How do you define success?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been working towards fulltime RVing for a couple years now but haven't quite got there yet.  I am now working for a local company as well as doing website design that I had been doing since 2002 so hopefully it won't be much longer.

The past two years have been tough....really tough!!! But like I said, things are looking up and I'm anxious to see what the future holds. 
Life can throw us curves but it's how we react that determines what will come of it. A friend of mine shared this story with me and its so powerful I wanted to share it with the group. 

http://www.taketimeforlife.com/a-must-read.html

Thanks,
Dan

Wow, thank you for sharing that. Pretty powerful. I am glad things are looking up for you as well. Thank you for sharing that story and the reminder of what is really important. Peace!

taketimeforlife said:
I've been working towards fulltime RVing for a couple years now but haven't quite got there yet.  I am now working for a local company as well as doing website design that I had been doing since 2002 so hopefully it won't be much longer.

The past two years have been tough....really tough!!! But like I said, things are looking up and I'm anxious to see what the future holds. 
Life can throw us curves but it's how we react that determines what will come of it. A friend of mine shared this story with me and its so powerful I wanted to share it with the group. 

http://www.taketimeforlife.com/a-must-read.html

Thanks,
Dan

This may or may not be helpful to you, but I have several fulltiming friends who make a decent online income building, hosting, and maintaining websites.

The key is in the hosting, they get paid monthly from each customer, so their income increases with each new customer, with very little extra work, and if maintenance is required, they get paid extra for that.

A couple of years ago I also started offering hosting through a master reseller account.  Costs me $20/mo and I can host as many accounts as I like and keep 100% of the profits.  I don't build or maintain any of the sites, just advertise my hosting service through another place that charges $20/mo and in just under 2 years have built it up to bring in a reliable $2500/mo income.  Only have 140 customers but they pay like clockwork, and I'm adding more regularly.

Getting stuff that pays monthly with little to no work on your part is the secret to building an online income.  Selling individual items you only get paid once, so it requires a whole lot more work.

Success is happiness and balance in your life. Society tends to want to throw us out of balance if only for the reason that they want our money. Things like gold, diamonds, big cars, boats and houses that you struggle your whole life to get. Once you have them you realize how little value they actually hold compared to family, friends and health.

Stories like this have been told for many years. When someone is dying they suddenly realize what is important! Most spend there lives on careers and buying lots of nice things and paying for the the dream house. They listen to all the financial experts, Barrow money to have good credit score, buy a bigger house for a better tax return. The work ethic becomes "work hard and long hours and you will have a good retirement". The truth is that when they reach retirement they are sick and dying from working too much, bad eating habits and lack of attention to their spiritual self. Work has became everything to pay for the American Dream! Several years ago I started realize something was wrong with my life and I come realize that this is all a lie that steals our lives from us!

An online friend just died yesterday. He had spent some of his later work life doing something he thought fulfilling, saving for a future where he could do what he actually wanted to be doing: sailing. Now, I think I'd heard a similar story before, but worth repeating, and it's not the same story.

He started having health issues, and took it as a hint to get going early with his dreams of sailing. Not in as grand a boat as he'd expected, not with as awesome a house/home base as he dreamt, but he retired early, bought a sensible boat, and sailed/motored from I think VA down to FL. Where he set up a modest home. Unfortunately a heart condition meant he couldn't do more than day-trips, but at least he was living the life he wanted.

Continuing heart issues -- minor heart attacks, more or less chronic heart condition -- led to bigger ones. Had to give up all cycling, another passion of his, even to the point where he could not manage a tadpole recumbent tricycle. Eventually, he reluctantly sold his boat.

But he was still as involved as he could be. He represented his neighbors in court or other official meetings, helped them with paperwork, a big help in a neighborhood with lots of ESLs. They repaid the favor, not with money, which they didn't have, but at his urging, hosted cookouts at his place, mowed his lawn, kept his yard neat and tidy, did his heavy lifting.

Unfortunately, all the heart issues led to strokes. Smaller ones, larger ones. Still he fought on. Until yesterday...

Never had a chance to tell him, but his decision to light out for his dream and retire early to pursue it is one of the many reasons and inspirations for my own pursuit of the vandwelling lifestyle.

I'm glad I didn't wait, glad I jumped in, and thank him for both his initial inspiration, and as hard as it was hearing of his downward spiraling health, heeding his warning-by-example: Do what you want to before it's too late.

He was a self-proclaimed atheist, with a methodical and scientific mind. But a few weeks ago, was revived from a series of flatline events having experienced an NDE, white light, beautiful music, and all. Totally tripped him out, to say the least. Between that, a life well lived, and having touched many lives in a positive way, I can only hope that he died in a state of grace, experiencing one last Grand Adventure on the way out of this plane of existence. RIP, Tom Stormcrowe.

I can say from what my observations have been while working with the dying that this happens often. If I had to pick just one of the best lessons I've learned from them it would be to make sure you leave as little unsaid and undone before time runs out.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
This may or may not be helpful to you, but I have several fulltiming friends who make a decent online income building, hosting, and maintaining websites.

The key is in the hosting, they get paid monthly from each customer, so their income increases with each new customer, with very little extra work, and if maintenance is required, they get paid extra for that.

A couple of years ago I also started offering hosting through a master reseller account.  Costs me $20/mo and I can host as many accounts as I like and keep 100% of the profits.  I don't build or maintain any of the sites, just advertise my hosting service through another place that charges $20/mo and in just under 2 years have built it up to bring in a reliable $2500/mo income.  Only have 140 customers but they pay like clockwork, and I'm adding more regularly.

Getting stuff that pays monthly with little to no work on your part is the secret to building an online income.  Selling individual items you only get paid once, so it requires a whole lot more work.
Since you don't accept PM's I'll ask here(way off topic), I have a lot of clients that ask about web designers, and frankly find very very few I'll recommend. It sounds as if your confident of the others you mention that do this. Any contact info, recommendations> 
you can PM me. thanks

Mike R

MikeRuth said:
Since you don't accept PM's I'll ask here(way off topic), I have a lot of clients that ask about web designers, and frankly find very very few I'll recommend. It sounds as if your confident of the others you mention that do this. Any contact info, recommendations> 
you can PM me. thanks

Mike R

Wow, glad you mentioned that, I had no idea that PM's were turned off, I may have that fixed now.  Sent you a PM!

Thanks again!

Thank you mconlonx for sharing that. And I am sorry for the loss of your online friend. Peace.

Success. The progressive accomplishment of worthwhile, pre-determined, personal goals in several areas of your life, like: family, spiritual, physical, financial and career, if you choose to have one. The goals should be written down, short and long term and re-evaluated regularly. If you are broke, lonely and depressed, but have a set of goals for tomorrow, next week and next year, you are already successful. If you are wealthy with "things" but have no purpose or goals for tomorrow, then you may be a failure already. IMHO.