High winds and dust storms in southeast Utah

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullfrog

Reaction score
Ran about 300 miles today in southeast Utah. HWY 95, 24 and I70 then back down to Moab. Encountered low visibility and blowing dust with gusts exceeding 55 MPH in my estimate. Might want to delay a few days before coming through the area till it settles down some. Lucky I had a mask with me as it helped keep me from eating so much sand! Lol!!!

So does that mean you did not check the weather reports before heading out on a 300 mile drive~

^^^No, I knew about the weather but my only means of communication with my 93 year mother in her nursing home is a facetime call once a week which in her state is necessary which I do via my new IPhone that wouldn't you know seem to have problems that develop with their SIM cards requiring replacement. They didn't mention that in their advertising. That was the nearest store to get one quickly enough to get the call. Not my favorite way to spend a day but brought my wife back a cold and some what sandy Pizza Hut pizza which is her first in over a year which made her really happy! Lol!!!

We are having odd weather in the low desert AZ (elevation 141 feet), yesterday was cloudy & blowing from the west with highs in the eighties. Same today.
-crofter

Yeah, I've been hiking/camping in places from Kanab to Bryce to Escalante, into the southern part of GS-E the past few days. It has been windy, but it doesn't seem as bad here as your report. I had been planning to spend time along the Water Pocket after the weekend, but maybe I'll hang here for a while.

It was calm this morning but picked up about 5PM again to 25 MPH with gusts to about 30MPH. Front should be through by Monday I would think. If your coming down the Burr Trail stop by Bullfrog and enjoy a free hot shower and the other amenities it has to offer or PM me and I'll show you around.

bullfrog said:
If your coming down the Burr Trail stop by Bullfrog and enjoy a free hot shower and the other amenities it has to offer or PM me and I'll show you around.

Will do. Too bad the lake is too low for the ferry to operate.

The Burr trail coming from Boulder has lots of hiking, camping and views. There is about 20 miles of pretty well maintained dirt road if you turn right at the first paved road it follows a ridge with Bullfrog Creek Canyon on the left and the Water Pocket Fold on the right intersecting HWY 276 right at a tee intersection. To the right is Bullfrog, my window view is the end of the Water Pocket Fold across the lake at Bullfrog bay. Actually the ferry ride is nowhere as good as is the drive through North Wash on HWY 95. BLM land on the north side of HWY 95 has hiking and dispersed camping a couple miles before you get to Hog Springs rest area with pit toilets. On up the road Hite has a store and fuel as well as potable water, restrooms with free cold showers. the ferry only saves about 45 miles but takes about the same amount of time to get back out HWY 276 to HWY 95. There are lots of petroglyphs and pictographs in the area. One of the best is the Moqui Queen a hundred yards down the road from Hogs Springs parking lot in the left hand side of the large alcove.

Scenic trail, if I'm ever up that way.
I can see why it is 300 miles from Bullfrog to a SIM store.