Hello folks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first post here. Hello to all the folks in this forum.
 Soon to be very homeless. I bought a cheap, 88 GMC high top 'Get a Way' van that didn't run, but had a clean white paint job and a gutted interior, a real project van. This summer I finally got it running after a lot of time and money, when I went to test how it drove, it didn't go anywhere. Then I had to change out the whole rear end axle with a wrecking yard one, the differential was shot. Then the lights had to be repaired, three days later the lights and switches were all fixed except for one turn signal, cost me $350 to fix the one wire because I was tired and thought it would be a cheap and easy fix..it was easy but not so cheap. A harsh beginning with this van so far.....
 Not new to dwelling in vehicles, first one was my converted 64 VW bug I built fold down front seats and platform/storage in back to make it liveable, later a '50 Dodge 1 ton service van (sweet), and some others over the years, last time I lived in my '95 F150 camper shell for five yrs in Northwest Nevada area.  
 When people would say, "how can you possibly survive in the winter?", I would point out that many of our ancestors got around while living in covered wagons or even much less, if they could do it why can't I? I am looking forward to doing it again, but also fearing it.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Christopher! I hope that you can come to Quartzsite this winter. Many nomads are there now or will be arriving soon.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. You talk about a little fear. A little fear can be a very healthy thing and keep you from making stupid mistakes. It’s the fear overwhelms us and keeps us from enjoying life that we have to fight. It sounds like you have the right experience to continue living in a vehicle. Add to that the information you get from all the CVRL videos, blog, forums etc. and you have knowledge plus experience which adds up to the ability to enjoy this life. I hope it goes well for you, keep in touch you’re on the forum.

I would venture to say, with your ability to fix things, make things work, get stuff done—you will be fine.

I am relatively new to the "adventure" but have gone on a few trips for test runs. As for the cold, well, you have wheels under your covered wagon so go to places that are not really really cold. This spring I went out the first part of May (northern states) and experienced temps down to about 35 at night to about 60 in the day. It was great! I dressed in layers and had a lot of warm blankets on my sleeping area and never got cold.

I am planning another trip for about 5 days next week. The temps are supposed to be slightly below freezing at night to about 50 in the day time. I should learn a lot from this trip.

Eventually when I go full time, probably next year, I will migrate with the birds.

As for the covered wagon analogy, I'd point out that one in ten of the covered wagon travelers died. And even they didn't hang around for the winter.

Being in the cold (and more-than-occasional crappy weather) exacerbates any problems you might have. Inconveniences become crises. Crises become disasters. Minor injuries become life-threatening. And your trusty hoss will up and die at the worst possible moment, almost as if some malevolent entity planned it that way. This, I can guarantee, as surely as the sun doth rise and set.

You gotta migrate. Everyone does. Come October, point your nose south and join the hordes of seniors crisping in the sun in Arizona, etc. I'm not saying that'll be all that wonderful; I personally dislike Arizona's flat desert crud--no greenery, no scenery. But it beats the hell out of, say, Montana in the winter.

You unfortunately bought a vehicle from America's "who cares how we build them" era, so you're basically going to move thirty feet, break down, fix whatever broke, move another thirty feet, break down, fix it, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. So thank your lucky stars you can fix stuff. One day, eventually, your entire vehicle will be made of replacement parts, which will make it effectively reborn!

And then, you can join the crispy senior caravans heading north in February, and have yourself one hell of a spring and summer, refreshing your memories of what grass and trees look like. Arizona looks best in one's rearview mirror. Have fun!

"The Donner Party hung around"

I hear nomads taste like chicken :)

I think the fear of freezing in the winter is equaled by heading south in a vehicle that is not roadworthy.

If you must, stick to major highways where if you have a breakdown you will be found, but then you will be stuck in place wherever that may happen to be.

Might consider a shelter for the cold months coming, and reassess in the spring.

And just FYI, there is more to the south than Arizona.

Many of us would not consider wintering in the desert, as it’s just not for us.

Winterhaven California borders Arizona and has dispersed camping and a LTVA. Yuma is close by for better gas prices and shopping. Free water at the I-8 Rest Area.

Working my way down there now for some dental work and to hang out in warmer temps than Nye County Nevada.