House flies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fully screened vehicle solved that problem.

Screens yes but sometimes they get in when I'm entering or exiting. Because I have nothing flammable near my windows, and that's where they tend to go, I use a spray bottle filled with alcohol and a lighter. One poof and they're dead and sterilized, Don't even have to be a good shot, only close

I've spent the past six months at a friend's rural place. The adjacent land is a pasture with cows and horses. So flies. What puzzles me is why flies buzz around in my van when there's nothing for them to feed on while there are hundreds of fresh cow pies only a hundred yards away.

I swat, I spray, I go sit in my Clam, and I have netting I can toss over myself when I nap in the van.

The flies go away at sunset, but then the moths and other nocturnal bugs come out, attracted to my computer screen.

Flies have a keen sense of smell. They are attracted to living and dead life foms., including the odors left on dirty laundry, garbage, toilets etc. Screens are the answer as is always working at reducing odors in your living space.

An outdoor Bug-A-Salt for the indoor fly as it shoots a longer distance. It also works well as a salt shaker as well as a tenderizer! Lol!!!

A lot of flies are attracted to light. I turn off all my lights and at night, turn on the outdoor porch light and they will fly out the door. I have a window on my TT door and sometimes they'll go sit there so I just have to open the door and shoo them out.

Unfortunately there are also flies that don't care about light but are interested in buzzing around me. For that I use Lavender natural air freshener (essential oils in water) as flies usually don't like it. Of course, a lot of people don't like the scent of lavender either, but one can adjust. It is better than flies!

My last choice is to swat a fly but I will if I must. I like having a fly-free at-home living experience.

I love my electric fly swatter. For some weird reason, the sound of them getting zapped pleases me. :)

take that you mother f'er.... buzzzzz, fly smokes, and you smile!

My latest FLY poem :

[font=Karla, sans-serif]AUGUST 24, 2021 [/font]
[font=Karla, sans-serif]fucking flys they get inside my house and life i used to feel sorry for them and gently let them out now i kill them[/font]

If Noah really had been wise he would have killed those two flies.

I’m camping at a large farm my friends home. And they have over 90,000 chickens in a layer house. Do I deal with flies? Oh yes. Screens are a big help but I have to hang a fly sticker and that works good because they’re attracted to it. I won’t use chemicals like aerosols because I don’t want to deal with ithe possible health effects.

Gypsy108 said:
My latest FLY poem :

[font=Karla, sans-serif]AUGUST 24, 2021 [/font]
[font=Karla, sans-serif]fucking flys they get inside my house and life i used to feel sorry for them and gently let them out now i kill them[/font]
That's funny

Yeah….haha… I’m creating lots of bad karma for myself… but deep inside me i hope those flies & bugs I’ve killed have a better rebirth…

I make sure I have hundreds of flies in my van before I leave here because there is flapping their wings takes the weight off the road better and improve my gas mileage. If I have hundreds of flies I can go faster too.

I have fly issues, hate them. I did discover that you can spray them with soapy water and this kills them. I'm using my dawn power wash at the moment, but I need to try just soap in a squirt bottle as it would be cheaper. I've been tempted to get one of those electric bug guards, but I'm not convinced it will work. Anyone try those?

My friends here on the chicken farm use the electric zapper in their egg room and in the house they work great. Just like anything else you buy the cheaper ones not so good, but you buy the good ones you’re OK. If you go to Farm supply store they have the ones that mean business.

Latest posts