how hard to work on van engine, etc?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt my first V-8 engine ('55 Chevy 265) when I was 14. I took a wind up alarm clock apart and put it back together at 12. I did a lot of drag racing in my youth so a lot of things broke and I was too, so had to do all my own wrenching. I have worked on vehicles (some van's) for the better part of my 70 years. I will do some poking around now to see if I can fix it easily. I repacked the front wheel bearings and replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my van in Alaska two summers ago. There was other work that had to be done but I took it to the shop for that stuff. I am to the point I don't even change my own oil anymore.

I guess the point is it depends on a person's mechanical aptitude and ability. Some people have it and others don't. If you aren't mechanically inclined, the mechanic is the answer. If you are mechanically inclined, you will know your limitations.

B and C said:
I rebuilt my first V-8 engine ('55 Chevy 265) when I was 14. ..........
Being an old person, I did a lot of that stuff myself, including engine rebuilds, on my cars prior to when the computerized, fuel-injected cars came out. You knew that the most common problems were: points, distributor cap, plugs, spark plug wires, EGR valve, air filter, fuel filter, water pump, engine belt, plus shocks and wheel bearings, and you could diagnose and/or fix those things with a timing light, dwell meter and cylinder compression tool. 

Nowadays say post-1990, cars have so many computerized sensors, it's difficult to know even where to start. On my friend's jeep, even the field winding voltage for the alternator was coming out of the computer, so he had to replace the computer. Plus with McPherson struts, it's easier to get yourself killed than to replace those suckers. Anymore we are kind of stuck with $150/hr service, other than for the trivial things. 

So, my feeling to avoid big repair bills is kind of have either a newer vehicle with low mileage, or else a 30+ YO vehicle that I could still work on myself. On my old van, I did a valve job, and I figure I could even do that out in the desert. But I'd hate to have to dismantle my newer van in the desert.

B and C said:
I rebuilt my first V-8 engine ('55 Chevy 265) when I was 14.  I took a wind up alarm clock apart and put it back together at 12.  I did a lot of drag racing in my youth so a lot of things broke and I was too, so had to do all my own wrenching.  I have worked on vehicles (some van's) for the better part of my 70 years.  I will do some poking around now to see if I can fix it easily.  I repacked the front wheel bearings and replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my van in Alaska two summers ago.  There was other work that had to be done but I took it to the shop for that stuff.  I am to the point I don't even change my own oil anymore.

I guess the point is it depends on a person's mechanical aptitude and ability.  Some people have it and others don't.  If you aren't mechanically inclined, the mechanic is the answer.  If you are mechanically inclined, you will know your limitations.
i couldn't agree more........ great that at 14 you had the confidence, and i guess skill, to rebuild a v8.... others --- such as me -- will probably never do that. i'm 62 and will be 63 shortly.

i don't think you have to be able to do a lot of diy stuff to be able to get out 'on the open road.' although that sure can help. i have some skills ------ but i encourage others, mechanical ability or not, to do the best they can, and find a good solution so they can chase their bliss...

whatever that might be.

yeah, i'm from california.......lol...............

start with the basics, learn how to service your vehicle, learn to service it yourself. oil and filter changes are basic. watch videos on you tube to see how its done. WARNING, watch several videos some of those people know less than an ant. after you have seen it done correctly a few times you will see what I mean.

learn the fire triangle. you need 3 things to make a fire, heat, air, and fuel. that is what goes on in your engine. if your engine don't run it is missing one of those things or it's not getting the proper amount of one at the right time.

know how to communicate with the mechanic. it's frustrating for the mechanic if you don't know what you are talking about. one of the most common mistakes in this area is this.

vehicle owner(VO), my car won't start
mechanic(M), is it turning over
VO, no it won't start
M, I know it won't start but is it turning over.
VO, no it won't start.
M, when you put the key in it and turn the key to start does the engine turn over
VO no it won't start.
M when you put the key in and turn the key to start does it make a noise.
VO yes but it won't start
M, so it's turning over but it doesn't fire
VO I guess It won't start
you don't know how frustrating this is for the mechanic. of course if the car is right there the mechanic can check it for himself. but if the car isn't there or the conversation is over the phone, @$%#!&&&. learn the lingo you don't know how many times I have had that conversation with people. listen if you don't know the difference between turning over and firing, call the tow truck, tow it to a mechanic and bend over. I don't know what else to tell you. like I said I don't see how people who live in there vehicle and don't know a thing about them how do they get along. your a mouse to an owl. you can only get lucky so many times, then you are dinner. highdesertranger

For decades I've had to resort to, "Will it go raw, raw, raw, raw"?

I've had absolute demands to replace starting batteries after carefully trying to explain why they don't need one.  I would keep bad ones around to trade in for the new one.  Kept me supplied with good batteries for years.

thanks, hdr for the information. i agree with you - but everyone is different, and face different crises in their lives. getting stuck in the middle of nowhere and facing uh, being stranded, having diabetes and still having a poor diet cause you're on some medications that 'say' you're uh...ok..sort of, being under debt and having no idea how to get out......... maybe i'm reaching, but we all face different crises, and we're better at facing some...not so good at dealing with others.....maybe the other crisis will get ya, in the end.......

i think people who don't know about how to fix their vehicles (in the middle of nowhere) probably get more modern rigs, may regularly see their mechanic, etc... or maybe they don't go out in the middle of nowhere, so they won't get stranded. not sure what i'll do. trying to figure it out.

I agree that if they are by themselves they should not go into the middle of nowhere. in fact no one should be in the middle of nowhere alone. highdesertranger

Vonbrown said:
If you break down in the middle of nowhere and you know what to repair, are you gonna throw up your hands and exclaim "I got to take the seat and doghouse off!?
Just sayin

My situation is different than the OP. I'm not yet a full time vanner and I live in a small town, not a city, but... exactly what Vonbrown said.

It just may be me, but I kinda like the challenge of learning something new (as long as it's not on a deserted road in the middle of the night). My current vehicle is a 2002 Astro cargo and whenever it has issues I can't handle, I'll let my mechanic do it, pepper him with questions and then do research on the internet. I like to know why something is acting up and how it affects other things. That way, I can hopefully diagnose the problem, save some money and do the Tim Allen man-grunt in the process. I've watched YouTube videos where vanners have had breakdowns and either on their own or  with help from fellow vanners, have figured out their problems. Seems gratifying in a way.

Anyway, my next ride will most likely be an older vehicle. I'll take a doghouse over a Sprinter any day of the week.

In comparison to the cars they are building now it's in my opinion easier to work with van's. In my Ford I pull the dog house and I have the back half of the engine exposed and in front it's like any other vehicle you have to tear it down to get at mostly anything. But with a manual and some tools you can tackle quite a bit of it on your own. Be patient be creative and loosen up those joints and you can do it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Beeps and eats said:
In comparison to the cars they are building now it's in my opinion easier to work with van's. In my Ford I pull the dog house and I have the back half of the engine exposed and in front it's like any other vehicle you have to tear it down to get at mostly anything. But with a manual and some tools you can tackle quite a bit of it on your own. Be patient be creative and loosen up those joints and you can do it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
what vintage van are you referring to, because i'd imagine (since i have little idea) that new vans are just as complicated as new cars..... so - 2000? or older? i'd be concerned about lots of things needing repair on vans that are over 20 years old... i AM kind of put off by some of the talk of tight quarters, reaching where you can't see what you're doing........ i just have a pretty strong feeling i would find that really difficult and frustrating.... thanks for the info......