how does one insulate the doors?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinker

Reaction score
specifically the rear doors. walls and roof, even the floor seem straightfoward enough, but i can see the doors presenting a host of problems, especially if you're going for a good install.&nbsp;<div>this seems especially true considering the rear is where most have their beds.</div>

Well there are couple ways... Doors external and internal...<br><br>External: you will have to pull the covering off the door which are held in place with sheet metal screws... If you see button things just pop them off with a knife of thin screw driver, the sheet metal screws are under them... With the cover off you know have a template... use reflectix or pink/blue Styrofoam (stronger than white) and cut out to the template... you can glue if you like, then simply re-install the cover and you have simple insulation... if you have windows simply cut reflectix to fit the window and mark the reflectix with "up" and "window" name for when you remove them to travel...<br><br>Internal: Remove as above and you will find access to the inner door... You can rip/cut up thick foam and stuff the inside of the door full making sure all mechanisms are working and reinstall the covers...<br><br>There is no reason you cant due both and this also goes for all doors... <br><br>The biggest problem is the seals around the doors, the older the van the worse the seals... You can order new seal and replace them or you can use the adhesive backed home insulating for around doors (Cheaper) and install that on/with the original seals till no air gets threw... <br><br>Walls/Roof: Same as the doors using reflectix... Use butcher paper and make a template, then cut out the reflectix and glue it to the side walls and roof... Best to do this in connecting sections to make it easy on your self... Take your time to do it right and you will be ahead of the game in heat or cold...<br><br>These projects are simple, cheap, effective, and can be done on a lazy Sunday anywhere from home to the field...<br><br>

Great write up 4x4Steve,<br>So far I've only done the floor in my cargo van, so your tips will help.<br><br>I like your use of <span id="post_message_1273288048">reflectix to fit the windows, I was at the Dollar Store yesterday and saw that had windshield sun blockers that look like reflectix and was thinking of cutting them to size for my back &amp; side windows and then using Velcro to hold them in place. Just a thought. <br></span>