Hello from Oklahoma!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I actually started posting a few days ago because of a problem I am having with my van, so I figured that I should do an intro post for everyone to tell a little about myself.

Trekking, adventuring, and the minimalist lifestyle has been my lifestyle long before it became a buzzword and popular.  You name it, and it has been a means I have used from bicycle travel/camping to motorcycle travel/camping to backpacking, to bus hopping, to handcycle touring, to full time living in a car, a class C motorhome, and even a Class A. 

My professional career came crashing down early in 2012, and while it resulted in a lot of unpleasant things, it forced me to re-examine myself and where I was going with the rest of my life.  It has been a roller coaster ride, but a little over two years ago I came across Bob's documentary on YouTube and I knew instantly what I was going to do, well, at least in what I was going to do it in. 

I did massive research and ended up buying my first van two years ago this past April.  Since I have some background in furniture manufacturing and design I leaped right into customizing my van (My beloved, 'Southwest Express') and headed out on the road in about a month. 

That led to being on the road full time up until this past October when I fell off a ladder doing body work on my van resulting in a shattered foot and broken hip.  It is not lost to me that I am blessed to have a very loving and supportive family who have taken VERY good care of me over this healing period.  And thankfully I was finally able to get back to doing what I love two weeks ago.

Unfortunately, due to some challenges, not the least was a major breakdown of my van a week ago in Central New Mexico, I will have to put off van life for a little while longer.  In the meantime I will be making preparations for the next journey my van will take me on, and, one of the most fulfilling one's I will ever set out on.

My 'claim to fame' was that, years ago, I walked all of Route 66 from Chicago to L.A.  It garnished a great deal of publicity and earned me the privilege of speaking at the convention center in Los Angeles.  While I am grateful for all the publicity from that time, I want to take the time to re-travel the route documenting on film all the stories that went with it, thus the name for myself here. 

I am looking forward to being back on the road again and getting to know many of you!

Cool story....well...except for the injury... :( 

I can give you a nice tour of the 1 mile stretch of 'old' RT66 thru Amarillo sometime if you'd like.

Not just the 'touristy' stuff, but actually meet and visit with the people who are my friends and live and work in that area. Great food, cool little places...etc.

Hit me up if you wander on thru!

Welcome to the forum. I'm down in the Dallas Ft Worth area.

Thanks!  I am down there quite a bit since I have relatives there.  In fact, that is where my van is being worked on right now.  Maybe we will catch up there some time.

tx2sturgis said:
Cool story....well...except for the injury... :( 

I can give you a nice tour of the 1 mile stretch of 'old' RT66 thru Amarillo sometime if you'd like.

Not just the 'touristy' stuff, but actually meet and visit with the people who are my friends and live and work in that area. Great food, cool little places...etc.

Hit me up if you wander on thru!

Thanks!

I did a week run on old 66 from Bethany, Oklahoma to Santa Rosa, New Mexico two weeks ago and spent two days in Amarillo actually.  I stayed overnight at the Walmart on the southwest part of town on 45th Avenue while I was there.  I drove the whole route through the area and did it ever bring back memories!  I forgot how much I loved San Jacinta Heights. 

Since my journey got shut down early, I will be back through there and would love the tour!  I really enjoy the "real" Route 66 things such as the people, etc. so that would be great!

I used to know the human resource director for the Big Texan, but she is no longer there.  When my family came and got me in New Mexico a week ago we stopped and ate at the Big Texan.  LOTS of memories there too!

Nope....I didn't know her...

But it sounds like we might have circulated in the same...circles.

A friend of mine just bought a little bar n grill, with incredible food, on 6th...interesting story behind it...I took this picture there last weekend.

Will have to fill you in sometime... ;)

handlebar.jpg

Attachments

• handlebar.jpg
    handlebar.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 11
Very cool place!  I remember seeing it when I drove through Amarillo a couple of weeks ago.

Welcome Van on 66 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard the Crazy Train !
Alllllllllllllll Aboaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Thanks rvpopeye!  All I can say is that I fit right in!  :)

Sounds like you had a couple set backs there Van on 66. I hate it when things like that happen and am always mindful it could be any moment. I'm down here a little south of you too. I was across the river two days ago. Don't tell anyone though. :)

You must have had some seriously good footwear to trek from Chicago to LA. What happened with your van in New Mexico anyway?

Hi Dennis.   It is great to meet another Dennis!

You are wise to acknowledge that reality.  I have NEVER been injured in my life so all of this came as a real shocker and eye opener for me.  Needless to say, as you alluded to, it made me very conscious of just how fragile this life is.  And, that in turn help bring about the decision to do the follow up journey on Route 66 that I have put off for 12 years. 

With that kind of stress on the body, good footwear was a priority and a great investment.  Needless to say, I came to be quite an expert on shoes, at least at the time.  Like anything else, it changes every few months. 

My van shut off and then wouldn't start when I was in New Mexico.  In all my years of traveling this was also a first and I have been around the country in some vehicles that should have stranded me.  The saga is still unresolved, but has come down to the PCM and the harness that connects to it that transmits the signal for the fuel pump.  If you jiggle the harness you can get it to start, but that only last for a few seconds to a few minutes.

Don't worry...your secret about being across the river is safe with me.  :)

I have had a few bumps and wounds but nothing broken yet. Been lucky on that. I have been looking into some better trail/light hiking boots but they don't have to stand up to the Route 66. Not up to that.
Hopefully your PCM issue gets repaired and get you going again. Sure hope that isn't contagious. lol

CautionToTheWind said:
Welcome Van on 66! Sounds interesting!

CautionToTheWind, I LOVE that quote by Abraham Lincoln! He is one of my favorite Presidents. Thank You!

Greetings Van on 66 !

Take time to heal and get your feet and hip in good working order! And I will pray for a speedy recovery! I would love to hear some more about that famous walk on route 66...

Peace to you!

Regina said:
Greetings Van on 66 !

Take time to heal and get your feet and hip in good working order! And I will pray for a speedy recovery! I would love to hear some more about that famous walk on route 66...

Peace to you!

Thanks for the welcome and the greeting Regina!

I appreciate the prayers and well wishes.  The healing process has been a journey all in and of itself.  It has been a little over ten months now and I am thankful for coming as far as I have, but ready to be fully back. 

As for hearing more about my walk on Route 66...you're in luck because that is my favorite subject!  I have a couple of links to a radio broadcast on NPR and also a transcript to the speech I gave at the L.A. Convention Center that I will send on to you after I look them up.  Don't let me forget. 

Chat more soon...

Latest posts