How do you support yourself on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SaltySeaWitch said:
Tarot is considered fortune telling. When I called my city after finding the law, they said disclaimer or not, I could not legally give any type of readings. I know some tarot laws have been over turned in other states. I would just check the states/counties/cities you plan to visit and plan to be in places where it is legal. It's the con artist people charging to remove curses or bad auras who make it hard for genuine, helpful people who do nothing of the sort to harm people.

Thank you SSW for this information.  When I read the statute my Irish temper started to boil a tiny bit.  Mainly because it shows that those writing the laws know nothing of Tarot. As in- Tarot has roots and symbolism from the Kabbalah. Tarot also has it’s place in religions like Santeria, Voodoo & Wicca to name a few.   Me thinks, the exemptions are more Christian-based exemptions.  *sigh* You might be able to fight on their own ignorance using their own religious exemptions.  The statute itself is unconstitutional IMHO.  I know there are charlatans that have really conned many out of their hard earned money but advertisers do that every day!  ack!

Anyway, this is not the place to protest.  I wasn’t planning on reading for money on the road.  But I love studying and learning new decks and I read for people as a gift now.  I’m not sure how far along you or the OP are in your tarot studying but I’d highly, recommend, “78-Degrees of Wisdom” by Patricia Pollack. (Anything by Patricia is highly recommended!)   It’s not for beginners but it’s the bible of Tarot.  My other suggestion is once you have gotten a handle on the Rider-Waite deck. (the deck to start learning on) Play around with other decks.  Each has something to offer! 

Gigi :heart: 

nobodyG17 said:
Always been interested in hypnotherapy.   I will have to start reading up on it again.  It would be cool if you interested to start a thread on your experiences with it if you wanted to share.

I second this, SSW.  Please start a thread on this.  I know NOTHING about hypnotherapy but would love to ask a few things!

Gigi  :heart:

gcal said:
I love how they know that religions do exactly the same thing so they have to write in an exception for them.

Couldn't agree more.
nobodyG17 said:
Always been interested in hypnotherapy.   I will have to start reading up on it again.  It would be cool if you interested to start a thread on your experiences with it if you wanted to share.

Will do. Might be later this week. It's been busy at work. I've actually not been able to be online.

Gigi said:
Thank you SSW for this information.  When I read the statute my Irish temper started to boil a tiny bit.  Mainly because it shows that those writing the laws know nothing of Tarot. As in- Tarot has roots and symbolism from the Kabbalah. Tarot also has it’s place in religions like Santeria, Voodoo & Wicca to name a few.   Me thinks, the exemptions are more Christian-based exemptions.  *sigh* You might be able to fight on their own ignorance using their own religious exemptions.  The statute itself is unconstitutional IMHO.  I know there are charlatans that have really conned many out of their hard earned money but advertisers do that every day!  ack!

Anyway, this is not the place to protest.  I wasn’t planning on reading for money on the road.  But I love studying and learning new decks and I read for people as a gift now.  I’m not sure how far along you or the OP are in your tarot studying but I’d highly, recommend, “78-Degrees of Wisdom” by Patricia Pollack. (Anything by Patricia is highly recommended!)   It’s not for beginners but it’s the bible of Tarot.  My other suggestion is once you have gotten a handle on the Rider-Waite deck. (the deck to start learning on) Play around with other decks.  Each has something to offer! 

Gigi :heart: 

Mine too! I was so pissed when I found it out. I will definitely look up that book. Maybe we will meet in our travels and can exchange info. I'll share my hypnotherapy knowledge in exchange for your Tarot knowledge??

Gigi said:
I second this, SSW.  Please start a thread on this.  I know NOTHING about hypnotherapy but would love to ask a few things!

Gigi  :heart:

Will do. I would be interested in knowing how many are interested in the subject.

I didn't realize that it was illegal in places to read for someone. I will have to really think this through. I would also like a thread on hypnotherapy.

After reading this thread I find myself watching YouTube videos on knife sharpening very interesting!

souperjumble said:
After reading this thread I find myself watching YouTube videos on knife sharpening very interesting!

I have never had to pay to get a knife sharpened in my life!   :s  I was raised on a farm, where a sharp knife was used to process up to 50 chickens a day.  A hand wand would do the trick in  few seconds.  On breaks, we would get out the wet stone.  I always thought that was a part of normal learning. 

My oldest daughter is currently restricted to a wheelchair.  Today at work, one of the foot rests fell out.  She asked if anyone had any tools.  Out of 25 people there, nobody had as much as a crescent wrench.  Tomorrow I make her up a simple tool bag.

We have become a society of people who can't fix mechanical things anymore. We are mainly a throw away society. My dad grew up on a farm and they were very poor. So if something were to break they had to fix it.

SaltySeaWitch said:
I read it is illegal in 11 states. There are municipal codes all over TN against it. I do know there are some places in TN it allowed but around here, no.

Sec. 19-186. - Fortunetelling.

(a)

Prohibited acts. No person shall advertise by sign, circular or handbill or in any newspaper, periodical, magazine or other publication, or by any other means, to tell fortunes, to find or restore lost or stolen property, to locate an oil well, gold or silver or other ore or metal or natural product, to restore lost love or friendship or affection, or to unite or procure lovers, husbands, wives, lost relatives or friends, for or without pay, by means of occult or psychic powers, faculty or forces, clairvoyance, psychology, psychometry, spirits, spiritualism, mediumship, sayership, prophecy, astrology, palmistry, necromancy, graphology or other crafts, science, cards, talismans, charms, potions, magnetism or magnetized articles or substances, oriental mysteries or magic of any kind or nature, or numerology, or engage in or carry on any business the advertisement of which is prohibited by this section.

(b)

Exemptions. The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not be construed to include, prohibit or interfere with the exercise of any religious or spiritual function of any priest, minister, rector or accredited representative of a bona fide church or religion where such priest, minister, rector or accredited representative holds a certificate of credit, commission or ordination under the ecclesiastical laws of a religious corporation incorporated under the laws of any state or territory of the United States of America, or any voluntary religious association, and who conforms to the rights and practices prescribed by the supreme conference, convocation, convention, assembly, association or senate of the system of faith with which he is affiliated; provided, however, that any church or religious organization which is organized for the primary purpose of conferring certificates of commission, credit or ordination for a price, and not primarily for the purpose of teaching and practicing a religious doctrine or belief, shall not be deemed to be a bona fide church or religious organization.

(Code 1962, §§ 28-700, 28-701)

In Nevada you have to be licensed to do that. And have to have a place of business before you apply for the license so it takes a little money to get started!

This actually my 1st post to the forum :)

Now, I'm not an attorney but I have done tarot and palmistry work both online and in person with someone setting in front of you.

The legality of divination type work varies by countries to all the way down to local communities. In the US where some places fortune-telling is “illegal” a way around this is to become an ordained minister and structure your services as offering (example: 3 card spread for an offering of $5.00).

To become ordained is actually quite easy and best of all free.

If you have a home base, print off the confirmation page you get from ULC, take it usually to your county clerk.

Side note and possible income: If you decide you want to perform weddings since you're now ordained you might need to order a license certificate from ULC (depends on location requirements) and present that to the county clerk.

A traveling ministry? I don't know how that would work. Needs to be researched but I probably would get a printed certificate of being ordained and keep it with me should I be asked to prove I'm foreal.

souperjumble said:
I didn't realize that it was illegal in places to read for someone.  I will have to really think this through.

todheil said:
The legality of divination type work varies by countries to all the way down to local communities. In the US where some places fortune-telling is “illegal” a way around this is to become an ordained minister and structure your services as offering  . . .

Or... just don't attempt to predict the future (fortune-telling) with tarot cards, since it is explicitly fortune telling that is outlawed, regardless of method.  

There is so much more you can do with tarot cards that isn't fortune-telling nor connected to any sort of religion.  

The disclaimer "For entertainment purposes only" works in just about every state or locality that bans fortune-telling. 

If anyone wants to know more about tarot cards and how to make a living reading tarot, visit aeclectic.net and ask questions of the very knowledgeable card readers in their forum.

BTW, Universal Life Church (ULT) "ministers" are not recognized by a lot of places (states or cities) as able to officiate at a wedding, so know the law.  There are other organizations that ordain people as ministers that are actually legitimate and recognized as such. Also keep in mind that, even if one has been ordained by an organization that is legally recognized as a church in all 50 states, ones still has to apply for a license or permit in whatever locality in which you want to officiate at a wedding. Usually, it's at the county level but there are some cities and towns that have their own requirements.

The topic is tarot is huge but most know only the fortune-telling aspect of it and most folks that will want their cards read will want predictions/forecasts of future trends and that's a fact from experience.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

todheil, I couldn't agree more...and the number one question? "will I find my soul mate, where, and when?" Sheesh people are silly - 1 question means one.

I love the art of the tarot decks, the symbolism, and the artists point of view for each card. I've been thinking and stressing about downsizing my collection and just which decks I'll be taking with me. I have my favourites and yet I have decks I've never opened because they haven't called to me yet.

Souperjumble, what I have noticed a lot on YouTube is people are having other people donate to them. They post videos and ask for a fee for future videos. Not sure how viable that is though or if anyone does it here on the forums. You could ask and find out where the money is donated to you to get forwarded.

Cheers.

todheil said:
. . . most folks that will want their cards read will want predictions/forecasts of future trends and that's a fact from experience.

So what?  If you're practicing where fortune telling is not allowed, you can't do that for money.  And being ordained by mail through an internet church and calling the money you make an "offering" is likely not going to help you get out of being arrested or fined.

Re fortune-telling, most good and ethical readers I know, will not get involved in divination (fortune telling) AT ALL, regardless of whether it is outlawed or not and regardless of what the querent is hoping for.  So, interpreting what comes up in the cards as possible outcomes, influences, or something more psychological, rather than coming out with blatant statements that this or that will happen, is more ethical as well as the way to avoid accusations of fortune-telling.  Again, aeclectic.net is a great resource for learning.

HOWEVER, this thread is about making money on the road, so enough about that.

To stay closer to the topic, I think it would be a lot of fun and possibly quite profitable to travel to various types of fairs, flea markets, and festivals to sell items or services.  Reading tarot is low cost to do, but one could also sell handmade jewelry or crafts, offer massage (if licensed), or come up with any number of ideas.  If one doesn't know how to make things to sell, establish a business and tax ID and buy interesting or practical merchandise at wholesale to sell as a retailer.

There are arts and crafts fairs, food- and drink-themed fairs, flea markets, music festivals, holiday events, and so much more.  At festival.net, you can research events that want vendors and go to their websites and see what kinds of vendors they seek and what their requirements are.

I've heard that chicken entrails works better.............

CityWoman said:
For what?  Making broth?

For telling the future.

The Romans swore by it.

EDIT: Actually I think they used geese---I don't think they had chickens.......

BTW, when people ask me how I make money on the road, I tell them I rob gas stations.