How do stock vehicle vents work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I guess my question could also be phrased as such: If you install a roof fan and its running and exhausting air, will it pull air through the stock ac/heat/vent system of a vehicle that is not running? If not, why...and can it be modified??

Thanks   :)

varies with the vehicle. does your vehicle have manual vents? what vehicle? highdesertranger

My 2012 Ford work van has a vent setting in the heater/AC controls, my 2006 previous van did too so I imagine that one would too.......

Just another note looking at that ad you linked......" Loaded with tools, too many to list.".......That seems strange to me. Why wouldnt he sell the tools separately.......My 1st thought was...Is this truck stolen or something?....just sayin'

wow cool, tools included, double cool. so now we get to the part are the vents manual? if not manual, it would depend on the climate control system. highdesertranger

poncho62 said:
My 2012 Ford work van has a vent setting in the heater/AC controls, my 2006 previous van did too so I imagine that one would too.......

Just another note looking at that ad you linked......" Loaded with tools, too many to list.".......That seems strange to me. Why wouldnt he sell the tools separately.......My 1st thought was...Is this truck stolen or something?....just sayin'

Nah, it's legit...actually know the prior owner who sold it as part of a package cabinetry shop, new owner really didn't want the truck and it's sat unregistered for a few months now.

Definitely loaded with tools...pretty much a mobile shop. It'd be fun to really see what's all in there, as there's too much to take in a a glance. Hoping to sell most of the stuff to offset cost...if it works out.

To test the vent operation...

Turn off the truck with the controls set to vents open.
Tape a strip of paper on a dash vent so you can see it from outside the van thru the windshield. (make sure the individual vent is also open)
Use a leaf blower, shopvac, air hose, etc. to blow air thru hvac intake under the grate at the base of the windshield.
If your paper flutters, you got ventilation.

Or use a fan pushing air into the van to create positive pressure, and use a smoke pencil (or stick of incense) to watch where the air records exits. If held near the vents and a steady stream of smoke flows towards the vents, you got ventilation.