Hiking / Parkspots / Experiences

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We live in Tucson and DH hikes nearby at least twice a week. All of these are within an hour's drive of Tucson.

I'll let you Google details. As far as camping comfort, timing is everything, since elevation will determine temps.

We've been here two years and have barely scratched the surface! So many varied landscapes so close together. And the Sonoran desert is a revelation.

Hikes with elevation gain:
Catalina State Park: Romero Pools Trail
Madera Canyon (some free camping nearby)
Most trails on Mt. Lemmon (the higher up the mountain, the more trees there are!)
Wasson Peak
Agua Caliente trail

Sonoran desert and grassland hikes:
Sweetwater trailhead
Las Cienegas National Recreation Area (just about anywhere, free campgrounds and dispersed BLM camping )
Tucson Mountain Park

And further east you must check out the Chiricahuas. Probably too cold now, but come Spring they will be lovely.

Wow, thanks!
Sounds awesome, I'll look those over tonit, and if i ever leave here!
Went to Born2Explore
other site, right outside the truly spectacular Mesa Verde. Also awesome.
Heard rent's cheap, but tough climb to get to start your AM commute ;)

20171106_163847.jpg

Attachments

• 20171106_163847.jpg
    20171106_163847.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 11
Uptown, that is so cool!  I saw a place like that in NE AZ, the 'white house' or sumthin they call it.

when are you leaving, any ideas yet?  :cool:

Just west of Cortez is Hovenweep National Monument they have round towers!

My plans go out about four hours, LoL. Back to Mesa Verde today.

Hovenweep for sure! 
Was looking at Canyon of the ancients, as well

Went straight to the beautiful Flagstaff.
Camped North of city in Nat'l Forest.
Schultz Road

20171114_131607-1.jpg

Hiking was good!

Attachments

• 20171114_131607-1.jpg
    20171114_131607-1.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 6
I seldom wave hello but always wave good by as people leave. Hope you had a good time.

Then just down to Prescott Nat'l Forest-
NFS has a handy brochure with Dispersed Prescott Valley camping.
Unfortunately, Enchanted Forest Campground had a trail adjacent that went right to a German Beerhall ...
Beautiful moonlight walk 'home' with all things together nearly convincing this hiker it was thru the German 'Black Forest' LoL

Overall, hiking was good- alltogether excellent area to stay.

UptownSport said:
Went straight to the beautiful Flagstaff.
Camped North of city in Nat'l Forest.
Schultz Road

Hiking was good!

Hey, thanks for that pointer to Schultz Road, I'll have to try that this summer!  Unless I get a campground host job.  

Pat

Hey, we backpack guys have rubber on our feet so we are RTs looking to R. Message me when you come down to Quartzite or Ehrenberg and we can commune a wee bit. Our way may be harder but our rewards are priceless. Like Alaskans (did 7 years adventure there) endlessly discussing bears, we love talking campstoves-have used most of them-what do you use? Peace and goodwill.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk