Hi everyone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefootrebel

Reaction score
Newbie to van living, but not to off grid / roughing it. The cost of living on the east coast is beyond ridiculous so I'm planning ahead. Next spring I want to go the nomad route.
I need to buy a different vehicle anyway, so I'm looking at minivans. I found two potential critters:
1) 2008 Chrysler Town & Country LX with 41K miles
2) 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 101k miles

Anyone have input on which one you would pick? The Odyssey was more comfortable to drive, but it's black. I don't know if that is a big problem or not. The T&C is the base model, so doesn't have the bells and whistles, but low mileage.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, and I'll be spending way too much time reading on here!

Welcome barefootrebel:)

Not knowing any issues with the specific years of either, I'd go with the Odyssey because it is extremely reliable. Others here will probably know more.

Best of luck!

Lots of reports on the internet about mechanical reliability issues on specific car models for minivans. That is a good place to start. This site will be a good resource for how to set them up on the inside for living comfort. Plus advice on things such as getting some solar power with battery storage that works in minivans.

The cheap RV living YouTube channel has a considerate number of videos featuring how to live in a minivan. One thing that is important is does it have a flat floor in it? Flat floors are the most versatile for interior layouts of beds, storage space, toilets, cooking space, etc.

Thank you both for your replies. I have researched both vehicles until I'm about to go cross-eyed. It's kind of a tossup for me; the pros and cons list for each is about even. They're even priced the same. The only frame of reference I have personally for either one is a friend who said his co-worker loves his Odyssey.
I have been watching Bob's channel for quite some time now. It's what helped me decide to take the leap :)

Welcome! You might cast your net a little wider and look at other options as well. Minivans can get pretty - mini - after awhile!

Cheers!

Welcome! You might cast your net a little wider and look at other options as well. Minivans can get pretty - mini - after awhile!

Cheers!
I have a long term plan to install a hitch because I want to build a vardo as well. My gypsy nature coming out...

I was just looking at solar panels... the Odyssey has roof rails; point for that one!

...I want to...nomad...
I need to buy..1) 2008 Chrysler Town & Country...
2) 2010 Honda Odyssey...
Neither.
No way, no how.
We are in the 'use enough vehicle' camp.
We travel rural two-lanes almost by default.
We crave weeks away from 'civilization'.
Fact is, we seek places without a cellular telephone signal.
Accordingly, we require substantial cargo capacity.
We prefer enough cubic space for jugs of water and crates of grub, clothes beyond any rationality, spares for the engine...
... and a place to keep our lists.
And someplace to keep our list of lists.
[I am only half-kidding about trying to remember everything... successfully.]
Unless your use will be parked at the gym with the grocery store next door, I think you will be under-served by either of those choices.
Talk with any full-time about dressing while crouched or laying.
Ask about battery capacity and photovoltaic.
Do you choose between clothes or fridge, water or batteries, which one set of shoes?
If I was me, I would severely consider this suggestion from some old camping fiend with a half-century of experience in dozens of rigs [points to self]:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You change and grow, your vehicle needs evolve.

Thank you for your input. I'm not looking at this as my forever rig, this is my starter rig. My dream vehicle would be a skoolie, but that ain't in the budget. It's just me and the dog, and he's unemployed.

One of my best experiences in life was moving onto 14 acres of raw land with a tent and not much else. I really enjoyed developing my McGuyver tendencies:)

I figure I'm about five years from retirement. The Odyssey should get my feet wet while I'm planning that stage of my life.
And yep, I make lots of lists ;)

Fantastic..... simply keep your Honda serviced often and it will last a very long time. :)

Thanks, Camper, I've learned I better get that timing belt scheduled!

I recently replaced the timing belt kit and water pump on my Toyota Tundra also.

Last edited:
One of my best experiences in life was moving onto 14 acres of raw land with a tent and not much else. I really enjoyed developing my McGuyver tendencies:)

I figure I'm about five years from retirement. The Odyssey should get my feet wet while I'm planning that stage of my life.
And yep, I make lots of lists ;)

Welcome! You sound a lot like my sister. Well, and me... My sis loves to go out into the mountains of Alberta and camp with the wild horses out there.

I make lots of lists.

AND I love to travel with my cats in my van. Currently trying to figure out how to make gypsy-hood a permanent, full-time thing. I've been dreaming about it since I was a very young girl. :)

Hi Dawn! I have been planning for quite some time. I might put a foamie camper on a hitch; we'll see when I get to that point.
My uncle had a skoolie he lived and traveled in. He loved his life. I drooled over his bus.

Congratulations on your new vehicle. The Hondas in general, including the Oddyssey, can tow a trailer in their weight class but it will make the rear end sag over time. Best to plan on putting into the rear suspension setup an after-market stiffer spring and a 1" lift.

Go to the YouTube channel for Bex Cat Herder to see a couple of videos showing that upgrade. She also includes a parts list in the videos. It is a common upgrade among Honda Owners who tow and camp on BLM and Forest Service types of gravel and dirt roads.