Home/holistic remedies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
Two million year old herbal remedies that I keep on hand:<br /><br /><span style="color: #0000ff;"><strong><span style="color: #0000ff;"><a href="http://www.naturalnews.com/024685_oregano_oil_of.html">Oil of oregano</a>&nbsp;(</span></strong><span style="color: #0000ff;"><span style="color: #000000;">available at any health food store,can be ingested or used topically)</span></span></span><br /><br /><strong><a style="color: #0000ff;" href="http://http//www.herbwisdom.com/herb-olive-leaf.html">Olive leaf</a><span style="color: #0000ff;">&nbsp;</span></strong><span style="color: #0000ff;"><span style="color: #000000;">(available at walmart, in&nbsp;capsule&nbsp;form)&nbsp;<br /><br /></span></span>both have anti bacterial/biotic and/or viral properties and are safe for the 4 leggeds, too.<br /><br />As with any herb, interactions with other meds/conditions need to be researched.<br /><br />Olive leaf has also been used successfully in lowering blood pressure.<br /><br /><br />

Garlic is wonderful as an antibiotic. Ive used it twice so far for a tooth ache. Vampires need not to apply.

I like echinacea/elderberry syrup for colds, pine needle tea (loaded with vitamin C), nettle tea for allergies, honey for a sore throat or upset tummy (it's a natural coating, yogurt is good too) and a little square (like 1") of dark dark chocolate a day.

fluffabear said:
I like echinacea/elderberry syrup for colds, pine needle tea (loaded with vitamin C), nettle tea for allergies, honey for a sore throat or upset tummy (it's a natural coating, yogurt is good too) and a little square (like 1") of dark dark chocolate a day.
<br /><br />What type of pine needles are you using?

I just started using oreganol to boost my immune system. Is this the same or is the oil better? I saw the oregano oil and it was more expensive. Ill have to try the olive leaf too.

mad*sparrow said:
I just started using oreganol to boost my immune system. Is this the same or is the oil better? I saw the oregano oil and it was more expensive. Ill have to try the olive leaf too.
<br /><br />I am not familiar with&nbsp;oreganol

I love fresh garlic (after crushing, let it rest for 5 minutes to boost the allicin concentration).&nbsp; I like mine best in a mug with hot water, lemon juice &amp; honey.&nbsp; Good for colds, congestion, etc.&nbsp; <br /><br />Tea Tree Oil for bites, scratches, zits.<br /><br />Aloe plant juice for burns.&nbsp; Use the real thing, the OTC stuff has alcohol which irritates.&nbsp; <br /><br />Elderberry (Sambucol) for anything viral.&nbsp; This is my first defense-go to stuff.&nbsp; <br /><br />I can't say enough good things about coconut oil for skin softening, hair de-frizzing, and delicious oil for stir fry.&nbsp; It is a multi-purpose must have item for me.&nbsp;

Red Raspberry Leaf for flu. &nbsp;Best if you get it on the first or second day. &nbsp;If there is a lot of neuralgia pain, add boneset. &nbsp;Can knock the beast out of you in a day or a day and a bit. &nbsp;Elderberry flowers and peppermint, equal parts, for flu with fever. &nbsp;Drink and then wrap up and go to sleep!<br /><br />Tea (infusion): pour boiling hot water over @ 1tsp of herb and let sit for 10 to 20 minutes.

Green tea bags (after brewing,wait until cool). use a rubber band to hold over cuts and scrapes and other skin ailments---helps to heal faster.

Feverfew for migraines. It works very well - homegrown only! &nbsp;The processed health store stuff doesn't work much for headaches.&nbsp;<br><br>Thyme and oregano as antibiotic/antiseptic. Both can be grown in pots in the sun.&nbsp;<br><br>Mint for asthma.

When using home remedies try to find a strong science based reference, book, etc. &nbsp;The author should have valid verified credentials. Almost anyone can claim a PHD but double check that background is from a strongly accredited source. And that the author publishes articles that get peer reviewed. &nbsp;

My New years resolution well at least one of the was to learn more about foraging.... for food and medicinal purposes....a lot of good info has been posted here and I would like to go through each post and list what has been posted...&nbsp;<br><br><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>From Cyndi</strong></span>: (scroll over them as Cyndi has posted then as links....) &nbsp;<br><br><span style="color: #0000ff;"><strong><a style="color: #000000; text-decoration: initial;" href="http://www.naturalnews.com/024685_oregano_oil_of.html" rel="nofollow">Oil of oregano</a>&nbsp;(</strong><span style="color: #000000;">available at any health food store,can be ingested or used topically)</span></span><br><div style="text-align: left;"><span style="color: #0000ff;"><span style="color: #000000;"><br></span></span><strong><a style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: initial;" href="http://http//www.herbwisdom.com/herb-olive-leaf.html" rel="nofollow">Olive leaf</a><span style="color: #0000ff;">&nbsp;</span></strong><span style="color: #0000ff;"><span style="color: #000000;">(available at walmart, in&nbsp;capsule&nbsp;form) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff;"><span style="color: #000000;"><br></span></span><br>both have anti bacterial/biotic and/or viral properties and are safe for the 4 leggeds, too.</div><div style="text-align: left;">As with any herb, interactions with other meds/conditions need to be researched.</div><address style="text-align: left;">Olive leaf has also been used successfully in lowering blood pressure<br><br><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>From She</strong></span>:<br><br>Garlic is wonderful as an antibiotic (I am going to add to this)<br><br><span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 16.363636016845703px; line-height: 24px;">In&nbsp;</span><em style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 16.363636016845703px; line-height: 24px;"><a style="text-decoration: initial; color: #0b0080; background-image: none; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;" title="In vitro" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro" rel="nofollow">in vitro</a>&nbsp;(test tube)</em><span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 16.363636016845703px; line-height: 24px;">&nbsp;studies, garlic has been found to have antibacterial, antiviral, and anti fungal activity. However, these actions are less clear&nbsp;</span><em style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 16.363636016845703px; line-height: 24px;"><a style="text-decoration: initial; color: #0b0080; background-image: none; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;" title="In vivo" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vivo" rel="nofollow">in vivo</a>&nbsp;(living tissue)</em><span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 16.363636016845703px; line-height: 24px;">.&nbsp;(taken from the article below)</span><br><br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic#Medicinal_use_and_health_benefits<br><br><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>From Fluffabear</strong></span> (*who I hope checks in soon)<span style="color: #000000;"><br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;">echinacea/elderberry syrup for colds, <br>pine needle tea (loaded with vitamin C), <br>nettle tea for allergies, <br>honey for a sore throat or upset tummy (it's a natural coating, yogurt is good too) <br>and&nbsp;<br>a little square (like 1") of dark dark chocolate a day<br><br></span><strong><span style="font-style: normal; white-space: nowrap; color: #ff0000;">From Jaimee:</span></strong><span style="font-style: normal;"><br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;">fresh garlic (after crushing, let it rest for 5 minutes to boost the allicin concentration).&nbsp; I like mine best in a mug with hot water, lemon juice &amp; honey.&nbsp; Good for colds, congestion, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><br style="font-style: normal;"><br style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-style: normal;">Tea Tree Oil for bites, scratches, zits.</span><br style="font-style: normal;"><br style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-style: normal;">Aloe plant juice for burns.&nbsp; Use the real thing, the OTC stuff has alcohol which irritates.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><br style="font-style: normal;"><br style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-style: normal;">Elderberry (Sambucol) for anything viral.&nbsp; This is my first defense-go to stuff.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><br style="font-style: normal;"><br style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-style: normal;">I can't say enough good things about coconut oil for skin softening, hair de-frizzing, and delicious oil for stir fry.&nbsp; It is a multi-purpose must have item for me<br><br><span style="color: #ff0000;">From<strong> Angeli:</strong></span><br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;">Red Raspberry Leaf for flu. &nbsp;Best if you get it on the first or second day. &nbsp;If there is a lot of neuralgia pain, add boneset. &nbsp;Can knock the beast out of you in a day or a day and a bit. &nbsp;Elderberry flowers and peppermint, equal parts, for flu with fever. &nbsp;Drink and then wrap up and go to sleep!</span><br style="font-style: normal;"><br style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-style: normal;">Tea (infusion): pour boiling hot water over @ 1tsp of herb and let sit for 10 to 20 minutes.<br><br><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">From Sheryl:</span></strong><br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;">Fever few for migraines. It works very well - homegrown only! &nbsp;The processed health store stuff doesn't work much for headaches.&nbsp;</span><br style="font-style: normal;"><br style="font-style: normal;"><span style="font-style: normal;">Thyme and oregano as antibiotic/antiseptic. Both can be grown in pots in the sun.&nbsp;<br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;">Mint for asthma.<br><br><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">From offroad: (very good advice)</span></strong></span><strong><span style="font-style: normal; color: #ff0000;">When using home remedies try to find a strong science based reference, book, etc. &nbsp;The author should have valid verified credentials. Almost anyone can claim a PHD but double check that background is from a strongly accredited source. And that the author publishes articles that get peer reviewed.</span></strong><br><br><span style="font-style: normal;"> I am going to research all that was listed and all that I'm learning as I learn it, nobody is a doctor here, at least I don't think so.... and if you have NEVER tried any of these remedies and are unsure if it effects you do the following: Take a small amount and rub on the inside of your forearm, and place a tiny amount on the tip of your tongue. Wait at least 4 hours for a reaction. If no reaction If it was me I would then give it a go...</span><br><br><span style="font-style: normal;">My suggestion which has served me well is HEAT, when I have a fever/flu/cold I try to soak in as hot a bath as&nbsp;possible&nbsp; being a van dweller at times makes this impossible so if you can a HEATing pad placed at the small of your back, you must do this till you feel hot all over, sweaty hot! increasing your temperature unnaturally increases your immune system to fight off many issues. Indians often used the seat house form many ailments, and it is still used today! If heating pads aren't doable&nbsp;2 liter&nbsp;soda&nbsp;bottles&nbsp;filled with hot water and place under your blankets should do it too....</span><br><br><br><span style="font-style: normal;"><br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;"><br><br></span><span style="font-style: normal;"><br><br></span><br><br><br><br><br></address>