Heating with your stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardsells2000

Reaction score
Im living in an old class c camper, I have no electric. Im planning to buy a mr buddy propane heater for heat this winter, however it has been chilly a few mornings while im bathing. Ive heard that I shouldnt use my four burner propane cooking stove to heat with. Whats the difference between using the stove or the mr buddy heater. They are both propane. Thanks

The Mr Buddy Heater has a automatic low-oxygen shut off. 

Besides Willie's rather ominous warning, a buddy heater will use much less propane, and give better heat. Oh, and the low o2 shut off drastically reduces the chances of waking up dead. Just sayin...

I too recommend the Mr Heater Buddy. &nbsp;If you do use your stove or oven, please get a CO detector and make sure there is&nbsp;ventilation. &nbsp;Myself, I don't ever use even the Buddy heater unless I am wide awake. &nbsp;<br /><br />As to putting on a pot of water for my coffee first thing in the AM, I do that often and as a side benefit it does heat up my small Class C and I don't need to break out the Buddy Heater.

In the 10 years I have been a vandweller, I have always used my Coleman propane stove for heat. I don't see a problem with it.<br /><br />If it's mild cold, just making a meal for dinner will warm up the camper. Then in a few hours if it cools off too much I will turn it on again for 30 minutes and it will warm up again. In the morning, if its real cold I will turn it on again for&nbsp; 30 minutes. Maybe I've just been lucky all these years, but i don't see what could go wrong with that.<br /><br />As the temperatures drop, I may have to use it more, like 15 minutes every hour. Once the temps are in the teens,&nbsp; for the stove to keep it warm it would have to be on all the time and I don't want to do that, so I get out my Mr. Buddy and use it instead. Bob