Help! Creating solar system on a Transit Connect

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evalani

Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to figure out what I need for my solar system. I found 160 watt flexible panels with ETFE lamination for a good price (I think it’s a Renogy not sold under that name) and could possibly fit two panels next to each other in the front area of the roof 44 inch space. Next, I am thinking I am getting a Renogy Voyager charge controller. My question is, couldn’t I just get a Goal Zero portable battery like Yeti 400 which already has the charge controller and the inverter built in? I am looking for easy and simple, even though I am starting to understand solar power and parts. But still, it seems less stuff and less cables if i just went with a Yeti 400. Is it easy to connect the solar panels to that? The Yeti has an 8mm Input. 
Another question is that in the solar panel description they talk about 18V, but I think it is for a 12V battery. I have seen that for 100 W panels too. That’s something I don’t quite understand yet. 
Here is the link to the solar panel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/160-Watt-E...Solar-Panel-Ultra-Lightweight-MA/264019269971
Any help very much appreciated. I want to order soon. Btw, this system is for full time van life.
Thank you!

You can charge most of those mobile power packs with external panels such as the one you posted, but you will most likely need an adapter to convert the pair of MC4 connectors from each panel to the input connector that your pack uses.

Most vendors that sell the packs, also sell the adaptors. 

And yes, 18v (up to about 22v) panels are considered to be 12v panels for battery charging and are compatible with virtually ALL PWM and MPPT controllers, and mobile power packs. The voltages are in effect, 'matched up' inside the charge controller.

But, most of the inexpensive PWM controllers and most power packs WONT handle panels that are around 36v and above. You will need an MPPT controller for those.

Thank you for your great answer!
If I use two panels, does the voltage add up? So two 18V panels make 36V, in which case i would need an MPPT charge controller?

And is there any advantage to not going with the portable Yeti 400 but rather go for the whole setup with controller, battery, inverter?

Two similar panels wired in parallel will maintain the panel voltage.

As long as your controller will handle the combined current, you should be good to go.

For ease of use and simple installation, many travelers find the power pack solution works for them.

It will meet your needs IF your needs are modest, in other words, charging phones, tablets, and/or laptops, normal LED lights at night, maybe the occasional use of a cordless drill charger or hair trimmer, electric toothbrush, stuff like that.

For powering a fridge, PLUS all the other stuff, you will likely need to ramp up your plans. 

It will NOT be able to power things like hair dryers, coffee makers, microwaves, toaster ovens, circular saws, etc.

I might have found an answer to one of my questions. If you run several panels in a row, the voltage stays the same, but the amps add up. For the 160 W panel I am looking at at it says short circuit current 9.47 A for one panel. So two panels would be roughly 20 A. It is possible that the Yeti 400 cannot handle that in which case I could go with just one panel or do the other setup. Can someone tell me a good inverter to get with maybe two A.C. outlets and some USB and 12 V car adapter. And what about the battery? Is that just a car battery which I could get at Napa? Sorry if these questions seem dumb. Just totally new to thinking about electricity. :-/

Lets back up.

What do you NEED to power?

And what would you LIKE to power?

If you are doing all of this just to recharge a phone, we are in the wrong ballpark.

Oh, I just saw your answer. Thank you! Yes, I do want a small 12 V fridge, so I might have to go with the other system and not the Yeti, but two 160 W panels should still be enough for what I want to use it. I calculated that I would need about 200 W. Ah, my brain is smoking.
I will still call Goal Zero on Monday and ask if the Yeti 400 can handle the two panels.

Need to power a bigger laptop (65 W I think) several hours a day for trading, electric tooth brush, phone, small 12 v fridge, fan, maybe one of the Air Max fans, Idk. The laptop is the bigger thing. I want to make sure I have enough power for several hours a day for day trading. At that time I also run my phone non stop. And I would need a fan running at the same time (Hawaii).