Hello! Hiker / Nomads?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UptownSport

Reaction score
Hello Nomads!
Quit job a couple months ago, bought a rusty c-van, and [size=medium]shut off fibre optic today.[/size]

I really like hiking - not like 14ers serious- but i try to get out everyday. Work sent me to Denver; fell in love with the West.

I'm pretty mechanical- use the old farm machines to make and sell automotive parts on eBay. Always had few hundred dollar cars and drive them for a decade- change things or remove an item if i just don't like it. My last car had a $200 DIY fuel injection unit running it- stand alone. All weekend we just machine stuff or wrench.

I was in the Army Nat’l Guard for 11 years, so have health care and will babble on about how good G.I. gear is.

Other than that my van life skills are lacking. Been camping near the North Shore, and, well, there's a bunch of stuff to figure out … Well, pretty much everything!

I'm thinking of leaving out in a couple of weeks and was wondering about camp spots- i saw the writeup on Steamboat- unfortunately after driving attempting to follow NFS MVUM ended up a funny zero.

Any other hikers that have boondock spot advice???? Looking forward to being out west this winter.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your service. You guys deserve all the benefits you get.

Rabbit Ears pass is the place near Steamboat, but the forecast is for 14"-18" inches of snow. 

Head south man! Try the desert, it's an acquired taste. And it's good.

Yeah, it's about time to leave Colorado and head toward warmer places, lots of them available right now.

That's why we live on wheels, if someplace is better than this one, we go there!

Welcome UptownSport to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

UptownSport said:
Any other hikers that have boondock spot advice???? Looking forward to being out west this winter.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in CO SPRINGS,  Heading south tomorrow. .. I posted some spots in CO in boondock reviews,  but I agree ... time to start working your way south. ..

BTW,  Welcome aboard. ..

Pat

Yeah unless you like hiking and camping in the snow I would and am following Bob's advice and heading south in a few weeks for the winter. Here at my place in the north CO mountains there is a winter weather advisory tonight for 4-8" of snow at 7500 feet and above! Yep the desert is calling my name ha ha! Need more info on your direction and or destination to recommend boon docking spots.

Thanks, I got way more outa the service than I put in.
Best thing you can do for troops is to stop the wars, in all seriousness.

Tire chains.  More stuff.

Thanks! Found reviews- I'll check them out!!!!

Here's me in CO, kinda took to it like an addict to ... addictive stuff.

@Stormy
Srsly, be very happy to hear more about the Southwest, especially a line on any hike spots.
He's right, it does have wheels. Looked at a few areas (Flagstaff, four corners. Moab, etc).
Maps and websites are good, but it all kinda gets jumbled- and most stuff isn't presented from a C-van dweller's perspective.
So very much appreciate any pointers on warm winter recreation. All I know about it is from old Eagles tunes ...

Attachments

• 20170504_133138.jpg
    20170504_133138.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 16
So many places in the southwest to see and visit Bob has some wonderful vids on camping in NM among other places. The ultimate destination for most here is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Quartzsite  Az which hosted ever year by Bob. There is a ton of info here and on YT about it. Ehrenberg Az is also where many winter before the RTR as there is not the time limit that other places have. Also a van build party in Lake Havasu City and also a GTG in northern AZ coming up really soon. Havasau Falls is an amazing place to see but you must plan ahead for that one.

If you're really adventurous there's nothing like the experience of Slab City either. Being an adventurous hiker I would not leave out the Grand Canyon or if you feel really lucky you could go search for the lost gold at the lost Dutchman gold mine! Also a huge lake just north of Phoenix called lake pleasant with some great camping. Cave Creek is also nice. I myself also enjoy the many natural hot springs all over the SW.

If you are Real Good at poetry, the only hiking involved would be far as an 80yr old man would care to while toting 20lbs, otherwise, searching to find Forrest Fenn's Treasure could take you to any number of the nicest places I have seen in the Rockies, possibly from New Mexico through Yellowstone !
Google it ! :) wheels

pnolans said:
I'm in CO SPRINGS,  Heading south tomorrow. .. I posted some spots in CO in boondock reviews,  but I agree ... time to start working your way south. ..

BTW,  Welcome aboard. ..

Pat

Hello UpTownSports, 

I'm not sure where you are, but I would head south on I25, and then to I40.  Somewhere after Winslow, I would head south to I10.  The weather will start getting warmer there.  If it was me, I would head for Ehrenberg.  

Here's an offer:  I hope to be leaving CO Springs today.  I am willing to wait in Raton , NM for a day if you have a desire to catch up.  After that, I would be willing to wait for 2 days in Albuquerque.   I don't plan on doing any real "boondocking", I'm trying to get to Pahrump, NV.  But I'm willing to help you get started and headed in the right direction.    Maybe do a little "boot camp" about living on the road.   :)

If you're interested, shoot me a PM, and I'll provide my cell phone # and email address.  

Regards, 

Pat

Welcome!

Not as warm as AZ, but I'm a fan of southern NM, just love the feel of the place.

Stormy said:
Also a van build party in Lake Havasu City and also a GTG in northern AZ coming up really soon. Havasau Falls is an amazing place to see but you must plan ahead for that one.

Being an adventurous hiker I would not leave out the Grand Canyon or if you feel really lucky you could go search for the lost gold at the lost Dutchman gold mine! Also a huge lake just north of Phoenix called lake pleasant with some great camping. Cave Creek is also nice. I myself also enjoy the many natural hot springs all over the SW.
Thanks for the reply, places like Cave Creek, Grand Canyon- That gets me excited!!!

Tire chains are on the way :(

Hiking gives me solace, and keeps me healthy, besides. Two of my brothers have had heart attacks before 40. I'm 51.

And buried treasure? Sounds like someone's mouth should have a hook in it.

pnolans said:
If it was me, I would head for Ehrenberg.  

Here's an offer: 

Regards, 

Pat

Thanks, Pat! MN is still very nice, Really appreciate the offer, extremely kind- I've got all kinds of stuff to do, so it'll be 2x weeks.
You don't want to get caught up wrenching on an old C-van.

Queen said:
Welcome!

Not as warm as AZ, but I'm a fan of southern NM, just love the feel of the place.

AZ, That's on the way, saw some videos.

Appreciate this, even Googling going to the North Shore here- was so limited- I really didn't know what to expect until i got there.
And the country is a big place to drive everywhere on a post or map image.

The MVUM of CO sucked- I drove a rental up some mountain rd, and there wasn't even a place for even a motorcycle to pull off where NFS had little campsite dots. Was so ridiculous it was funny.

For some reason I thought you were in Denver! 

Good luck,  hope to meet you soon. 

Pat

LoL

I'm thinking Mpls> Rapid City> Denver area> Moab> Flagstaff> now interested in adding places you's suggested, then see what thermometer says, if wrenches aren't worn out from fixing vehicle ;)

I'm hoping to be outa here in about 2x weeks, I'll firm up plans then.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful reply's, unless there's a hiker nomad who's just as nuts as i am and has lists, I'll post in another area- Thanks again!!

I just left Moab a few days ago...that place was awesome and I'd love to have stuck around for the winter if it was warmer. As it is I am already contemplating heading further south than I am (St George, UT) because of the temperatures...plus I have to work and I'm not liking how massive this town is.

BTW I love to hike and backpack too...was hoping to hike Angel's Landing before I leave as I am currently just outside Zion.

For hiking, if you are ever in Texas in the area of Guadalupe Mtns. NP the hike to Guadalupe Peak should be on your list. 8.4 miles round trip and 3,000' elevation gain from the trailhead to the highest peak in Texas. 8,751 feet.
I gave it a go last week and did about 7 miles of it. It's an all day effort and longer for me. Groan.... lol It's strenuous.

Thank you too, Dennis. TX sounds awesome, too!
I'll end up zigging and zagging ...

Didn't know that about cold and the west- such a n00b- here in Frigidaire city I'm in shorts an t-shirt and still sweating.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and welcomes!!!!