how important is insulation in a van ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triumph

Reaction score
&nbsp;&nbsp; If I spend the time and money to do a proper job insulating the walls, floor, and roof of my cargo van is it going to make that much of a difference ?&nbsp; I'll be rocking a Mr Buddy.&nbsp; Would proper insulation really save me quite a bit of propane ? <br><br>&nbsp;Whenever I use Mr Buddy I have to crack the roof vent a lil bit to avoid co2 buildup, so does that negate the benefits of insulation ?&nbsp; Keep in mind that I won't be staying in areas with freezing temps.. the lowest temp I'll be dealing with will be around 45F.&nbsp; <br><br>Any advice is appreciated.<br><br><br><br>

I have the little buddy one and even it is too hot.&nbsp; I wish I would have kept a smaller&nbsp;coleman one that was the size of CD, yet kept the van warm in 45 degree temps.&nbsp; My buddy heater cranks, but I wouldnt need it unless it was in the 30's outside. <br><br>BUT,&nbsp; the summer will heat radiate in the van like an oven.&nbsp; I used reflectex on the rear side windows and then added 1/2 inch sheets of R-Tech afterwards for the walls. <br><br>It makes a huge difference for hot days.&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><br><br><br>

Paint color and insulation will make a huge difference in terms of heat gain. Shade will help immensely. If you can park in the shade your vehicle will never get warmer than the ambient temperature, say 95. In strong sun, your vehicle interior could reach 130.<br><br>White is probably the best (most reflective) color for the exterior. Try painting several pieces of scrap metal, white, some middle color like light blue, and black. Put them in the sun for an hour. check their temps.<br><br>Insulation will really help with heat loss in the cold. This can not only save you money, but in the event of fuel loss/heat malfunction, could save your life.<br><br>Elseanno<br><br>

where do you folks get the best deal on the bubble insulation that's covered with foil or white. and what are most people using the "double bubble" or single. it looks llike the double is up the 3/8 thick. <br><br>best price i have found is $25.51/shipped for a 4' X 10' piece, double bubble and foil covered.<br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/444-reflective-energy-barrier/17188.html">http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/444-reflective-energy-barrier/17188.html</a><br><br>

True refletex( registered brand name) is available St lowe's home improvement stores. There are also water heater " jackets" that are sold that are the same material, but different brand name. Some stores may have end of the season sales on windshield sun blockers that are similar material. The trick to reflected is to remember that it has very little insulating properties, something like r1.5 or so. But it will reflect heat in or out, or cold in or out. Most turn the foil side to the exterior of the vehicle, to help control the inside temp. For example, my bus is dark green, has a steel outer skin, 1,5" of white styrofoam ( old fashioned coffee cup style) and an aluminum inner skin. You can burn your skin on the outside on a hot sunny day, and hold your hand to the inside skin for a bit. The inside temp has gone upwards of 140 with all windows closed A roof vent has helped some, and im looking for the tinted window visors to allow me to keep the front windows down an inch or so. When time allows, a white roof paint job is planned, should lower temps at least 10-15 degrees.I have reflectex for the front windshield and two front side windows. I havnt run the buddy heater yet.
Les

the stuff in the link i posted has a R value of "up to" 14.3, "depending on application". maybe because it's the double bubble?? <br>

Insulation will make a huge difference! This is for a 23' RV, I keep saying I am going to do it every winter... have not yet! (3rd year here at "The Oasis"). It is a Tioga, cheaply made... was inexpensive. In winter time a hurricane generally blows when I open the cabinets! I have some corner tape I will put up... <BR>I bought some plastic sheets to copy the windows insulation kits they sell. That will be one step, but then during the day will not be able to open those windows! (single pane). The cold here is at night. I use a Kozy World double plate (10,000BTU catalytic heater... total overkill but too late!). The big problem is the wind coming through the engine compartment! Last year I draped a blanket over it, (inside), no good! This year since my 12x14 Montana Canvas tent has blown away and destroyed by a 100mph micro burst (they say, I was not here!) I am going to use it's vinyl flooring and somehow drape the front outside of the cab! Maybe drive over it a few feet and then drape it. I don't care what it looks like and I rarely move the RV anyhow. I don't know how I am going to attach the top part! Ropes maybe? Velcro is out... too windy it gets. Maybe close the doors over them after folding the vinyl in! Will let you know... should be interesting. I would do it now but it is almost 100 outside... <BR><BR>Be well... always.<BR><BR>Ara &amp; Spirit<BR><BR><A href="http://www.theoasisofmysoul.com/" target=_blank target=_blank>www.theoasisofmysoul.com</A><BR>

Elseanno said:
Paint color and insulation will make a huge difference in terms of heat gain. Shade will help immensely. If you can park in the shade your vehicle will never get warmer than the ambient temperature, say 95. In strong sun, your vehicle interior could reach 130.<br><br>White is probably the best (most reflective) color for the exterior. Try painting several pieces of scrap metal, white, some middle color like light blue, and black. Put them in the sun for an hour. check their temps.<br><br>Insulation will really help with heat loss in the cold. This can not only save you money, but in the event of fuel loss/heat malfunction, could save your life.<br><br>Elseanno<br><br>
<div><br></div><div>You mean if I get a white van it will stay cooler than a black van? This may take a while but heck Id do it!</div>

Pure white is the way to go. When I lived on a sailboat my deck was white and I could go barefooted in the extreme heat. Other sailboats that were even just slightly off white, we had to wear deck shoes! Incredible difference. Reason why all the cars in Florida are white! (just about!).<br><br>Ara &amp; Spirit<br><br><A href="http://www.theoasisofmysoul.com" target=_blank>www.theoasisofmysoul.com</A><br>

My .02:<BR><BR>Insulation will make a huge difference. In cold weather, it will take less fuel to get the interior warm, and less fuel to keep it warm. Eventually a savings in $$$. Insulation can be done less expensively (not up on current prices) than the foil bubble wrap. The foil is only going to be helpful if you are going to use the reflective value of it at a window.&nbsp; Insulation is also dependent on the door and window rubber seals being in good shape. Insulation will also aid in hot weather. More below.<BR><BR>Reflectivity: relectivy isn't what directly keeps a vehicle cool. Dark shades absorb light, which in turn causes the dark material to retain, then radiate, heat. I'd be less concerned about the exterior color of the car, as long as you insulated the interior well. Then, if the&nbsp;exterior metal gets hot, the insulation will keep the heat from radiating into the interior.&nbsp;What's more important is the interior color of the vehicle, combined with how much direct sunlight is getting inside. You can use these two factors to help control the interior temp.<BR><BR>If you want to warm the interior on a cold day, use a dark interior and park in the sunlight. Especially with materials such as carpet, the sunlight will be absorbed and the material will get warm, and radiate heat to the interior (greenhouse effect). Good insulation will help retain the warmth longer, once there is no direct sunlight. To stop the material from acting as a heater, put a reflective surface over the windows to reflect the light back outside, so there will be no warming effect inside. Black the the light, block the heat. We use white ABS sheet plastic velcroed over the windows. In cold weather, we can place insulating material between the plastic and the glass to help retain heat inside at night.<BR><BR>To paint the outside white is - IMO - a waste of money, unless you're going to have no insulation. Cheaper to insulate, use a dark interior and the windows as 'controls', and choose a parking location depending on whether you wish to heat the interior (park in sun with windows unblocekd) or keep it cool (park in shade with reflectors/ insulated reflectors in the window).<BR><BR>There is no such thing as 'cold': there is only a lack of heat. Science 101 lol.<BR><BR>Just my thoughts on the matter.<BR><BR>

<P>While we're on the topic: vents as heat controls.</P>Vents in the high point of the roof to allow heat (heat rises) to escape. A clear cover on the vent and it can be used as the windows: to let light in for heat, or it can be blocked and sinsulated to keep heat in.&nbsp; High windows with screens can be used for cross ventilation to pull heat out, while maintaining privacy below window level.<br><br>Sorry - once my brain gets on a topic, it doesn't want to let go lol.<br>

In my cube van, camper/truck I have used Reflectix and DuroFoam as insulation. What a difference. The one back wall that does not have insulation in the walls it quite cold, so yes it does work. That wall is a problem to insulate so I am doing a work around.<div><br></div><div>In the main living area, I have just put down underpad, and 3 area rugs, the overlap in the middle gives my tooties extra carpet thickness for a bit more insulation, there is less on the sides where there is no overlap, so on the sides there is only 2 layers of though rug.</div><div><br></div><div>As I have smoked windows, I took some large clear bubble wrap, folded so the bubbles were inside and stuffed them in the windows. Wow, what a difference in temps. Now I will take them out, tape the edges to keep the layer of air in there as well and re-ensert them into the windows. On the inside I will add a layer of clear plastic or clear plastic sheet, not sure yet which way I will go.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>The ceiling has a layer of duroFoam and during the high temps of summer the inside temp dropped from 148 deg Far, to 95 deg Far. There is a section that was curved and I only added in the Refletix there, although similar R rating, there is&nbsp;definitely&nbsp;a difference in temps, I think it has to do with the thickness of the materials used.</div><div><br></div><div>I just bought a Big Buddy heater and have not used it yet even though the temps have fallen to 0 deg celius, 32 deg far. With the little&nbsp;Coleman, I have to open the top vent to let the extra heat out, as it is too hot. I also have the room and have put in a portable kerosene heater I picked up from Kijiji.ca similar to craigslist for you Americans.&nbsp;</div><div>Pros Kerosene is quiet, does not smell if adjusted properly, or only slight odour that I do not mind.</div><div>Kerosene&nbsp;</div><div>Cons Expensive fuel, the 5 gal container now costs $20 and will last only 3 days of&nbsp;continuous&nbsp;use at low setting, and will last 4-5 nights / evening&nbsp;combos&nbsp;at low setting and turning it off while I sleep in under the covers. Restarting in the morning while I get breakfast and get dressed, although to be honest I do get up to pee and turn it on, then get back under the covers for a few minutes as it heats up, I am not as young as I used to be!</div><div><br></div><div>Propane</div><div>Pros, comes in handy portable containers that you just plug the hose into, cost is less per ltr or gal, than kerosene so it will last longer and can be left on during the days for longer as well, when the temps drop to below freezing during the days as well.</div><div>Cons, noisy, need to create / find a regulator so I can run my little&nbsp;Coleman&nbsp;heater until the bigger Big Buddy is needed. Right now it only uses the little one gal bottles and is quite expensive to run unless used just to heat up the area quickly and then turned off.</div><div><br></div>

Yes, insulation will make your life much better. 45 degrees may not sound cold, but try just sitting round in it and you will quickly wish you it were warmer. I am a big fan of stryrofoam sheets. Its cheap, easy to work with and has a good R value. Something that is easier and cheaper than insulation is to work on drafts. Moving air will make you feel much colder than the 45 degrees with still air. Weather sealing the doors will help a lot. Also, a barrier between the front drivers area and the back living area will help tremendously. Hang blankets, space blankets, or Reflectix in between them and it will really help. Also, Reflectix over the windows will help&nbsp; a lot. Bob<br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Gotta add my 2 cents that insulation definitely makes a big difference.&nbsp; It's worth the extra time to make sure and adequately cover any problem areas such as the wheel wells.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">One of the biggest advantages is that with good insulation, the van will heat up quickly if you allow it to get cold.&nbsp; I'm amazed at how rapidly the thing warms when the Mr. Buddy is on hi.&nbsp;&nbsp;The time and money spent insulating are one of the best investments you will make.&nbsp;&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The Mr. Buddy in the Trekker Van is mounted on the passenger side,&nbsp;swing-out door (the step-up area).&nbsp; It works great there.&nbsp; Though the ceiling does get warm, it is not overly warm.&nbsp; I mounted a 12V fan to redirect the air down toward the rear area.&nbsp; It makes a big difference and also keeps the ceiling cooler.</p>

Insulation works both ways, It'll keep you cool on hot days too.<div><br></div><div>Time and time again, I've seen that insulating a vehicle is one of the best things you can do to it.</div>

&nbsp;For windows, during the winter, use translucent coroplast (corrugated plastic, like they use for election signs). It insulates really well and lets in light. It's also reusable, so can be stored away for the summer. <br>