Hiking / Parkspots / Experiences

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UptownSport

Reaction score
I was wondering if people had pointers for parkspots in the SouthWest for Hikers, or want to chit chat about hiking in general.
Hopefully that's not too far outa the scope of the forum.

I really enjoyed the awesome Denver area (and Arches), Bob straightened me out that when I stayed there it was unseasonably warm-
So can't stay there- further South.

I've heard about Gila, and Tx, and Zion. A (non van) friend posted fb pictures from around flagstaff.

Being from MN I kinda don't feel right without trees- But can't have everything. Not sure I'd be at home in the middle of a desert, but could try that, too. Better than the freezer in January!

Overall, this is what I was planning to van for- It keeps me in good shape, being in wilderness is good for the soul, and is pretty low cost-
and really improves my mood- I'd go out with a ruck on my freetime in the service, was fun.

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing their hike experiences in the SouthWest, it'd be a good start

I'm from Wisconsin, and my first couple times in the desert I thought it was ugly. Then I started hiking and really looking, thinking about the geologic history, studied Native American history,  visited places where they lived, etc and grew to love it. If you get to Las Vegas be sure to visit Red Rock Canyon just outside of town. There are many hiking trails there, each one lovely. There are other hiking places all over the state. Get a guide book and you won't know where to go first! And the weather, though it can be windy, is fabulous in winter (well except when it storms, just watch the weather reports.) Happy hiking!

Arizona is the place to be in the winter! Get some books on hiking there and there are just tons of great hikes. KOFA NWR is especially good. In spring when the wildflowers bloom, Arizona is spectacular!

Thanks guys! I assume anything above 40°F is fab to a Wisconsinite, LoL.

UptownSport said:

If you like trees, and hiking,  one place to check is 14ers.com 

It is a pretty active forum,  devoted almost exclusively to the topic of the 54 14ers in Colorado.   Also summitnet.org, which includes mountains all over.  

Then, of course,  there's the Continental divide trail. 

Ive been hoping to mix boondocking with more hiking than I do now, so maybe we have some common goals.   

Some will depend on how much uphill you like to do. 

We can talk more later.   I'm fading some this evening.    

Pat

UptownSport said:

I hear they aren't making winter like they used to! I remember 8 foot walls of snow along the highways and tires frozen flat so they thumped the first few blocks down the road!

Spring and fall in southern Utah is pretty special right now day time highs 70's and night time lows low 40's with the wet year water pockets still have some water. Kane Creek area on HWY 261 between Natural Bridges and Mexican Hat east to Halls Crossing (HWY 276) has over 2000 Native American sites over 800 years old that can best be seen during cooler temps.

Thanks again!

Noticed Kofa on map recon- a novelty was the 'Border Checkpoint' adjacent!
Read their(Refuge's) rules on parking/camping and it seemed pretty liberal if a bit contradictory-

• Vehicles and bicycles are limited to designated roads which can be identified by numbered markers at junctions. Off-road driving is prohibited. 
  • Camping is allowed on the refuge. However, campsites cannot be located within ¼ mile of water sources and vehicles must remain within 100 feet of the road.

Maybe towards deep winter- little warm for freezer people now.

Sure, Pat- now recall hearing something  about 14ers in Denver-Ambition level might have to increase. A lot LoL
But I was like a kid in a candy store in Denver. Tallest 'mountain' here is 2300', LoL
Thanks for your gracious offers!

Yes, winters were definitely worse when I was a kid- Recall drifts being over the vehicle.
We'd snowmobile in St. Paul- Police cruisers couldn't move.
Nylon sidewalls will do that; rarely used in passenger tires anymore.
But it's still unpleasant with the wind, and weeks of short, overcast days make everyone grouchy
I didn't look near Las Vegas before- you know- will have to go there!!

I believe the ranger station at Grand Gulch is open but if not stop at Natural Bridges. On down West HWY 95 a few miles is the Dark Canyon a slot canyon so deep little or no light and tight, it does widen out but becomes a swim in 50 degree water with a wall at the end. Don't do this one without a support group, I believe some of the outfitters in Moab do guided trips and could be a good resource. If you go pass Hite to about mile marker 30 on the left there is a kiosk for the Irish Canyons. Do your home work. Lots of people gather spring and fall to do these slots but some great day hikes have been published. If you turn south on the far west end of HWY 276 towards Bullfrog there is a spring that leads to Lake Powell called Maiden Water as well as trails to the lake there are trails that go up into the Henry Mountains. There is a free roaming buffalo herd but this time of year check with the DNR or BLM around be careful. Down 276 turn right and your on the Burr Trail with several easy marked trails but if you turn off at Halls Creek overlook, only drive in when dry and stop when it turns off to the left unless you are really good driving off road stop and walk to the over look. At the bottom of the canyon is a trail is you go left goes to slots and lake Powell go right and goes into Capital Reef. Two years ago I picked up a guy named Rat that had survived for more than a week and walked probably 90 miles trying to find his way out of the canyon. I believe he posted is adventure online, but there are several day or more hikes as well as roads that go to remote cattle camps along the Burr Trail and in the Henry Mountains. Biggest hazard is you will have a hard time leaving.

bullfrog said:
 Biggest hazard is you will have a hard time leaving.

Well, quite the endorsement!

Well, got stuff in order so I can leave out next week- Really appreciate this-
Forecast is in the 20s here, with some snow- That wind is already starting to blow.

Won't be too soon!

UptownSport said:
Sure, Pat- now recall hearing something  about 14ers in Denver-Ambition level might have to increase. A lot LoL
But I was like a kid in a candy store in Denver. 

I swear I'm not selling anything!  Not an insurance salesman or financial planning expert

But I would like to dispel the idea that resources like 14ers.com are only for the truly insane peak bagger.  (A peak bagger is someone whose current primary ambition is to hike all 54 recognized 14ers. They keep a list)
For a lot of those folks it's not about just being out there, and enjoying the beauty that surrounds them.  However, the website IS a great resource for those who don't consider it a wasted day if they didn't reach the summit of a 14er.  One hike, I only made it to 13,000 feet.  And I had to keep reminding myself of the fun I had had, and the fact I was sitting and staring at one of the most beautiful valleys I've ever seen.  

Another little known fact, is that many 14ers have trailheads that start at 10,000 feet, and are only 3 miles long.  That's still a workout , but not like starting at sea level and climbing 14000 feet.  

In addition, I've found many other trails that were largely flat, they just meandered through the woods to beautiful alpine lakes.  
In other words, there are resources out there that will help you just find great places to hike.  

So, with resources like 14ers.com and the Colorado Trail website, cherry pick.  Use it to find things you want. You don't have to buy into the prevalent mindset.  All forums have them.  Even this one.  Yes, it's true!   :D

I was 44 when I moved to Colorado Springs from Wilmington, NC.  So, I took 6 months to do easy hikes to acclimate myself to the altitude.  Then I started more difficult hikes.  Right now, I'm back in a sedentary state, and want to get back to hiking in the mountains. 

So, again, not trying to push, just provide info.  

Hope this helps,

Pat

Bullfrog, I am absolutely going to have to try that out.  

Thanks.

pnolans said:
meandered through the woods to beautiful alpine lakes.  
sold!

Thanks!

Got the Parachutist's, EFMB and GAFEB (Gold) badges. Wouldn't get a pat on the back at the VFW- badge 'bagging'

Someone had a webpage on Burr trail- s/he talks a bit about boondocking on the Burr trail- Looks very pretty, just hard to get all the items in one spot- Parkspot, acceptable weather and hiking from a laptop

DuneElliot has spots all laid out nice

I did just see some furtherspots, in additon to 14ers, for research::

https://www.blm.gov/visit

OK, I need to just sit down and study all this!

Thanks again!

Bah, the Southwest is overrated. FLORIDA is where you wanna be in the winter.

;)

OK, to be fair, I spent a few months in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico and had a great time. I had never been in "desert" before. It was different than I thought it would be--like most people I suppose I was picturing empty Sahara-type dunes. It's not that way at all. I liked it--it had a stark sort of beauty, and I found the wildlife to be quite interesting. (I found all sorts of ringtail cat poop everywhere, but sadly never saw a ringtail in the wild, though I saw a couple in zoos.)

But I will always consider myself to be a Floridian in exile. ;)

UptownSport said:
Someone had a webpage on Burr trail- s/he talks a bit about boondocking on the Burr trail- Looks very pretty, just hard to get all the items in one spot- Parkspot, acceptable weather and hiking from a laptop

Not to be TOO nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure it's the Barr Trail.  Goes to the top of Pikes Peak, from Manitou Springs.  
Now THAT'S a hike, even though I've seen families do it.  ~7000 feet elevation gain, about 13 miles one way.  In fact, there's a Pikes Peak marathon; since it's almost exactly a marathon distance.  I actually went up and down back in my 40's.  Little more than I can handle now.   

Have fun , bro!  

Pat

LoL-
Recall taking a C 130 'hop' to Colorado Springs- figured I'd walk right up Pikes- maxing my PT test type like me, shouldn't be too hard-
Not joking- little old ladies were passing me.
Turned around!

Pre-run Pikes Peak Hill Climb 1985, when it was all pee gravel, a little over 14 minutes with an extra mile to get speed up. Slow but still Ain't Right. When you can't run drive!