how do you guys wash your solar panels on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahmon

Reaction score
while installing a tv satellite dish, i noticed my solar panels were covered with bird shit and road dirt. i haven’t cleaned them in over a year but they still produce more power than i need.  

where do you guys wash em?   or do you?   i have a shuttle bus and ladder but no car wash will do my bus cuz it’s too tall.

I use a ladder for access then I use a windshield squeegee, the kind that folds and will extend to about 4 feet or so. 

I spritz the panels with some diluted simple green cleaner then soap up the squeegee in a bucket of soapy water and clean the panels off. I can also get the windshield, headlights, mirrors, side windows, all at the same time, if needed.

Works for me.

You could try going to one of those self-service car washes with the pressure washer hoses. Just make sure not to get the full pressure too close to the panels.

I have a standard cargo van. There are a few ways I can wash the panel.

— Stand in the back door and side door and use a sponge mop
— Use the mop from the ground when the panel is tilted
— Stand in the back/side doors at the do-it-yourself car wash
— Use the large truck/rv catwalk at DIY car washes that have them
— Use big rig car washes
— Drive around in the rain

And I know a 70+ year old woman who has had hip and shoulder surgeries who climbs out the driver window and onto the roof to wash her panels.

18" squeegee on extensible pole.
Diluted white vinegar.
Garden sprayer (same as my shower) with water to rinse.
Ladder on my Class C.
Three step folding ladder for my cargo van's panels. Ladder is stored on the 2x4 supports aft the rearmost panel.
Whenever, no set schedule.
I always park with the panels in the sun, therefore no bird crap.

go to one of the truck wash, RV wash facilities, not the automatic wash kind, the self wash type. They have tall scaffold ramping you can walk on along the sides of the bay. Take a long handled squeege up there with you to use after you wash and rinse. They make them that can screw onto extension poles.

The type of car wash I am describing looks like the facility in this youtube video.

My house has some windows which are difficult to reach from the ground.  Setting up an extension ladder all the time is a hassle.  So I found one of these at a Walmart.  I can use it with my garden hose or with a 1 1/2 quart pump sprayer set to stream.  It works well for me.

[img=300x300]https://www.amresupply.com/thumbnail/product/2246308/500/600[/img]

[img=200x200]https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/6/56167_W3.jpg[/img]

I don't have solar for my rig (or need it at this time)   But a telescoping pole can be handy as different things could be fitted to the end.  Those "Webster" broom's are great for knocking down spider webs or just odd jobs.