How do you put your pants on?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
Other than "one leg at a time", like the rest of us of course.

It seems kinda silly but this is one thing I can't wrap my head around for those without high-top vans.  I'm not anywhere near nimble and can't kneel or squat easily due to old knee injuries.   I can see cooking/working from a seated position, etc, and I could easily handle the limited headroom for 99% of everyday life, but...

Whether you're pooping in a bucket or a fancy space-age machine that gift wraps your deposits in mylar, you still have to pull your pants up. 

It's a piece of cake in my old Vandura with a high top, but I'd really like to trick out my minivan for more fuel efficient travel.  

I'm trying to envision pulling up and fastening my jeans without being able to straighten both knees and hips at the same time.  The method escapes me.  I suppose one could lay on the bed, unless you have a set up where the bed is put away during the day.

Short of a wardrobe consisting only of peasant skirts and sweatpants, how is it done?

Actually I put them on both legs ate once;) In a minivan i would do it laying down, although I must admit, having done the Kilt thing for halloween more than once, I sort of envy you ladies being able to appear in public in skirts without ridicule :D

I bend forward at the waist, pull them up, then lean back on the bed to zip, button and buckle. Or if I'm alone in the boonies, I step outside. I also have some elastic waist pants and shorts which just need to be pulled up. Maybe that's your solution. Or nudity.

I live in a minivan and I generally put mine on laying down. Just get it over the feet and legs and then arch your back to pull it up to the waist.

That said, I agree with MrNoodly, I get dressed and poop in a bucket outside if I'm out in the boonies. I also hung a tarp around my back door(the type that hinges up) to give me a little bit of privacy. It only cost about $10 at Walmart and I use a few bungees to secure it. It covers about 75% of the space around the door. I probably should have gotten a bigger one, but this works for my needs. I generally try to park away from other people anyway, so as long as the side that the tarp doesn't cover is facing the trees I'm content.

I sit and pull both pant legs up past knees with waist band around thighs.  Then I kneel and pull waist band up and fasten belt.  In my Windstar sitting is not at the back but up where the second row of seats used to be.

So it sounds like laying down is the popular option when discretion is needed.  I can work with that.
It beats showing up for test drives with a porta potty.

I tend to sleep in my clothing and since I don't go into work on the weekends (I could still go in and use the shower) I tend to wear the clothes I wore Friday, also Sat and Sunday (Yes, even to church)....So, dressing in my van is not something that happens often....

It sounds very similar to putting pants on in a tent, all well and good right up until a leg cramp hits...

ArtW said:
... having done the Kilt thing for halloween more than once, I sort of envy you ladies being able to appear in public in skirts ...

ArtW, there is a company that makes Uitlikilts for men with pockets. My husband has a couple. Great idea and 'freeing' as it is. Here is a link for you. :)  https://www.utilikilts.com/

BradKW said:
It sounds very similar to putting pants on in a tent, all well and good right up until a leg cramp hits...

Aieee!!! God that sucks I get them when passing water at times....

when I'm inside my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock I will put both legs in at same time and then just to a butt-hop and get'em up to the waist. Should be able to do the same move without a hightop.

: ) Thom

I have never had problems getting pants on. Getting them off...