Hitch Cargo Carrier gets hit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWhale

Reaction score
Any with a hitch carrier have a problem with people hitting it while parking, because they don't see it?  Where do they sell those little flag poles that you can attach to it as a warning.
image_11449.jpg

If you live in snow country any implement dealer will have wands for marking the edge of a pickup snow plows.  One can still find bicycle wands but they are pretty flimsy (and long, ~6').  Could make your own with fiberglass fence posts and clamps.

-- Spiff

I tend to back in to parking spots where feasible, particularly along the edge of a parking lot where I can put the cargo carrier out over the landscaping. I also try to park a little further out and take up two spaces back to back.

My problem is not so much people hitting the carrier as me backing up a little too far into hedges and the occasional tree... :rolleyes:

I "decorated" mine with reflective tape. Red/Yellow/White
Mostly Red with some white on rear, Yellow with some white on sides, and White on the top side so I (and other pedestrians) can see it easier in the dark, when it is empty, and don't smack our shins.. AGAIN.. lol

I saw a loaded carrier on the side of the road (I-57N) today. Apparently, the pin worked loose?? It was in perfect shape, (tote and ratchet strap still in place), just slid to a stop. I'm sure the owner was peeved when they got to where they were going.

I was sleeping  in a hotel parking lot when all the sudden my van rocked really
hard , I looked outside and saw the 18 wheeler that backed into my cargo deck.
Another time I was parked downtown by a bunch of night clubs 10pm at night , I was in the
 back getting ready to go in when a drunk rear ended me , three guys got
out of the car and  I  heard  them talking , the guy driving said " what do you expect , there's a huge
 thing hanging off the back.