How do you get gasoline from your vehicle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
Siphoning is doable, but not as easy as before the tanks were redesigned.

[video=youtube]

I wonder whether a "T"  and a valve could be installed in the fuel line and pumped into a container using the vehicle's fuel pump?

Well that's a cute trick.......Timely......I'll be packing a Honda and plan on "transferring" fuel from the van to the generator

My plan was to use a manual transfer pump

doug

I emptied the gas tank on a Jeep. I removed the fuel line at the manifold and turned the key. The pump ran for a few minutes then stopped. Redo the key off/on and it pumped for a few more minutes.

Weight said:
I emptied the gas tank on a Jeep. I removed the fuel line at the manifold and turned the key. The pump ran for a few minutes then stopped. Redo the key off/on and it pumped for a few more minutes.

Is there a way to add a T and a valve at the manifold?

Boyntonstu said:
Is there a way to add a T and a valve at the manifold?

Of course there is, just depends on the make and model. Today's newer vehicles with some form of EFI also have a fuel pressure tap for testing that could be used. But I'd guess the flow off the pressure test valve would be small. Could work but may take a long time to get what you need. 

Anyone with the right know how, tools and parts could tap a fuel line prior to the fuel rail, but you need to be damn careful. If I'm not wrong fuel pressure  is now like  50 to 80PSI. 
the engines ECU may very well alter the pressure as well depending on several input factors. But in this case we would probably be at the nominal pressure for idle. 

Another issue I 'm not sure of is what happens if you energize the system without running the motor? The ECU may see that the pressure is way off and the engine is not running, causing a possible fault . 

Obviously I'm not sure as I come from the old days of Carburetors, mechanical fuel pumps! I will tell you I switch over a Toyota Land Cruiser from Mechanical to electric racing pump. Whoa, had to put a pressure regulator in right away, so if you can tap the fuel some way with out disturbing the OEM system, an external Electric will surely do the job pronto.

here's the problem with tapping the line. when you turn the key on your fuel pump runs a few seconds to prime the system, then it shuts off until the engine starts. so you can't do it that way. now you could start the engine and bleed off a little fuel but you can't let the pressure drop to much or the injectors will not work properly and a code will be set. all this trouble and expense just to get around carrying a gas is shall we say not the best practice. another point what are you going to pump/siphon the gas into? a gas can? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
here's the problem with tapping the line.  when you turn the key on your fuel pump runs a few seconds to prime the system,  then it shuts off until the engine starts.  so you can't do it that way.  now you could start the engine and bleed off a little fuel but you can't let the pressure drop to much or the injectors will not work properly and a code will be set.  all this trouble and expense just to get around carrying a gas is shall we say not the best practice.  another point what are you going to pump/siphon the gas into?  a gas can?   highdesertranger

A Heet container?   :angel:

When I was a kid my dad had a hose with a little rubber plug at the end of a string. You put the hose in the tank, pull the end of the string to move the air tight plug the length of the hose. It worked quick and easy every time. Very slick, I tried looking for one a while back but was not successful.

If you only need to carry the small amount that fits into a Heet container I'd just buy this. No ethanol either, so won't gum up the carbs on small engines. Of if you have a 2 cycle you can get it in pre mixed. It's an expensive way to go, unless you're not using much or you're using it in something that doesn't get used much. It's what I use in my chain saw (premixed) as I only use it a few times a year and don't have to worry about the ethanol when it's not being used.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-free-Fuel-6527238/203571144

I saw a post somewhere about using a small 12v pump that can handle about 35 gallons per hour. I paid about 16 dollars for one, and bought some rubber gas hose to fit it. I put powerpole connectors on it and mounted it to a piece of wood.

In an emergency, the hose is easily swapped from 3 feet to 8 feet, in case you had to get gas from a deep tank.

HAHA A Tenn. credit card, use a clear hose so you can see the gas when it comes thru the hose. Stick one end in the tank and suck on the other. When u see the gas coming put the hose in the generator.

Mine don't, I had to buy a locking gas cap. It makes a ck engine come on from the pressure not being accurate in the gas tank. Must be a chevy thing,lol