How bad is this rust / Do I have the right plan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjsingh

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just stripped out my van flooring and cleaned it, and this is what I was left with:

How bad do you think it is? Worst spot is the second picture I think with the hole.

My plan is to grind off paint and everything flaky with a wire brush + drill, use a rust converter, (use a metal filler?), then prime and paint.

One question that I couldn't find anything about in the forums by searching is using a metal filler. This seems like a decent option for the holes since they're smaller Anyone have any advice or experience with using it?

Also, in the second last picture, should I be grinding off that entire section since the bubbles show that it's clearly corroded underneath?

It's kinda ugly like all rust that is trying to take over but not all that bad. I would use a coarse grinding pad like 36 grit on all of that to bare metal. Some of the holes will probably get a little bigger from that but rust will be gone. Look underneath after you do the inside also.
You can pop rivet some metal patches over the bigger holes and JB-Weld the little ones. My floor was similar to that when I pulled the pad out.

Thats not that bad at all. Grind off the flaky bits, spray rust convertor all over it, and use some fiberglass to patch the holes.

what does it look like underneath? to be successful you must get all the rust top and bottom. or it will just continue to rust. remember rust never sleeps. Hey, Hey, My, My. highdesertranger

Thanks guys. Did some work on it today with a wire brush attachment for my drill, before it started raining. Got a lot of paint and rust off but not quite ready for the rust converter.

highdesertranger said:
what does it look like underneath?  to be successful you must get all the rust top and bottom.  or it will just continue to rust.  remember rust never sleeps.  Hey, Hey,  My,  My.  highdesertranger

There is definitely some rust underneath. I was just checking that today. I'll take some pictures and post them. It's gonna be hard to get down there, I'm thinking the best solution is to do the inside first, and then get it jacked up at a local shop so I can do the bottom?

steamjam1 said:
Thats not that bad at all. Grind off the flaky bits, spray rust convertor all over it, and use some fiberglass to patch the holes.

I bought some 3M Bondo. It seemed easier to work with than the fiber glass. I was interested in some kind of metal filler but they didn't have any at my local home improvement stores.

If the Bondo is exposed to water it might not stay as long as you would like. Needs to be primed and painted if exposed on the bottom side. I worked with that stuff for years.

Then again it may last as long as you have the van.

Using just bondo to fill in the rust isn't a great idea. Your gonna haveto seal the hole first with fiberglass... and most importantly you haveto treat the remaining rust with convertor...

I agree with steam. I wouldn't use bondo. you have to seal bondo to make it waterproof. highdesertranger

ok. yeah I'm definitely gonna treat everything I can with rust converter, but I'll get some fiberglass for the holes

Should I be cutting through these strips that go across the metal if I think there is rust underneath? What exactly are they for, structural integrity I suppose?

that is a seem were 2 pieces of sheet metal come together. what you are seeing is the adhesive/sealer. do not remove it unless you are positive it's rusted underneath and then only remove enough to get to the rust. highdesertranger

That is just the seam to join two floor panels. I wouldn't be cutting through that. Just clean as best you can, spray some rust converter on it, and seal it up..

I use 3M or Loctite construction glue from Home Depot. I've use that stuff to seal whole floor panels and its way better and stronger then automotive seam sealer. Not to mention much cheaper.. ::)

Then if I don't have the cash for Por-15, I'll use Chassis Saver paint. Its cheaper, and works just as well as long as its applied to bare metal.

Thanks guys. I sprayed all the rust in the interior down with rust converter yesterday:

Gonna fill in the holes with fiberglass, and then prime and paint the interior this weekend

Thanks guys for all your help! Some pictures of the van after priming & painting:

I hope to get to the rust on the bottom at some point, but for now on to other things