High output alternator?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blueridge said:
The higher end RVs (like Advanced RV conversions) have stopped using solar panels all together and are using high powered alternators to re-charge their house batteries.  

Funny....the Advanced RV website still shows solar panels as an option. AND....they are using lithium batteries which WILL accept a very high rate of recharge....as I stated in post number 6 of this thread.

Repeating myself for emphasis:  IF you really have the budget for a high-end lithium system and all of the needed expensive hardware in addition to the high output alternator, then yeah, you can make it happen.

they also have a generator. unless there is another Advanced RV company.

there is nothing wrong with using the alternator as one of many charge sources. but to rely on it as your only source won't cut it. unless you only lightly discharge your batteries or drive 500 miles a day, everyday. unless you are running lithium you need to recharge your batteries to 100% each and everyday. that's 100% not 99% but 100%.

highdesertranger

I don't have the budget for Lithium batteries.  

I'll just need more panels, and batteries, to cope with CPAP consumption, and other normal consumers during winter.

Thanks, John

Another option if you know someone handy is to add a 2nd alt just for the house batteries. Last I knew you can get a 100 watt 1 wire(easy wiring) for under $100. Solar panels are cheap if you shop as I bought 4 320 watt panels from a solar panel factory for $50 ea brand new with cosmetic flaws. I don't have them installed as I'm not sure that's the route I want to go yet. If I do I'll put the whole system on an alum snomobile trailer so I can park in the shade & put the panels in the sun but honestly I may not use them at all as I've used the generator/charger/inverter system in several remote camps & it worked great.