Heating a Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mert6706

Reaction score
How do you safely heat a tent? Search directs me to the Mr Buddy and I don't think that would be safe. I understand RTR temps willl average in the 40s at night. (I asked this question last week but maybe posted incorrectly, as I haven't had any replies. Thanks for help.

Buddy is "fine" in a big one, long as you crack a flap for fresh air exchange and position it safely away from anything that can burn don't take your eyes off it.

No need for while you're sleeping.

Google tent heaters or rig a Propex HS2211, nothing good is cheap.

Campfire.

I've used mr.buddy in the past on a 4 person tent. I was the only one in the tent so there was enough distance from the heater to my bedding and from heater to walls.
I did open a vent and was all good.
Wouldb be safer having a battery operated carbon monoxide alarm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mert, take the money you would spend on a heater and fuel, and instead, invest that in a good 3 or 4 season, 2 person tent and a high quality sleeping bag.

If you already have a larger or less comfy tent, then you might need to use a little buddy heater or something similar.

But, the cheap dome tents with open screening at the top and sides, that cant be closed off, are a poor choice for camping in cold weather, even with a heater.

Nothing beats a good mummy sleeping bag.

Backpackers and hikers have been using them for decades. :)

tx2sturgis said:
Mert, take the money you would spend on a heater and fuel, and instead, invest that in a good 3 or 4 season, 2 person tent and a high quality sleeping bag.

If you already have a larger or less comfy tent, then you might need to use a little buddy heater or something similar.

But, the cheap dome tents with open screening at the top and sides, that cant be closed off, are a poor choice for camping in cold weather, even with a heater.
Thanks for the input, tx2sturgis
I'm looking at borrowing this one: Coleman Instant Set-Up 4-Person Tent, 8' x 7'.  I need something I can stand up in and few fit the bill unless way out of my budget. If and when I get a vehicle so I can go full time I may invest in a canvas tent with the thought it will be a couiple years before I can get a van or actual camper.  I do intend to buy a 0-10 degree sleeping bag. Guess I will purchase the little buddy if I get to go to RTR.

Yeah if you can borrow instead of buy a tent then yeah...buy a little heater if needed. I think you will have enough room for the heater without crowding it too much in that tent.

In fact, it is very likely that someone at RTR will have a small heater that they could loan...I dont see why you would even need to buy one.

If it did get really cold, there are any number of people that would be able to put you up for a few nights...or so it seems to me.

If heating a tent I would recommend a Mr. Heater Little Buddy.  It uses the 1lb canister as the base with a plastic base underneath the bottle for support.  I actually have three version of the Buddy heater.  I keep the little buddy in my truck for emergency heat in winter (live in AK) and in the boat for summer.  It is back up heat and can heat a small space PDQ.  The little buddy is around $90 regular but can be found on sell.  The main draw back to the little buddy is the heating element point up at around a 45* angle so it needs to be lower to radiate the heat to you or your bunk.  I think it would serve the needs of a tent down below freezing.  On my boat I do I have about 90 Sq feet to heat and this takes the chill off and warms to around 70* on a 45* day in about 30 - 45 minutes.  I leave it within reach and turn it off when I get sleepy and turn it on when I wake up.  Just thought I would share my experience.  I have also used it ice fishing with good results in a popup shack.  I like the very small profile for packing it in or storing in tight spaces.  I also carry the Coleman one burner stove that also screws on a 1 lb bottle with a similar base.  (see photos attached)  Use in a well ventilated are.  I open my sliding windows in boat or topper.  This was around $35 regular price if I remember but I got it on a Walmart half price sell.  You want to use small pots or pans with it but it also makes a good backup that packs in a small space. 

Living in Ak and heading off the beaten path on occasion it is nice to have alternatives.  With these 2 items, winter gear and topper area I have stayed relatively comfortable for a couple of unexpected nights.  I always keep 3 bottles of fuel and dried foods for a week.  Water is usually no problem if you have a way to melt it.  I am not suggesting these will work for you but I have had success.  My truck bed has a lot of built in ventilation as well as my boat cabin.  Ken

Attachments

• Coleman burner.jpg
    Coleman burner.jpg
    5 KB
  • Little Buddy MH4B01.jpg
    Little Buddy MH4B01.jpg
    55 KB
I bought one of these First Alert Alarms simply because of it's portability. No need to be changing battery or having it plugged in.

Also kind of nice to have the peak reading memory.

MIke R

P>S> about $30.00 at Amazon

AlasKen said:
If heating a tent I would recommend a Mr. Heater Little Buddy. 
I do intend now to bring the heater buddy, I have the one that is one size larger (with the single pane rather than the double pane) but I like the idea of AlasKen's better for a tent.  Pics are great.  I plan to keep mine on top of an upside down milk crate when in the tent for added stability, tho it does have auto shut-off, but I only plan to use it in short bursts with ventilation and turn it off to sleep.  If I get too cold, no doubt I'll wake up, and turn it on again a few minutes, sitting straight up and not even lying back down, turn it off and back to sleep.

tx2sturgis said:

Mert, 

Also consider buying a pair of the Wall's Insulated bib overalls ( brown, matches the desert ). When you go to Walmart, pick out some pants, t-shirt, flannel shirt, Walls Insulated bib overall's ( A size larger to fit over the pants, t-shirt and flannel shirt, comfortably) and a light hoodie jacket, zipper front kind. 

Take all that to the dressing room. Just put it all on and see if it's comfortable. Make adjustment's to different size shirt or whatever. Make it easy to reach inside the storage pockets in the bib overalls to get stuff out easily(camera and such). You could wear the Bib's at night in the sleeping bag, if needed due to temp's. 

When you scout for a place to camp, see if someone close by has a big fire pit. That may mean a nice bed of coals in the morning. Take a few piece's of kindling in the morning with ya and get fire going and warm up. Just ask the fire pit owner if that's cool with them. Maybe fire pit owner will offer ya a cup of coffee also to go with the morning sunrise. :)

Your not getting excited about this silly old RTR thing are you?  :rolleyes:

40's isn't all that cold for tent sleeping, however, if you're not a seasoned tent camper maybe it is a bit uncomfortable. I find sleeping down into the low 30's quite comfortable with a good sleeping bag and an extra blanket never hurts. It's the getting out of bed in the morning in the lower temps that hurts......then it's jump up, get fully dressed and start moving around as much as possible to start producing some body heat.

My first year at the RTR, I lived in a tent with a cot to sleep on. That particular year the temperature dropped to 28F at night. I heated my tent with a Mr Buddy heater, a Colman Lantern and my two burner stove all running on low together. It was nice and toasty! (ask Lesa)

blmkid said:
Mert, 

Also consider buying a pair of the Wall's Insulated bib overalls ( brown, matches the desert ). When you go to Walmart, pick out some pants, t-shirt, flannel shirt, Walls Insulated bib overall's ( A size larger to fit over the pants, t-shirt and flannel shirt, comfortably) and a light hoodie jacket, zipper front kind. 

Take all that to the dressing room. Just put it all on and see if it's comfortable. Make adjustment's to different size shirt or whatever. Make it easy to reach inside the storage pockets in the bib overalls to get stuff out easily(camera and such). You could wear the Bib's at night in the sleeping bag, if needed due to temp's. 

When you scout for a place to camp, see if someone close by has a big fire pit. That may mean a nice bed of coals in the morning. Take a few piece's of kindling in the morning with ya and get fire going and warm up. Just ask the fire pit owner if that's cool with them. Maybe fire pit owner will offer ya a cup of coffee also to go with the morning sunrise. :)

Your not getting excited about this silly old RTR thing are you?  :rolleyes:
 Thank you so much for the great suggestions! I've been trying to figure out what to buy. I'll  be going to Wal-Mart sometime in the next few days and I'll take a look at all of it. Never had bib overalls in my life, never thought of it either, but I'm definitely forcing myself to reach ouside my safetly cocoon and try new stuff these days! I might like them. You're so kind to take the time to help me. Yes, I'm very excited about RTR, and mostly because I'm looking forward to meeting all my forum friends. You are most definitely among them!

Every Road Leads Home said:
40's isn't all that cold for tent sleeping,  however, if you're not a seasoned tent camper maybe it is a bit uncomfortable.  I find sleeping down into the low 30's quite comfortable with a good sleeping bag and an extra blanket never hurts.  It's the getting out of bed in the morning in the lower temps that hurts......then it's jump up, get fully dressed and start moving around as much as possible to start producing some body heat.

I agree. I've been very comfortable sleeping in a tent with a good sleeping bag. But that was on a mattress on the floor. I'm concerned now because I can't sleep on the grond anymore, and I'm thinking a cot is going to have cold air underneath I can't get warm with just my body heat. And there's going to be the dash to my cold potty tent first thing! I love getting a campfire going in the morning to enjoy with my coffee, but the thought occurs to me--are we allowed to have them at Quartzite? And is there plenty of firewood available?

A Buddy heater, either size, really helps with cold mornings, changing etc, often available for very cheap on Craig's. Just keep a little opening cracked for ventilation and never use while (there's any chance of falling) asleep.

mert6706 said:
I agree. I've been very comfortable sleeping in a tent with a good sleeping bag. But that was on a mattress on the floor. I'm concerned now because I can't sleep on the ground anymore, and I'm thinking a cot is going to have cold air underneath I can't get warm with just my body heat. 

And is there plenty of firewood available?

The solution to CBS is the same as we do for sleeping in a hammock - an underquilt. It's hung tight to the underside of the hammock/cot and I'm sure you could rig one up.

Adding blankets to the top of the cot to lay on will only provide a minor help because body weight compresses any insulation value of the blanket.

An underquilt does need to be fitted properly to the cot when you're laying in it so that there are no drafts so it does need to be adjustable. We use firm stretch cord and cord locks for hammock underquilts and then use various fasteners to clip the underquilt to the hammock body.

There are several places in town where one can buy firewood. The desert area, of course, by it's nature, doesn't provide any. You'll need a  hatchet to split purchased firewood for building small cooking fires.

I don't even have a tent, well I do but I don't use it. I use a tarp. I sleep on a cot with a foam mattress. works for me. I also have a very good sleeping bag.

yes campfires are permitted , but there is no wood there and burning desert plants is illegal. which leaves you to buying wood in town or a couple other options. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:

Yes. The idea of heating your space comes from living in buildings. But if you're going to live an outdoors life, you have to think like an outdoors person. Your body produces heat. Trap it. Insulate yourself, dress warmly.