How important is AWD?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I'm totally inexperienced at all this stuff, so I don't have a real good handle on how terrain-adaptable my vehicle will need to be. My plan is to stay at established campsites, parks, and occasional paved urban boondocking sites at least 6 months out of the year, using the vehicle as a daily driver whenever I'm back in my home town. I don't see myself crashing through underbrush or battling mudslides on these extended trips -- but I would imagine that some of the "wilder" places may be unpaved lots accessed via dirt roads, etc. and of course dirt has been known to turn to mud....

Anyway, should I make all-wheel drive a priority when picking out a "hard-shelled tent" such as an SUV or minivan? (I think the Sienna is the only minivan that actually offers it.) Or would it not really matter for the anticipated usage described above?

It really depends on what you are thinking of as "wilder" places for you---some people's wilder places are tamer than others. It's hard to search for AWD or 4WD on here since search parameters require 4 letters, but I knew there had been recent discussion since I started the one thread and knew the basic title on the other. :)

Here's a couple threads to give you more information: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-4wd-awd-fwd and https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-FWD-vs-RWD.

Hopefully these threads will give you a better idea. Happy trails. :)

Depends on the type of AWD. I'm not familiar with all the variations out there, but if it is of a design similar to Subaru, your tires need to be evenly worn or you could experience expensive damage. AWD is super convenient and works great, but you pay a big price for that convenience. If you have front wheel drive, that alone is a huge help. Depending on the clearance, you can slap on a set of chains or tire cables. Putting on chains isn't all that bad, but it is inconvenient, wet, and muddy.

Sounds like you wouldn't be taxing the AWD system with the way you drive. I don't like to beat up on my vehicles and wouldn't hesitate to take AWD into what you describe or a front wheel drive only van.

An SUV might be better suited to what you want to do. They make little ones, medium ones, big ones, and ginormous ones. Anything you could think of you could probably get. You can also get some SUV's with front wheel drive only. These have the clearance for ruts and stuff and the LT truck tires needed for dirt roads. I'm guessing they would be much more likely to be able to put on a set of chains or would have hooks easily accessible so you could winch yourself out.

Don't skimp on tires.

With only RWD, I've only had to use my winch a handful of times in over 40 years, and the 4WD/AWD were all getting stuck in the same places.

Unless you are trying to get beyond where everybody else is going, I don't think you need to go out of your way to get AWD.

I'm heading to Moab Utah soon and when I get there i'm going to boondock on a hard packed road that anybody can make it down. The road comes to a wide, sandy wash and nobody goes past it. With AWD and airing down your tires you could and you could camp all alone, no generators, no parties, no neighbors. If that appeals to you, then get AWD. If you're okay camping with the crowd, then don't get it.
Bob

From what you described AWD isn't very important, AWD really isn't of much use in mud a 4WD would work better. If you get an SUV most have 4WD. You will find a mini van more comfortable because it will have more room behind the front seats.

Certain years of the Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan have AWD, but they still have low ground clearance. I also find the Stow&Go seats more useful, and you can have one but not the other.
The Chevy Astro had optional AWD too. It is more of a truck platform with better GC.

I live out of a Prius which doesn't come with AWD. For me, a higher ground clearance is more desirable than AWD or 4WD. All the same, I find that I can get back on some pretty bad roads with my 5.5" ground clearance as long as I take it slow and pick a route where I can drive on the humps between the ruts. If it rains, I wait until the roads aren't muddy anymore.

The best to you in your search for the right vehicle for you.

Suanne

awd, don't do it. imo it's not worth all the headaches involved. go either 4wd or 2wd. it doesn't sound like you are planning to go out in the sticks, so I would stick with 2wd. another note out west here many easy roads become untravelable after a rain storm even with 4wd, the roads become slick as snot. it's better just to hunker down for a day or two and let them dry out. highdesertranger

With the variety of driving you describe I suggest a Subaru Forrester. Room to sleep, roof rack. Pretty good mileage. AWD if you need it, which imo would be in mud, snow or sand. Read all you can re. mechanical issues in older ones. I am daily driving a 1999 with 209,000 miles. Did great in snow this winter. Some interesting videos of their capabilities on YouTube.
realspur

If you get RWD you can decide to install an expensive locking rear differential sometime later. Plus airing down tires, getting better tires, using tire chains, carry and practice with a manual winch. You don't need AWD if you are just cautious.

I have on open differential.

My approach is to keep the original ground clearance, meaning no tired overloaded springs.  So many van dweller vehicles have tired springs and look like they are overloaded.  Combine this with going offroad and the vehicle is already at a disadvantage.

An AT tire properly deflated for the intended surface,  maintaining momentum, and walking the danger areas before hand to know where to put the wheels has kept me from getting stuck.  Knowing that traction in reverse is less than half of forward is another good thing to be aware of on a rwd Van.

Good driving can make up for lack of drive wheels. Bad driving is not made up for by AWD/4WD.

And once traction is lost, stop digging downward with more gas.  Stop, deflate the tires more, remove obstructions from in front of tires, straighten wheel, try rocking it with the gas pedal and once movement begins then one can lay down some more gas pedal and gain more momentum.

I've driven out of things like soft sand that I never expected to be able to.

Carry an air compressor and be aware of its duty cycle.  If they overheat, they become paperweights.  The ones with alligator clamps for the battery terminals are superior to those with a Ciggy plug.  By far.

Skinny tires and 2wd:

Off road skills are more about choosing your lines, maintaining momentum, not overestimating your vehicle nor underestimating the conditions.

Practice and common sense go a long way.

Lafnbug said:
Skinny tires and 2wd:

Off road skills are more about choosing your lines, maintaining momentum, not overestimating your vehicle nor underestimating the conditions.

Practice and common sense go a long way.

Apparently, drinking and driving wasn't illegal back then. Lol.

Most cars and vehicles effectively have one wheel drive due to limited slip differentials.

AWD will help you keep moving forward in slippery conditions.  It will also help keep you moving in the direction you desire.

What it won't do is help you stop moving in slippery conditions.  For that, you'll need to have appropriate tires.

It's nice to have (I like that my daily-driver Suzuki SX4 has AWD, and AWD was one of the features that led me to buy my vehicle), but I don't consider it a must-have feature.

AuricTech said:
AWD will help you keep moving forward in slippery conditions.  It will also help keep you moving in the direction you desire.

What it won't do is help you stop moving in slippery conditions.  For that, you'll need to have appropriate tires.

It's nice to have (I like that my daily-driver Suzuki SX4 has AWD, and AWD was one of the features that led me to buy my vehicle), but I don't consider it a must-have feature.

This.

For me, it would bring about extra peace of mind. I'm rooted to the Seattle area for the forseeable future and while we don't get snow often, we tend to have at least 2 good storms a year that involve a good bit of ice on the roads. And we have some steep roads. REALLY steep. Staying put is all well and good but if the road is icy and I have a medical emergency, or happen to be caught near a swaying tree at high winds, or someone attempts a break-in, or a good friend is in need of my help, I'm going to be on the move. Cautiously as possible, freaking out a bit the whole time, but I'm still going to do it. Knowing this, as I search for my next vehicle I'm noticing that AWD or 4WD are just stuff that feels like and extra measure of safety to have. I might only potentially use it 4 days out of the year - and would always favor staying in place over driving slippery conditions with Seattle's idiotic drivers on the loose - but I know myself well enough to know that there are a lot of things that would motivate me to venture out in poor conditions so it's preferable to be slightly more prepared for that.

Bitty said:
Knowing this, as I search for my next vehicle I'm noticing that AWD or 4WD are just stuff that feels like and extra measure of safety to have. I might only potentially use it 4 days out of the year - and would always favor staying in place over driving slippery conditions with Seattle's idiotic drivers on the loose - but I know myself well enough to know that there are a lot of things that would motivate me to venture out in poor conditions so it's preferable to be slightly more prepared for that.

Bitty, I love my AWD and it is helpful for me living out in the country with winter weather---I'd be stuck out here without it. I know nothing about any other than Subaru so someone else can chime in if it's similar on other makes. I just want you to be aware that, at least with mine, if you get a flat tire that can't be fixed and has to be replaced, unless your tires are pretty new (under 11k miles if I remember right) you have to replace all 4 of them. :( I wasn't aware of that when I switched to the AWD though at the time it probably wouldn't have changed my mind. Just something to check on as you make your choices.

Good luck on the hunt! :)

i just thought of something,one of you pros should stage an offroad class at the rtr...get van stuck and show how to get em out :)

DazarGaidin said:
i just thought of something,one of you pros should stage an offroad class at the rtr...get van stuck and show how to get em out :)

That would be a blast! What a great idea.

Latest posts