How do You Handle Your Dogs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I def wouldn't classify my dog as defenseless, I don't know his background as I got him at 2 but he's got a set of teeth he knows how to use them. Not that i'd purposely set him up to fight one, there's a big difference between a dog and a coyote that hunts for food to survive. I'm perfectly aware that coyotes exist and could be a threat, but I don't worry about em either. I have them howling outside behind my house every night. If they move in and become a problem they'll be dealt with with a bullet. No one's lost a dog that I know of to a coyote in the 4 years i've been here. I'm more worried about the cars, dog succumbs to that threat once a month around here. If i'm somewhere and they're present i'm not just gonna set him free to go wander around with them.

A couple of small hounds will tree a mountain lion and bears and they could make swiss cheese out of them with out even trying.

my dog grew up being either on a ranch or on gold claims. he has outdoor smarts. I leash him on rare occasions. when shopping I go in the cool parts of the day and park in the shade if it's warm. I leave my windows down all the way, nobody with half a brain is going to stick their arm into the open window. he knows coyotes and snakes and alarms me of their presence. he lets all the rodents, skunks, and raccoons know that our camp is nowhere to get a free lunch or build a nest(pack rats). he never roams far from camp and barks at anybody approaching. I would say he is a all around great dog. highdesertranger

I live on a busy highway, so my Shih Tzu has never been off leash unless she is in our fenced in yard. She knows thats the way it is and waits at the door for me to put the leash on.....Dogs are creatures of habit, so if they dont know any different, the are not affected by not having that freedom. Better that way than having her run over.

My dog is no problem. I keep his ashes in a container on the dash.

highdesertranger said:
I leave my windows down all the way
I can't leave my windows down more that a couple inches. Elmo knows how to open the automatic doors at the stores, and will go shopping without me if given the chance. His favorite stores to go in are Home Depot, and any dog store. There is a dog store by the laundromat in town that he is especially fond of, and I have to be vigilant when doing laundry or I will be buying the store. - Crofter

Coyotes are often seen as loners, and they can hunt alone, but they usually live in family packs, and they will hunt in packs. You may only see one at a time, but there are usually more around. A family will usually control their territorial area. The are opportunists, and will eat rodents, garbage, rabbits, deer and pets. If you have a dog that goes after a coyote, the coyote usually runs away, the dog follows. The rest of the pack closes in behind and they try to hamstring him, then kill him. They are extremely adaptable, and I doubt that there is any part of this country where they can't be found.

Now I am worried about predators. I have a couple of ideas.

For when I'm hiking, what about some sort of bag to carry my 20 pound dog. They make slings, bags, backpacks to carry small dogs. Have any of you used these?

For when I'm setting outside at my campsite, what about a collar that will emit a signal if my dog wanders more than a certain distance away. I assume such a thing exists but don't know how to Google it.

Something not often mentioned, and probably rarely a big problem; but anyone with small(er) dogs have to also be aware of any feathered predators also. Many small breeds weigh approximately the same as some of the rabbits and other prey the owls/hawks/eagles/??? are used to hunting; ... and even if a few pounds heavier, an unsuccessful "swoop/grab" could/would probably fatally injure a dog on impact after falling from the bird's talons ... At least coyotes/wolves make noises/smells they are in the area (usually); a bird of prey would plunge out of the sky without any warning a dog could pick up.

Letting your dog roam (esp small dogs) tends to end badly, sooner or later. Some dogs aren't as smart as others, and if they run off, chasing a rabbit or something, they don't know how to get back to you.

If there are quite a few people on the trail, there seems to be less of a chance that a large predator would be nearby, but that's not an absolute. Some predators have discovered that pets are easy prey, a quick meal.

When you're traveling with a pet, you have to adapt to the changing circumstances -- the circumstances will not adapt to fit your presence there.

i can walk Buddy past your barbecue, no leash, using voice commands alone, but he is a house dog (sometimes he's a 70 lb lap dog) and I wouldn't let him run free in the woods, or desert
He's fine on a leash, or off, in the city

Elmo wants to know what the dogs do while we are working as campground hosts? Anyone have this experience?

My dog would tell your dog bark bark bark which translates to you get to ride with mom and pop as they are buzzing around the campground in the supplied OHV. At least this is what I've seen at two of the three NM state parks. I don't know if this is acceptable. Both dogs were small.

I've worked in a campground full time for 4 years and have three Poodles. My Managers have been full time for 6 years with three pups as well so working as a host should not be an issue. Wouldn't take a job if the place wasn't pet friendly. I have a double sized exercise pen and lattice under the rig so I can leave my door open during the day in nice weather. In season they are always on leash while walking, off season I let them run around the back forty a bit with me watching of course. That said, my pups are (people and dog) friendly and relatively quiet. They're pretty much bombproof when it comes to kids and don't even flinch at noise or chaos. They know the routine and have adapted beautifully. We spend two months traveling every winter and just being careful that they don't get overheated or in the case of the little ones, too cold, and they really seem to enjoy it. On one trip we stayed in eleven different places, van, rv, cabin, hotels, and friends and family homes in seven states. The only constant is that they were with me and that made it ok. They're a lot of work but can't imagine living without them.

I would love to take my dogs hiking. But they are small, and knowing of the dangers lurking out there means they won't go hiking with me. I definitely won't carry them. They would be miserable, and I'd be in a lot of pain carrying a 12-lb and a 22-lb dog.