Hey Y'all!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36413

Reaction score
I am currently 62 years old and a 100% Disabled US Army Infantryman Vet here, living near Myrtle Beach, SC

I am new to the Van Life scene. I have a minivan I plan to use for camping with a tent. I am a newcomer but I used to tent camp a lot in my younger days but mostly in state parks. Being a military brat and then later on a soldier myself I have traveled around a lot and lived in many places though not really as a nomad.

I will be heading out to the RTR soon in Quartzsite. I hope to make some friends and maybe join a tribe.

It's been some time but I am not a stranger to the desert. I lived in Tucson, AZ from age 13 to about 22.

My wife is not into camping at all so I am alone and lonesome most of the time, LOL. Sadly, she has stage 4 kidney disease and won't do dialysis so I dread when she passes. I have a dog and a cat that don't travel well so I probably won't be able to go on any adventures after she passes on.

I am ready to come out of my hibernation and have some adventures now even if this is my last one.

<3

Attachments

• DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 07-18-2022-RosieRooRoo.jpg
    07-18-2022-RosieRooRoo.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221024_062211 (2).jpg
    20221024_062211 (2).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
God willing, I will be in the Quartzsite area for the RTR arriving on Jan 12th. Not sure witch LTV or BLM to go to. I know it gets really crowded this time of year and there are lots of options.

Welcome, there are probably several groups with different interests maybe some will see you post and extend an invitation. You might also check with the caravan groups Homes On Wheels Alliance (HOWA) does I believe on Facebook.

Hey Dew, you can't 'dew' much better than head out to the Pirate Camp...good folks and lots of good food too!

And welcome to the forum.

I have a dog and a cat that don't travel well so I probably won't be able to go on any adventures after she passes on.
Welcome Dew:) Don't give up too soon on the idea of bringing them along when the time comes.

I didn't think my small dog would adjust to riding in my pickup truck... especially after our first 800 mile trip. She hated every minute of it.
I had to stay home for several years to care for my grandkids (due to Covid initially) and during that time I took my dog with me for many short trips in town. Over time she adjusted and now she can't wait to ride along.

God willing, I will be in the Quartzsite area for the RTR arriving on Jan 12th. Not sure witch LTV or BLM to go to. I know it gets really crowded this time of year and there are lots of options.
Scadden Wash is not bad to camp at. Really close to benders and Big Tent. 14 day BLM..

Scadden Wash is not bad to camp at. Really close to benders and Big Tent. 14 day BLM..
That's not actually in a wash, right? I remember flash floods from my younger days in AZ where a dry wash quickly became a river.

I will probably choose a LTV because I am old and disabled and want to be near the toilet and trash receptacles. Can you get free water at any of the LTVs? 14 days is the most I would stay in the area anyway.

After the RTR/Big Tent I will head down to Tucson for a brief visit with family then head down to South Padre Island North Beach for a couple days and make my way along the gulf coast to the FL panhandle, down the gulf side and back up the Atlantic side over the course of a week or so stopping at WMA or other free campsites (click for a link). They have some amazing WMA camp areas and I know at least two of them have flush toilets and showers for free. Finally back home to Myrtle Beach with a stop overnight in GA on the way.

I will be using my Chrysler Pacifica minivan and a 10x10 Caravan tent for shade and rain shelter with a little bit of camping gear.

This will be my big adventure if I am able to do it.

I am a 100% service connected disabled vet so it will be challenging for me but I am determined to do my best and enjoy it!

My last Hurrah!

<3

I am currently 62 years old and a 100% Disabled US Army Infantryman Vet here, living near Myrtle Beach, SC

I am new to the Van Life scene. I have a minivan I plan to use for camping with a tent. I am a newcomer but I used to tent camp a lot in my younger days but mostly in state parks. Being a military brat and then later on a soldier myself I have traveled around a lot and lived in many places though not really as a nomad.

I will be heading out to the RTR soon in Quartzsite. I hope to make some friends and maybe join a tribe.

It's been some time but I am not a stranger to the desert. I lived in Tucson, AZ from age 13 to about 22.

My wife is not into camping at all so I am alone and lonesome most of the time, LOL. Sadly, she has stage 4 kidney disease and won't do dialysis so I dread when she passes. I have a dog and a cat that don't travel well so I probably won't be able to go on any adventures after she passes on.

I am ready to come out of my hibernation and have some adventures now even if this is my last one.

<3
Hello -there from Michigan!
And welcome.
It struck a cord when you mentioned your wife going through stage 4 kidney disease.
I had to experience that process also.
I hated dialysis but managed the life saving procedure -then I heard about an alternative treatment that you do at home yourself with a small computer and I was able to travel with it in my car and treated myself inside my vehicle.
Here's some info:
A) Hemodialysis is ongoing dialysis (3 to 5 times a week) that cleans your blood, usually in a dialysis center. The hemodialysis access is in your arm.
B) Peritoneal dialysis is ongoing dialysis (daily) that collects waste from the blood by washing the empty space in the abdomen (peritoneal cavity). It can be done from home.
I hope this helps safe travels in 2023!

Hello -there from Michigan!
And welcome
I hope I'm not out of line...but it struck a cord when you mentioned your wife going through stage 4 kidney disease.
I had to experience that process also.
I hated dialysis but managed the life saving procedure -then I heard about an alternative treatment that you do at home yourself with a small computer and I was able to travel with it in my car and treated myself inside my vehicle..that was 20 years ago after a transplant.
Here's some info:
A) Hemodialysis is ongoing dialysis (3 to 5 times a week) that cleans your blood, usually in a dialysis center. The hemodialysis access is in your arm.
B) Peritoneal dialysis is ongoing dialysis (daily) that collects waste from the blood by washing the empty space in the abdomen (peritoneal cavity). It can be done from home.
I hope this helps safe travels in 2023!

That's not actually in a wash, right? I remember flash floods from my younger days in AZ where a dry wash quickly became a river.

I will probably choose a LTV because I am old and disabled and want to be near the toilet and trash receptacles. Can you get free water at any of the LTVs? 14 days is the most I would stay in the area anyway.

After the RTR/Big Tent I will head down to Tucson for a brief visit with family then head down to South Padre Island North Beach for a couple days and make my way along the gulf coast to the FL panhandle, down the gulf side and back up the Atlantic side over the course of a week or so stopping at WMA or other free campsites (click for a link). They have some amazing WMA camp areas and I know at least two of them have flush toilets and showers for free. Finally back home to Myrtle Beach with a stop overnight in GA on the way.

I will be using my Chrysler Pacifica minivan and a 10x10 Caravan tent for shade and rain shelter with a little bit of camping gear.

This will be my big adventure if I am able to do it.

I am a 100% service connected disabled vet so it will be challenging for me but I am determined to do my best and enjoy it!

My last Hurrah!

<3
I envy you your trip. Spent a lot of time on the Gulf coast, FL and lower east coast. Retired Army myself. Hopefully not your last hurrah.

Hello fellow disabled vetran and thanks for your service!

Just in case you didn't know, as a disabled vetran you are eligible for a free Access America Pass. That pass gets you free entrance to all national parks, national monumnets, and historic sites. It also gets you discounts at many camping sites.

I thought about going to RTR but I don't think I will make it this year.

Just in case you didn't know, as a disabled vetran you are eligible for a free Access America Pass. That pass gets you free entrance to all national parks, national monumnets, and historic sites. It also gets you discounts at many camping sites.

Thanks for the heads up, I will google that.

Thank you for your service also. :)