Hello to all!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GloNJoan

Reaction score
Hi,

Making the choice to join up and talk on this forum will probably help me remain sane. I'm presently living in my father in law's house and waiting for my husband to retire and for our personal house to sell. We also have a small rental property that has major issues. My husband is working on that and it will go on the market too.

The plan is to buy a small RV, travel a bit, husband goes to school to get certified as a RV Tech, then travel the country, working a few days and enjoying retirement. I'll do his appointments, create a website, etc., continue to create myself. He gets to keep a hand in his work life, which he loves and we see the country and meet wonderful people and see beauty on a daily basis, while slimming our footprints.

I am a partially disabled, former massage therapist, presently a budding jewelry designer and portraitist who is ready to get my Prius set up to go on the road. I'm loving all the videos that Bob has posted on Youtube and having a ball living vicariously through them. There is such a wanderlust in my heart that I am secretly planning (with my husband's full knowledge) to get my car ready for a trip to RTR.

I am a list maker and intend to begin prep this weekend. Don't know how long that will take, but with intent, it can happen in time for 2-3+ day trips in the fall.

Getting rid of stuff is happening now; goodbye to jewelry (I'm wearing everything around the house to find out if it is a keeper or a donate - mostly donate so far), goodbye to clothes, goodbye to furniture (mostly), goodbye to stuff I never thought I would give up. I can always take a photo and put it on an external hard drive.

Oh, living in Maryland for now.

When is the next RTR?

Happy to meet you and in great admiration of the fearlessness I've seen.

Holly

Welcome to the CRVL forums Holly! You don't need a lot to get started, just a small tent for storage and a possible sleeping area, a sleeping bag, a cooler, and food. Start with the minimum, take a few short trips, and add extra things as you get more experience.

The RTR is in January. Final plans and dates will be announced closer to the actual date.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

That sounds like a great plan going forward! I think one of the pitfalls of the mobile life can be long term sustainability. Your plan for being a mobile RV tech outfit could be a very sustainable thing, especially if your labor prices are gauged for the full-time boondocking community (in other words, affordable prices!) Thanks to smart phones, Amazon, eBay, UPS and the post office, business on the road is getting easier to do. If your husband is into electronics, he could do very well designing and installing/servicing RV solar systems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We're in the process of downsizing too :) I'm finding that the more I part with, the easier it's getting. About a month ago I sold a bunch of books, including my collected works of Thoreau. Today I got the urge to read Walden, so I'm listening to it on librivox. It's so freeing to give up the idea that I have to OWN something to have it!

Oh man Tina, I love that you've got a good plan. I'm into jewelry as well- mostly metalwork usung cold connections, so I don't have to worry about large tanks of gas. I do have a lovely flexshaft though and I soooo don't want to give that sucker up. I can do everything by hand if needbe.... it's just that I don't wanta.

Nice meeting you!

Latest posts