How "cheap" are you actually living?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
Just saying... it would have been better to give away all my treasures than to carry them into a mobile home that was about to burn. Bless others with your stuff, if you can. When we move on to heaven we won't be taking any of it with us.
That's a story I won't forget, thanks for sharing it. I remember losing things in my travels over the years, just job-hopped around the U.S. a lot, and feeling kind of bad because I don't have them anymore but now all I want is at least some of my sanity back.  It was going away long before covid, but that only enhanced the urge to really start living life instead of waiting for it to happen.  What's that saying?? Life is what happens while you're waiting for it, something like that ;) Denise

PS I think the "American Dream" can be detrimental to our health ;(

G0ldengirl68 said:
now all I want is at least some of my sanity back.
Yes, there's nothing so valuable as our peace of mind, and as you said, "the American Dream can be detrimental to our health."

Thanks, Sofi!

I need the mindset - that the joy is in the journey, not in the accumulation of the products we create along the way.

Even after the massive purge of things in Idaho, and the burning of most of what was left over here in Happy Camp - even after all that, I've got too much stuff. My cargo trailer that I bought for an art studio is stuffed with boxes full of stuff. That means I can't use it for the thing I intended it for. I see more downsizing in my future, but as for today, I'll be going out to my van to finish emptying it so I can get it converted. I'm moving from the "no build" build to the complete "keep it simple" build which may not turn out to be as simple as I anticipated. My RV repairman friend has a lot of fancy RVish ideas on what to do with it. As far as my van conversion goes, I tried "cheap" and now it will be "not cheap at all" but it will hopefully be a nice home for me, and cheaper than building sticks and bricks.

G0ldengirl68 said:
....prices for the National or State Parks I plan to stay in...
Using Forest Service campgrounds will add up to a cost of $300 per month if you have a pass (half price camping at Forest Service campgrounds where available). You must display the pass and list the pass number on the pay envelope to get your discount.

Forest Service pass also gets you free day use at forest service areas. Some day use areas are private or county etc, so find out if your pass is accepted before using the facilities.

State and national park campgrounds cost much more (plan on $30 to $50 per night), find out if your discount is accepted before going. 

Boondocking is free, and is away from the noisey  crowds of partiers and smokey fires of the campgrounds.
-crofter

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/passes-permits/recreation-fees-passes

crofter said:
Using Forest Service campgrounds will add up to a cost of $300 per month if you have a pass (half price camping at Forest Service campgrounds where available).

That can be an average depending on location but the fees vary a lot and some are free. The ones I've stayed at are mostly around $14 and with my pass they're just $7/night.  Some of my fave USFS campgrounds in Colorado are free after Labor Day but with no services.

In British Columbia we have a system of provincial Recreation Sites and Trails.  These are in addition to Provincial Parks.  There are many hundreds of them.  I've stayed at dozens.  The larger sites, closer to urban areas usually charge between $12 and $18 per night.  Large numbers of them, with as few as 2 sites, (2 tables & fire pits, 1 outhouse) are free.  That's where I stay.  They're on crown land and like many places there is a 14 day limit.

To aid in my search for new places, I recently cut and pasted charts of all the Rec Sites in 1 of the 4 general recreation areas into a spreadsheet.  I deleted all the sites that didn't have camp sites.  Many are only day use.  I also deleted all the sites that charge fees.  This left me with only 295 sites left in an area covering less than 1/4 of the province.  I'll probably print a copy of the list but, the way I made my list retained all of the links to the description pages for the camps, with photos, description and driving instructions.

This link goes to the Rec Site page on the provincial website for anyone already in BC, planning to visit BC or just BC curious.

Recreation sites and recreation trails - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)

MG

In PA our state forestry sites only include a fire ring at a picnic table. So it’s a carry in carry out thing or a cat hole for the number two. We have to make a reservation can stay up to seven days but there’s no charge at all. I estimate we have nearly 500 sites like this across the forest PA. I hesitate to say this because I don’t want the sites to be used up but if somebody needs them there is a way at least here to camp for free.

Perhaps the site you’re talking about paying for our campground with improvements and such. If I had to pay even to seven dollars a night I couldn’t afford it. I have been in this site since yesterday noon and have seen three or four vehicles go past. It’s quiet it’s green it’s beautiful.

Sounds like a beautiful place to stay for a week, Naturelover - and at a price you can afford. Great for summer lodging. I guess you're getting cell phone service, since you're writing here.

I often just park on the side of the roads in various places. People around here are used to seeing my van parked in various remote places. I've started giving them names. "The Secret Place" is a mining claim where I go to listen to my online church service every Sunday - it has good cell phone reception and a beautiful creek. "Roadside Rest" is my normal afternoon parking place on the other side of town. There's lots of shade and it is next to the river, so very cool, and few flying insects to bother me.

slow2day said:
That can be an average depending on location but the fees vary a lot and some are free. The ones I've stayed at are mostly around $14 and with my pass they're just $7/night.  Some of my fave USFS campgrounds in Colorado are free after Labor Day but with no services.
That's great! $7 is a good deal for a FS campground, the one I hosted was $11 or so with the pass. Keep in mind that you have to move every 14 days and cannot stay forever at the $7 site you love. 

$300 per month is just an estimate, as said above you have to move every 14 days and may wind up with more nights at the expensive campground if the cheap one is full.
-crofter

With my travel patterns I don't usually stay for long periods at CGs, maybe 3-4 days at the most.

I don't mind paying since it's in support of the NFS. CGs are mixed with lots of free boondocking or WM's and Cracker Barrels.

What I save on CGs is spent on gas though, so it's not exactly cheap.

My "dream" vehicle would be a hybrid, capable of 200 miles or less on electric motors, even at minimum speeds, but still have a gasoline motor for long hauls...or when solar power is scarce due to weather.

When parked for a few days, I would recharge the batteries using solar panels for quick local trips and short hauls.

My opinion from having done this on and off for most of my life and seeing how many of my nomadic friends live:
$600 a month- just getting by, stay at least 14 days per spot (usually more, like ltva in Quartsite for entire season) , using food banks to supplement food. Unable to save for emergencies, lean on friends when help is needed.
$1000 a month- live very frugally, some recreational travel, occasionally going out. Sock away $100 a month for emergencies. I'd say this is the minimum that you can say you are enjoying nomadic life without basic needs stress.
$2000 a month- this is the nice level, you can travel and really enjoy everything. Life is golden.
No matter your income making and helping friends is the key, without friends the life sucks. There are amazing people on the road, the friends and experiences on the road are much more interesting than the sticks and bricks set.
BTW I've lived on the $200 a month motorcycle level, $1k a month for a few years and now $2k level. I did get by on $200 as a younger person but someone older isn't going to do the things I did.