Hello from KY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Carrico

Reaction score
Hey all. We just purchased a high top 2014 Ford Econoline 350 extended passenger van that was previously set up for handicap and elderly transport. We pulled out all the foldaway seats, two doubles and three singles. I'm having a hard time finding outfitters that cater to the old Econolines. Can y'all point me in the direction of companies who might make stuff for these vehicles? Also, anybody interested in some foldaway seats, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20240821_171418032_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240821_171418032_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240821_171442124_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240821_171442124_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Professional outfitters tend to work on the current models that are still available right from the factory with minimal amounts of stuff that needs to be removed. That business model is where the big buck customers and profits are. They interior fabricators what they are getting and likely have access to some 3DCAD files that make custom interior design easier.

Tearing into a used decade old vehicle such as yours can open up a bunch of issues to be found behind the walls. Yours has the potential for that because of the wiring that was added and changed and the structural changes involved with an aftermarket company that has been in there making changes for installing that lift.

You will just have to look and look to find someone with a good reputation who has the both the time and might also be affordable and will take on that vehicle and be willing to bid on the job. Finding a second person for a comparable bid will take even more patience. And be sure they can refer you to previous customers who will hopefully let you see those previous conversion jobs in person.

Last edited:
Welcome! Lots of space in there! Most older vans are owner custom builds as full timers need to utilize every inch of space to meet their individual needs. I would suggest you start camping/living in your van with simple temporary fixtures like totes or cardboard boxes to get an idea of what your needs will be.

Professional outfitters tend to work on the current models that are still available right from the factory with minimal amounts of stuff that needs to be removed. That business model is where the big buck customers and profits are. They interior fabricators what they are getting and likely have access to some 3DCAD files that make custom interior design easier.

Tearing into a used decade old vehicle such as yours can open up a bunch of issues to be found behind the walls. Yours has the potential for that because of the wiring that was added and changed and the structural changes involved with an aftermarket company that has been in there making changes for installing that lift.

You will just have to look and look to find someone with a good reputation who has the both the time and might also be affordable and will take on that vehicle and be willing to bid on the job. Finding a second person for a comparable bid will take even more patience. And be sure they can refer you to previous customers who will hopefully let you see those previous conversion jobs in person.
I'm building it out myself, just wondering if there are any manufacturers selling prefabs of any kind for vans like this. If not, I'll build the stuff myself, but it'd be nice to not have too. I appreciate the advice tho, it's solid advice for folks looking to hire the work out.

Welcome! Lots of space in there! Most older vans are owner custom builds as full timers need to utilize every inch of space to meet their individual needs. I would suggest you start camping/living in your van with simple temporary fixtures like totes or cardboard boxes to get an idea of what your needs will be.
Not far from how we intend to start out. I figured I'd build a bed frame with under storage first, and then just start road tripping and living out of it with some totes and this really cool toilet thing the wife found. I was just looking for some slick prefab pieces to save time and effort on the built ins.

Not far from how we intend to start out. I figured I'd build a bed frame with under storage first, and then just start road tripping and living out of it with some totes and this really cool toilet thing the wife found. I was just looking for some slick prefab pieces to save time and effort on the built ins.
Four of the yellow top totes (30”x20”) with a piece of plywood 30”x80” laid on top makes a good bed platform and one on either side if two people but if you are too tall to sleep across the vehicle three across and side by side with some end reinforcing works without many alterations to the vehicle until you get it figured out without much work or money. A foam mattress topper can be cut with a bread knife and encased in cheap nylon sleeping bags for a custom mattress.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated on your build!

Back when I had my E-250 I was able to find lots of online suppliers for these vans, although most of the products were 'trade' related:

https://upfitsupply.com/ford/e-series/van-shelving/

https://www.americanvan.com/shop-by-vehicle/ford-e-series/shelving

https://rangerdesign.com/product-brands/ford-econoline/

or,

You might find something of interest thru some of the more 'generic' suppliers:

https://www.amazon.com/van-center-console/s?k=van+center+console

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-parts-rv-accessories

I always imagine that having that commercial metal shelving must sound like driving away in a car decorated with long tails of empty tin cans they used to attach to the bumpers of cars for the newly wedded couples. I hate noisy rattles when driving🤬 But that does not stop me from fantasizing about owning one of the red and black vans used by that mobile tool sales company. Was it Mac tools? I have not seen one around since pre Covid era when I had a workshop in an industrial zone so my recall is not reliable.

Last edited:
Yeah that would be the case if the metal shelving was left 'bare'...but if they were covered with vinyl wrap, rhinolining, or contact paper, veneer wood paneling, or something similar, they might be usable especially in an extended, hightop van as posted by the OP.

I've seen some rather rickety DIY wood and plastic 'furniture' in some vans that looked way worse after a few years bouncing down the road. This commercial stuff has good 'bones'...although...it sure isn't cheap.

Many of the premium RVs now use as little 'real' wood as possible. You can pay dearly for that industrial, commercial look and build quality, but it will outlast a wood build, and it wont rot or get mold or mildew problems.

That said, it certainly isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Van Living Forum Jason :)

Now that the weather is cooling down in some parts of the country, you may want to just start with a simple no-build and do some day trips and week end camp outs for a shake down. A few of those outings will give you a better idea of what to expect and what you would need to sustain yourself once you go out there for your first extended trip.

I think it is well advised to do some of this stuff if you've never done anything like it before.

Since you are in KY, Visone RV Salvage could offer numerous parts you may be interested in salvaged from "dead" RV's.

Symol, KY 40729 (about 60 miles below Lexington)
606 843 9889

Rivertown RV salvage in La Grange, Ky 502 443 1872 (about 20 miles east of Louisville)

https://www.rivertownrv.com/

If you get in touch with some of these places they may know of facilities that customize Van's as those people may rely on these salvage places for parts. Then they could refer you to them.

Good luck in your quest

Welcome to the Van Living Forum Jason :)

Now that the weather is cooling down in some parts of the country, you may want to just start with a simple no-build and do some day trips and week end camp outs for a shake down. A few of those outings will give you a better idea of what to expect and what you would need to sustain yourself once you go out there for your first extended trip.

I think it is well advised to do some of this stuff if you've never done anything like it before.

Since you are in KY, Visone RV Salvage could offer numerous parts you may be interested in salvaged from "dead" RV's.

Symol, KY 40729 (about 60 miles below Lexington)
606 843 9889

Rivertown RV salvage in La Grange, Ky 502 443 1872 (about 20 miles east of Louisville)

https://www.rivertownrv.com/

If you get in touch with some of these places they may know of facilities that customize Van's as those people may rely on these salvage places for parts. Then they could refer you to them.

Good luck in your quest

Big thanks. This is my kinda stuff. Can't thank you enough, and not far away, lol.

Yeah that would be the case if the metal shelving was left 'bare'...

Many of the premium RVs now use as little 'real' wood as possible. You can pay dearly for that industrial, commercial look and build quality, but it will outlast a wood build, and it wont rot or get mold or mildew problems.

That said, it certainly isn't for everyone.
a)
In our ExpeditionVehicle, we have one quarter of the interior with wire-rack shelving.
I anchor it to the wall using 'eye'-bolts.
For this type of shelving, a one-inch opening (the 'eye') is a perfect fit for the steel rod up-rights.
To keep our gear from falling off a shelf, I angled the up-rights -- and hence, the wire-rack shelves -- by placing the top eye-bolts tight to the wall, and the lower fasteners screwed out a couple inches.
Everybody is different.
Over two decades full-time live-aboard, we never noticed our shelves rattling.
b)
The term 'premium RVs' might include factory ExpeditionVehicles.
While true they can have less wood around the interior, I think too many take the easy route with white plastic panels, offering all the ambience of a hospital corridor.
2003, we built our ExpeditionVehicle with only wood in the interior:
- so-called 'cabinet-grade' Maple paneling on the walls, with
- arched Cedar 2x4s across the ceiling to enhance our 'Gypsy-vardo' look.
Our floor is a bamboo perimeter with a slate center.
For cohesion and harmony, I think an interior needs a theme.
We chose to not follow along with that trendy 'hospital corridor' fad.

a)
In our ExpeditionVehicle, we have one quarter of the interior with wire-rack shelving.
I anchor it to the wall using 'eye'-bolts.
For this type of shelving, a one-inch opening (the 'eye') is a perfect fit for the steel rod up-rights.
To keep our gear from falling off a shelf, I angled the up-rights -- and hence, the wire-rack shelves -- by placing the top eye-bolts tight to the wall, and the lower fasteners screwed out a couple inches.
Everybody is different.
Over two decades full-time live-aboard, we never noticed our shelves rattling.
b)
The term 'premium RVs' might include factory ExpeditionVehicles.
While true they can have less wood around the interior, I think too many take the easy route with white plastic panels, offering all the ambience of a hospital corridor.
2003, we built our ExpeditionVehicle with only wood in the interior:
- so-called 'cabinet-grade' Maple paneling on the walls, with
- arched Cedar 2x4s across the ceiling to enhance our 'Gypsy-vardo' look.
Our floor is a bamboo perimeter with a slate center.
For cohesion and harmony, I think an interior needs a theme.
We chose to not follow along with that trendy 'hospital corridor' fad.

Eugene Oregon.
My neighbors Keara and Bill customize interiors in Sprinter-type vans and ambulances, by hand, one at a time.
I am sure they will work with you.
PM me.
Wow, that's a hike for some built ins, lol. Probably just gonna build it out myself if nobody is making prefabs for this platform. I don't NEED prefabs, but they'd make this easier. I'm perfectly capable of building the cabinetry myself, it'll just take a lot longer than somebody who does it on the regular. I'm one of those jack of all trades guys with a lot of tools and shop space.

I have also seem some foam interior builds that looked pretty good. It's a bit of an effort, but the results might be worth it, in some cases.

The primary benefit is that they are very lightweight, so your existing weight carrying capacities are maximized, because very little wood is used, and wood can be quite heavy.

This youtuber has a lot of DIY lightweight foam cabinets on board:

https://www.youtube.com/@falkornomad/search?query=foam

I am not good with wood working or metal working or ... but I do sew a lot, my kitchen is mostly pegboard and plywood, not a great job but works just right for me. I tried a few different ideas for storage on the floor and under the bed, but dog is so big it really cramped his space, so I sewed a few overhead 'storage bins' 2 for each of us. And one extra for whatever, 4-5 small bags to hang up off the floor also for misalliance stuff, charger cords, first aid, paperwork, night time stuff etc. I made covers for the seats with big pockets on the back for more storage they hold computers and potty stuff on one side, the other holds doggy tie cable and his bags and treats and stuff. then I made more pocket things for the doors and one for hubby's side of the bed. they act like night stands as well as storage for more 'stuff', books, speakers, extra batteries, bug spray and whatever. We still have a few things under the bed out of doggy's reach with his big ol' feet, boxes that just fit and the jackery power thingy, extra power cord and some toys for us. My watercolors and embroidery boxes and hubby' has his chess set.

I would also suggest you do some time in your van to find out just what you need to be comfy. Is it more space for your legs feet and stretch out room for ???. Or is it more strong hard storage space for more toys etc. or whatever.

The bags are super light weight and easy to wash. They are made of the same fabric as some of the quilt stuff for the bed so.... The pockets on the door are awork in progress we started out with the door shoe pocket things from Walmart but they didn't last long and are being replaced by my sewn things. I covered the seats in the front of the van because they where in great shape and if we want them

I built these standard dimension poplar wood, off the shelf at Home Depot, cabinet doors with Phifertex mesh center panels. They are shown in the photo below. I built them
while I was traveling, (no workshop space required!) using a Japaneseh andsaw and miter guide that cuts perfectly square joints, more accurate than a power miter saw! Plus that Japanese hand saw cuts very fast
with little physical effort. You can buy it on Amazon. If you want to see those small Zetsaw Brand, guided hand saws in action here is a YouTube video link.
IMG_0744.jpeg

Last edited: