help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamonik

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been totally captivated with this site.  So here is my story!
I will, in a few months move to Mexico, with my partner, 2 dogs and 2 cats, some stuff and a motorcycle.

I need help finding a van that will accommodate us all, able to climb, loaded and a Honda Rebel 250 attached to it all! that is reliable and will last.

Now Mexicans are crazy about Chevy's, so I thought they might know how to fix them, maybe that brand has something dependable and tough for us!

I am anxiously awaiting all your wise instructions!
Thank you, Monique

gsfish said:
Hi Monique and welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful to know the price range you are thinking of for the van.

Guy

maybe 8000 USD

chevy express 3/4 or 1 ton with 5.3 or 6.0 and all terrain tires,good all around performance and they made tons of them so parts are easy

Gary68 said:
chevy express 3/4 or 1 ton with 5.3 or 6.0 and all terrain tires,good all around performance and they made tons of them so parts are easy

thanks, but what does 5.3 or 6.o mean? and is this a diesel or gas and do you recommend certain manufacturing years that are better than other?

seamonik said:
thanks, but what does 5.3 or 6.o mean? and is this a diesel or gas and do you recommend certain manufacturing years that are better than other?

I figured it out, i.e.6.0 L

Yeah, thank you, I found one , its a 2002 5.3L, 110.000 miles, for$4.400 or best offer!
it is a conversion van, just need to see it and take it to my mechanic!

seamonik said:
I figured it out, i.e.6.0 L

Yeah, thank you, I found one , its a 2002 5.3L, 110.000 miles, for$4.400 or best offer!
it is a conversion van, just need to see it and take it to my mechanic!

No, no, no - you're doing it all wrong, Monique!  

AS a newbie you're supposed to spend months - if not years! - simply READING about vans and the nomadic life!!  One has to become an expert in every possible minute aspect of every conceivable variable of this new milieu and make sure all the stoplights between you and your destination are all simultaneously green before proceeding.  

Actually acting on your dreams so quickly risks making those of us with analysis paralysis feel even more inadequate!  

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to reading in copious detail about every contingency to be aware of about every possible destination and every possible improvement in each and every vehicle made.  A guy can never know too much.  

This could take years ...   :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard and......
Have a mechanic check it out.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Since you are asking for "ideas" on Vans, and you are kinda new....let me offer something as an alternative and yet still a Van.   It may have the room you need and be powerful, rugged, and somewhat fuel efficient.

These are made on Ford, GM, and Chrysler platforms and you can find some deals on them.  As not just everyone
would consider something like one of these "Shuttle Vans",  but with the seats removed and the interior built to
your needs it may have much more to offer.

185155_1_large.jpg

Here is one man's story of his large family and what they learned by choosing one.

http://www.fatherof11.com/shuttle_bus.html

Here's one old fellows "Desert Rat" Shuttle that he uses an old horse trailer (no doubt purchased for cheap)
that he carries his motorcycle and supplies in. 

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Here-s-a-nifty-rig-I-saw

You may want something that looks a bit nicer but this owner isn't too concerned with the looks of his.

Let me invite you to view my links below.  The first one is about setting up a basic Van where the last page
has the proposed design of a utility trailer that would tow the household comforts built into it.  The Van would house the bed Kitchenette, refrigeration so it could be detached from the Van and the Van taken for sight seeing trips or excursions of a day or more before returning to the trailer. (parked in a safe guarded place).

The second site is a portal of handy information at your fingertips to use once you leave to go on the road.
There are many international resources in it and several trip planners that will suggest side trips as you travel.
(asking you how far off your main route that you would be willing to drive to see them.  It offers photos of the attractions and combines with Google's "street view" so you could actually take a virtual trip there to see if you would be interested before driving there.)

So good luck with your research and selection of vehicle.  All the best !

Welcome Seamonik to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. just keep asking we will try to provide the answers. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Seamonik to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  just keep asking we will try to provide the answers.  highdesertranger

thank you all !

Actually we will not be living in the van for more than the time it takes to drive from A to B. We are moving to Mexico. I will have to make it happen with a van that is not to big since we will not be living there full time.

I have lived in 3 continents and all over this country, crisscrossed it many times, I am a gypsy by heart. I am 63 years old and no longer take off on a whim. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
I will go see the van tomorrow and try to find a mechanic around to check it out. I am not too worried about the engine, more all the electrical system. I currently drive a 96 Subaru with 204.000 miles on it, and beside a leak of power steering fluid, the electrical stuff goes one after the other.

Well that's all folks! for now

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/5855320783.html

check it out!

seamonik said:
I have lived in 3 continents and all over this country, crisscrossed it many times, I am a gypsy by heart. I am 63 years old and no longer take off on a whim. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

My apologies if my previous post about 'doing it wrong' made you think you I was offended.   I was trying to be being sarcastic, which doesn't always come through clearly in writing.  

Good for you for being clear and what you need and willing to take quick action to achieve your goals!  Carpe diem!

Good luck - that looks like a great van for a good price, assuming it checks out mechanically!

Hey Monique - really curious to hear how the van checked out for you? Still looking or think this might be the one?

hanesworthy said:
Hey Monique - really curious to hear how the van checked out for you?  Still looking or think this might be the one?

Hello there!

Well, carfax is clean, a mechanic looked at it, beside a few dings, the right passenger window problems, the driver side idler arm needs to be replaced and there seems to be a coolant leak, which alarms my mechanic. Without seeing it himself, he is afraid of a bigger problem with the engine.

The van is an hour from home, so my wonderful mechanic cannot look at it. we will see later this morning what to do next. Otherwise, no rot, inside is good.that's the latest.

take care out there, Monique

hanesworthy said:
Hey Monique - really curious to hear how the van checked out for you?  Still looking or think this might be the one?

well, the story got a weird ending!

On Saturday I waited for my mechanic to tell me how to go ahead, he never called. We went out to meet some friends, and on the way we got into an accident, we are alright, but the old Subaru is kaput!

In the meantime the van was sold. Which is fine, since I did some more research and some people say that american cars are not easy to fix in central and south america, I have to figure out why there are these discrepancies.

So here we go again!

Well thank god for the motorcycle, it gets me to the store.

Latest posts