Hello from a newbie in Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplebrian62

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Like most of you I've been watching YouTube and getting all sorts of great info about changing my life. I am recently divorced after a 31 yr marriage. I am being crushed in alimony and I'm now thinking that within the next year or so to buy a trailer/van/rv and make the jump to a Nomad to save money. I have a great job in IT so I can work remotely. But I still need to be in cell range for my daily work. So I will be following this closely until the day that I break away from "normal" house dwelling life. I am an avid nature lover and go tent camping as much as time and the Oregon weather allows. So I think I would adapt quickly. 
Just wanted to say hello and Peace to all of you in these crazy times we are living in!
Brian

Hello Brian, I'm in Oregon as well. Lots of great info on this website. Welcome!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Brian! Sounds like you'll easily fit into this life. There are many beautiful places with excellent cell service where you can boondock and enjoy being out in nature. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks guys! I look forward to the journey and gaining lots of insight. I am not ready right now but within a year or so I'll be doing this. I still need to research the heck out of every detail before I make the big jump

Hello purple guy, and welcome. I know 2 full-timers who work remotely from their vans, both women BTW. One who moves between TX and MI/WI with the seasons, and one who moves around the west (AZ,UT,ID). They both find places to camp for "free", but which are close enough to towns for supplies and good cellular service. They both have multiple backup power sources, including lots of solar. So it is perfectly doable. Have fun (after the current mess hopefully fades away).

purplebrian62 said:
Hi guys,
Like most of you I've been watching YouTube and getting all sorts of great info about changing my life. I am recently divorced after a 31 yr marriage. I am being crushed in alimony and I'm now thinking that within the next year or so to buy a trailer/van/rv and make the jump to a Nomad to save money. I have a great job in IT so I can work remotely. But I still need to be in cell range for my daily work. So I will be following this closely until the day that I break away from "normal" house dwelling life. I am an avid nature lover and go tent camping as much as time and the Oregon weather allows. So I think I would adapt quickly. 
Just wanted to say hello and Peace to all of you in these crazy times we are living in!
Brian

I think you're right. IMNSHO, being an experienced tent camper is THE best way to know what YOU need to be comfortable as a nomad.

I lived in Oregon for many years, then moved to the Puget Sound area to be closer to my sister and her husband. Dumped the apartment this past January and moved into my van - just in time for the virus restrictions! Fortunately, I never intended to rely on official campgrounds anyway, private or public, and have had no problem finding dispersed camping spots.

My general plan is to spend winters in the southwest, summers wandering around the PNW. In the Columbia Gorge right now, boon docking on a friend's land, and taking advantage of the more-or-less stable address to acquire a few things and get some stuff done.

Planning to get to the Dark Sky Preserve in Idaho by the end of the summer.

jacqueg said:
I think you're right. IMNSHO, being an experienced tent camper is THE best way to know what YOU need to be comfortable as a nomad.

I lived in Oregon for many years, then moved to the Puget Sound area to be closer to my sister and her husband. Dumped the apartment this past January and moved into my van - just in time for the virus restrictions! Fortunately, I never intended to rely on official campgrounds anyway, private or public, and have had no problem finding dispersed camping spots.

My general plan is to spend winters in the southwest, summers wandering around the PNW. In the Columbia Gorge right now, boon docking on a friend's land, and taking advantage of the more-or-less stable address to acquire a few things and get some stuff done.

Planning to get to the Dark Sky Preserve in Idaho by the end of the summer.
Thanks! Yeah what you are doing sounds like a great plan for me as well. I go camping in the gorge allot. Going this Saturday in fact. IT's great that your buddy lets you boondock on his land. I need to find somebody like that! lol