Help me pick a jack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reebs

Reaction score
We have a Ford S350 and need to buy a jack for potentially changing a tire. I don't know enough to do maintenance myself, so it isn't for working under the van, just for the emergency tire change.  I selected one with a 5000lbs max, and the spouse thinks that may not be heavy duty enough. My thought is that at least two tires will be on the ground, so it doesn't have to hold the full weight. His thought is that the van weighs more than that.  Which of us is correct? If he is, where do you find a jack with a higher weight rating?

The Chevy pickup I had in the early 70s came with a bottle jack. The problem was that the jack was too tall to fit under the front jacking point (the lower control arm) when the tire was flat.

So make certain whatever you get will fit.

Also, if your spare is under the van, make certain you have the rod thing that turns the tire release gizmo.

My opinion at least a 3 ton and heavy duty jack stands. If you are unsure of your skills have some show you how and practice before you do it or have a good road side service as well.

reebs said:
We have a Ford S350 and need to buy a jack for potentially changing a tire.

You should also get a pair of wheel chocks.

The higher the jacks rating, the easier it is for you and the jack to pick up the load.

For a hydraulic bottle jack I like the 20ton size. Why, Because it will lift anything I care to throw at it with ease.

Most hydraulic jacks today are made in China and are non-rebuildable, so basically throw them in the trash when they are done. If that matters to anybody. I doubt it.

Go check bone yard might find  one that is for your van . most jacks are left in vehicle when taken to bone yard,

Slow2day said you should get some chocks. He's absolutely correct. And once you have them, USE THEM!

We won't go into any discussion about how I know this......