House Solar Panel on RV, do you have first hand experience doing this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie

Reaction score
I'm wondering if a solar panel intended for residential home use can be used on an RV, is it built to withstand the bumping and twisting of off grid camping? I've seen videos where people use them and manufacturers want to sell their product so of course they will say it's OK but does anyone reading this have actual first hand experience doing this? If so could you share your story with me please? 
Thanks,
Maggie

I have used what you call house panels both mounted and as portables for 6 years now. 3 years ago I mounted three 250 watt poly's on the roof of my 25 ft trailer. Just over two years ago I had mounted the largest of all the big panels on my SUV. Both have seen plenty of miles up to 80 MPH. (I had a date, okay)

Since then I have helped people mount big panels on vans, trailers and Motor homes. None have reported any issues yet. You do need to pay attention to the Voltages that you are working with because some panels have voltages higher than what the controllers, switches, etc are made to handle. Yesterday I had a consult to review a design from a local solar supplier here in Flagstaff, good thing too. They had three Sunpower 360 watt panels wired in series with a voltage of 201 Voc on a controller limited to 150 Voc. It was not going to end well.

yes, most defiantly yes!

i have been using residential panels on my rigs exclusively for years. for me, they are the best bang for the buck and quite often the easiest way to get the most power from a small roof

right now i have a single 435 watt sunpower panel on my minivan. previously i had 2x 235 watt canadian solar panels on the same minivan for over 2 years and 50,000 miles of cross country travel with tons of boonedocking and forest service roads and logging roads.

i also have 6x 295 watt REC residential panels on my short bus, 4 on the roof and 2 on tilt up mounts down the side. i have taken this everyware from the the canadian border to quartzsite. dirt roads and highways.

i have installed or helped others with using these type panels on many other rigs and have not had any problems.

most residential panels are rated for very high winds, like hurricane force. also they are rated for snow loads often exceeding 100# per square foot. the glass is tempered and most can withstand golfball sized hail

i have had zero issues or problems with my residential panels.

just make sure your mounts are just as secure. driving down the interstate is almost like sitting through a hurricane

as jim said, you do need to make sure all the rest of the system is proper

but yes, the panels can be safely mounted and used on mobile rigs

I want to add that I use at least six mounting feet on a big panel and eight on a 435 watt.

I want to add that I use at least six mounts for a big panel and eight on a 435w.

They work fine. 50 miles away from me is a solar panel factory that sells blem 320w panels for $50ea cash. I have an ambo & plan on pulling a 12' alum snomachine trailer with the panels on there so I don't have to park the ambo in the sun. 6 panels, 6 Exide Golf Car batteries $59ea. Excide makes Insterstate by the way & is a real mfg not like the pink bunny brand. I need the trailer to haul toys anyway. The ambo has 2 batteries & a 250 amp altonater. I think I'll mount the batteries & everything on the trailer so I'll have a solar generator & just have to run a cord to the housepower socket. I have the bows & a new tarp from a 6x6 I had so everything will be covered. Hope this helps.

Latest posts