High Top Dodge Van 80% done but...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Just competed the majority of the conversion on the 1989 Dodge High Top van, but my eye was caught by a 1990 GMC Grumman Olson step van with a 4BT diesel motor in good shape for very little money. I ended up buying the step van and immediately started that conversion.

CA DMV requires insurance before registering the vehicle. I called Geico because I've been with them for years and they treated me like I had ebola when I told them that I planned on doing an RV conversion. They flatly said "We can't insure that vehicle in your state, call a commercial insurance agent."

I did, and they want $300.00 per month for Liability and comprehensive only. For my other vans I pay $45.00 per month for more coverage.

The step van is fantastic and what I want, but the registration costs and insurance are way out of line with a normal van.

Any ideas how I can deal with this issue and have reasonable rates?

If you got it for very little money why do you want to pay the high price to get comprehensive? For cheap vehicles you should get liability only.

Do a search this forum to see what others have done.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=6802&highlight=insurance

I am paying about $40 for a 1/2 million policy with USAA. If I dropped the comp, it would be next to nothing. I had a TA a couple years ago, with the at fault driver not covered. They payed all my bills, and a nice settlement.

(I have other insurance and banking with them also.)

Can you register it in another state? You'll have to do the research to see if any of them will work.

With some states any vehicle over 10,000 is automatically commercial which your van would be. My 1 ton was listed commercial in NV so I registered it in AZ and listed at as a 7500 gvw and it was non-commercial. I saved $400 a year in insurance cost.
Bob

I would tell insurance co.s I have an RV that was done on a Grumman chassis. Leave the build out of the RV aside.

I'm having a good experience w/ Progressive Insurance myself. Only the RV is w/them. $535.00 p/yr. full coverage of 10k. This is Fl.
though.

Give them a call and see.

akrvbob said:
Can you register it in another state? You'll have to do the research to see if any of them will work.

With some states any vehicle over 10,000 is automatically commercial which your van would be. My 1 ton was listed commercial in NV so I registered it in AZ and listed at as a 7500 gvw and it was non-commercial. I saved $400 a year in insurance cost.
Bob

Got it handled as you suggested. $45.00 per month including comprehensive with $250 deductible,and registration at the half price of CA.

wow a grumman with a 4bt, what a great find. glad you got the insurance taken care of. show us some pics when you start the conversion. highdesertranger

PastTense said:
If you got it for very little money why do you want to pay the high price to get comprehensive? For cheap vehicles you should get liability only.

Comprehensive covers fire, theft, vandalism, and glass breakage. It adds about $24.00 to a six month premium, so it's great peace of mind for very little investment.