Heat Lamps?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried it.  What would be your AC source? 

<P>I have used them, you need a metal reflector with its little cage, they come with a ceramic socket, about&nbsp;3 dollars. <BR>Don't think they would work in a van or rv. They draw power and put out a lot of spot heat.<BR>They are used to keep nests of baby chicks, pigs, lambs, whatever the need.<BR>A lot of red light&nbsp;will be put out but I suppose you can sleep to it.&nbsp; A red light is so it doesn't harm the babies eyes and they are not in perpetual daylight while growing big enough to keep themselves warm.<BR>It would not catch anything on fire as easily as some other sources,I don't think, unless something was very close or touching the bulb.</P><P>If you go that way, get them and the metal shade at a farm supply store for less, Tractor Suppy Center. <A href="http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmart-reg-brooder-lamp-3208291" target=_blank>http://www.tractorsupply.com/jobsmart-reg-brooder-lamp-3208291</A><BR><B><FONT color=#ff00ff>Dragonfly</FONT></B><BR></P>

I actually think it is quite a good idea. Spot heat is perfect in the small space of a van. You put it close to you and heat the area around you and not the whole van. The problem is where to get the power. I've seen them in 250 and 500 watt sizes. So they draw either either 22 or 44 amps an hour. That is possible if you have a big enough battery bank. 22 amps for 4 hours is 88 amps . A pair of golf cart batteries could do that but they will have to be charged every day which is hard to do (4 golf cart batteries fully charged every day would be much better). I have 190 watts of solar which would easily charge 90 amps a day in good sun. It would be close in the short days of winter. But I could use the lamps less if I needed to.<br><br>Another choice would be a small generator. A 1000 watt would easily run one or more heat lamps. My Honda 1000 burns about 1/3 of a gallon of gas in 4 hours. About $1.50 a day for heat. Bob<br><br>

<P>I'll be driving a lot almost every day so charging the batteries shouldn't be a problem.&nbsp; Maybe turn it on a off through out the night.&nbsp; My only concern was if it's safe for your skin of not.&nbsp; Not sure if its healthy to have that on you all night.&nbsp; </P>

So these things won't cook you with long term use?<div><br></div>

They use these things in some places&nbsp;to keep food HOT like the really bad breakfast sandwiches and quick stop gas stations, and they will burn your skin if over exposed to the lights heat....not to mention the amount of juice required to make them work.

Heat lamps were used in bathroom fixtures to dry/warm you after a shower, so at least for short periods of time from a reasonable disance should be fine.&nbsp; However, I am sceptical that your alternator or battery bank would be big enough to power them for long.<br><br><br>

Car's stock alternator will be fried if you keep having to recharge near dead batteries everyday, let alone 2 or 3 just to keep this light going at night.<br><br>A $5 kerosene lamp from Walmart will probably put out more heat....just that it will be pretty bright inside your van.<br><br>

FWIW...Im a full time RVer and where I am parked electricity is free. &nbsp;Unfortunately the wiring in my RV wont allow for me to run a space heater otherwise I would. &nbsp;One of the ways I warm my humble abode (22ft 5th wheel) is I use a couple of the 250 watt heat lamps in the brooder lamp fixture rated at 300 watts. &nbsp;In temps down to about 25 degrees it does a fair job of &nbsp;keeping the chill knocked off the place after running my propane heater long enough to get the place up to temp. &nbsp;The problem I see with this route for your application is the ability to power them without killing your vehicles battery. &nbsp;Unless you have auxillary batteries and a way to charge them daily your going to need to plug in some place.<div><br></div><div>I think a better option for you may be to do as previously mentioned and buy a couple of oil lamps. &nbsp;I would forego the cheaper metal and glass ones at Wally World and use the more expensive all glass ones for a couple of reasons from the candle section at Wally World. &nbsp;These things can kick out a pretty good bit of heat. &nbsp;I keep a couple around for emergencies should we loose power. &nbsp;And yes I have a small grill that will fit over one with the globe off and I can cook on it too if need be!</div><div><br></div><div>1st, you can see how much oil to put in them without over filling them. &nbsp;Cant do that with the cheaper metal ones. &nbsp;These do cost about twice as much though but for the simple fact I can see how much fuel to add is well worth the added cost. &nbsp;I also think these models are a little more effceint at creating more light and heat on the same amount of fuel too.</div><div><br></div><div>2nd, the fuel is pretty easy to store and purchase. &nbsp;If buying the lamp oil is too expensive for you, you can use Kerosene in them and that will save you a couple bucks a gallon. &nbsp;This is only if you can go to a gas station where you can pump Kerosene to fill your container. &nbsp;Buying it in the 1 gallon bottles or 5 gallon cans at Lowes is ridiculas price wise. &nbsp;To combat the Kerosene smell which isnt bad when properly adjusting the wick, you can go to Lowes and get some scent to add with the Kerosene.</div><div><br></div><div>While a vehicle isnt as tightly shut up as most homes, you may still want to slightly crack a window or a vent to prevent toxic gases from building to unsafe levels. &nbsp;I lived in Japan for 12 years and this was the primary method of heating a home and while occasionally there would be a news report of a family suffering CO2 poisoning, it was a pretty rare occurance considering the number of homes heated this way every night during the cooler months of the year.</div><div><br></div><div>Another option would be to use one of those small catalytic heaters that run off propane that people often use to heat a tent in the cooler camping climates and hunting blinds. &nbsp;These use the 1 lbs bottles and will run about 6 or so hours on one bottle. &nbsp;I use one of these at the deer lease in conjunction with the adapter kit that allows for a 20 lbs bottle to be hooked up to it. &nbsp;The small one is very compact, reasonably priced and can be bought at just about any camping/hunting store. &nbsp; It cost about 15 bucks to refill this tank, so that might be an option too. &nbsp;I am able to heat my RV, provide hot water needs and cook on a 20 lbs bottle about 5-7 days per a fill. &nbsp;Again with this system you may want to slightly open a vent to prevent the chance of toxic gas building up to unsafe levels.</div><div><br></div><div>Just some things to consider from someone who has actually used these methods for heat at times.</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Might want to check some of&nbsp;Johnny Canuck's post's&nbsp;on keeping warm in his camper&nbsp;during the&nbsp;Canadian winters. He did some real time&nbsp;experiments and gave the cost per hour to use.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">A heat lamp would work but I personally would want at least a&nbsp;1000 watt generator, like Bob said,&nbsp;if&nbsp;I&nbsp;wasn't plugged in to a stationary&nbsp;electrical source. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Just a thought.</p>

<span class="status_offline" title="Offline">w&nbsp;&nbsp; Lunatic, what do you think about a full size kerosene heater in a van? I know they're huge and an overkill, but I haven't seen a small/mini one yet. It would heat up the van fast at the lowest possible setting and&nbsp; you can easily cook a steak on it too. Plus, they won't be as bright as an oil lantern....drawing attention and/or making it difficult to sleep. <br><br>Then for exhaust, I've seen a guy install one of those small chimney flutes that they use in boat cabins that's like $150.</span>

Reply to MK7<div><br></div><div>The problem I have found with Kerosene heaters is while they have an adjustment knob they arent all that adjustable without creating excessive fumes or suet (sp?). &nbsp;They do make some smaller units but they are probably still to big to use in a van and you would definitely need some venting. &nbsp;I only ran across a couple of smaller models I would have purchased if I needed something less than 11000 btus which is roughly the size of the average heater if you shop at Ace, Lowes or Home Depot (IIRC). &nbsp;In a really colder winter climate they might be just the ticket if you have a skylight you can crack open and maybe a side window or loosely shut door to provide for adequate ventilation.</div><div><br></div><div>They are actually a nice way to heat tho. &nbsp;In Japan we often kept a pot of hot water on the top of them to use for tea. &nbsp;The biggest problem I have with Kerosene heaters is they often dont have the fuel capacity to run for more than about 6 hours max. &nbsp;We generally heated the house up real warm for bed, shut them of and went to bed. &nbsp;In the morning we would set an alarm for about 30 minutes before "really getting up" and turn them on and allow for the house to heat up before crawling out from under a futon on a tatami mat floor. &nbsp;Some of the heaters in Japan had timers on them which was really nice but I was to much of a broke Sailor to really afford them. &nbsp;You could shut them off and then program them to fire back up automatically a couple of hours before getting up for work. &nbsp;That was too cool!</div>