hot water heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simran

Reaction score
I bought this old camper van last night that has a hot water heater in it. It is a little square thing hanging out of the wall and runs off propane.<br><br>Anyone know the good the bad or the ugly about one of these. I'm wondering if I should scrap it or incorporate.<br>I'm not looking for the merits on whether to have or not have hot water. I'm just wondering about the heater itself.<br><br>Thanks,<br>gus<br>

I'd have someone knowledgable look at it - may still be in good shape, or simple to renovate. Then again, it may be junk. A pressure test of some sort, maybe?

In 03/04, I had a propane water heater in a cabin that was from the 50's and it still worked fine. Very few moving parts. And little to wear out except the thermocouple or jet ( nozzle) . My guess is a thorough cleaning and test by someone who knows them and it may be fine.( spiders love the propane tubes) 6 gal waterheaters are selling for $200 or better on craigslist here, so spending a few bux to be sure one way or the otherwise sense to me.
Good luck with the new to you van.
Les