.

geogentry said:
12 volts X 7 amps = 84 watts.

So the wattage varies. It should help you understand if I say amps instead of watts. Again, you've already accidentally answered my question.

Oh, let me clarify my earlier reply.

MPPT controllers usually have a max voltage rating...example, 75 volts. 

That means it will accept normal panel voltages UP TO 75 volts, but they will work with say, 20, or 40 volts also.

If the controller is rated at 100 volts, it will accept up to 100 volts, but again, the input can be less.

And yes, typical MPPT controllers will work with a 12v battery or a 24v battery, some will charge higher voltage banks but typically we dont use these for vehicle house battery systems (unless you are planning on using EV batteries) ...those higher battery voltages would be more common in residential (stationary) systems.

Once I had hooked up four 100 Watt Renogy panels in series. I then heard that the higher voltage just increases heat and the system becomes less efficient.

Now I have two paralleled pairs tied in series for 200 Watts at 40V (panel nominal voltage) to a 45 amp output MPPT to charge two 12V Walmart group 29s. The two pairs in series potentially gives 10 amps at 40 volts.

The story is that tying in series giving 2X panel volts gives the controller the ability to drive higher charge voltages at lower levels of solar input.

I have an image from a day when it had been snowing, still heavy cloud cover, moisture on my windshield, and a voltage dongle was showing 14+ volts from the battery bank.

"So the wattage varies."

Yes, whenever there is insufficient solar input to drive the panel to max output. The current in amps will be less, therefore the watts, being a function of amps multiplied by volts, will be less.