Hello from Amanda & Matt (The Van Project)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

van.project

Reaction score
Hi there!

My partner Matt and I have been traveling/living in our self-built (well, technically self-renovated) 1964 Clark Cortez RV/Campervan for almost 2 years now. We're @van.project on instagram where some people might have seen our rig and Matt's photos (he's the photographer I take no credit).

We had no idea about this forum until a few days ago when I discovered it since we're finally going to make it out to the RTR this year! (We had plans to go last year but got stuck in Matt's dad's driveway in Palm Springs with the flu instead  :sleepy: ). 

If I had to choose a word to describe 2018 for us it would be "community" or gatherings. When we hit the road we left an amazing community in San Francisco and after the excitement and freedom of the first few months wore off we started feeling a bit lonely. I've been an event planner for almost 10 years and when I heard about vanlife gatherings I knew I wanted to try and get involved. So, both as a way to feel more connected to the nomadic/vandwelling community and since I had never been to Yellowstone, the Tetons or Wyoming, we decided to plan the 2018 Teton Valley Vanlife Gathering in Victor, Idaho. That gathering completely changed our experience on the road. It was AMAZING to meet so many other van, skoolie, RV, truck, and car campers and we've been trying to make as many gatherings as we can since. We're also hoping to plan a gathering in Moab this spring (but trying to track down a good venue!!- if you have any ideas please let us know!)

If I had one more word to describe our 2018 I'd choose climbing: one reason we chose this lifestyle was to live closer to the mountains and get in more days on the wall. In 2018, we visited and climbed at Joshua Tree, Tucson (Mt. Lemmon and Cochise), Indian Creek & Moab, Vedauwoo, Bishop (Happy Boulders, Pine Creek Canyon, etc.), Rocky Mountain National Park and more... 

Oh, and we also added a travel buddy and family member this year: we've raised Royal, our goldendoodle on the road (he's 10 months now).

We love meeting other RVers, vanlifers, and digital nomads in-person and online and nerding out about van builds, solar, and electrical. BUT NOT PLUMBING DEAR GOD NO ;-) We spend most of our time boondocking, but have also successfully slept in many cities (SF, Denver, Tucson, etc.) in our very not so stealth camper without any knocks.

We'll finally be at the RTR this year (arriving around the 12th or 13th) and we can't wait to reunite with people we've met and meet many new people too! 

Amanda (and Matt and Royal)

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 6.41.37 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 6.41.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 6.41.37 PM.png
    949.8 KB
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.05.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.05.40 PM.png
    504.4 KB
Welcome to the CRVL forums Amada and Matt! Cute puppy! And a cool RV too. See you at the RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Amanda & Matt and welcome. Cute dog! Best of luck with everything.

Dogs are the best, aren't they??

Welcome, that's a pretty spiffy house you have there.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Amada and Matt! Cute puppy!  And a cool RV too. See you at the RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you rvwandering! We'll make sure to check out that post. We're so excited for the RTR!

Firebuild said:
Dogs are the best, aren't they??

Welcome, that's a pretty spiffy house you have there.

He makes it a delight to wake up every day (and keeps me excited to get outside even when too it's windy or cold or [insert another silly excuse]). 

Thanks! We love owning a piece of history that we've also made our own (we completely re-did the interior).It's been an amazing home for the last two years (so far)

Cammalu said:
Cool beans RV

We were 100% sure we were getting some sort of van.. and then I saw a photo of a Cortez.. and we fell in love. A one-way ticket to Portland on a chance and the rest is history.

Hi Amanda and Matt! I enjoyed your 'word' for your 2018 year - community. I hope to get out on the road next year and meet other amazing vandwellers such as yourself. Thanks for sharing!