Headlight flashing language. What it means when...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Flashing headlights on the road. It's a universal way to communicate, but also context-sensitive. I have a few examples to get the ball rolling and then a question.

1) When meeting a car (driving opposite directions) flashing headlights mean "there's a cop ahead, slow down" (or sometimes some other hazard).
2) When at a multi-stop intersection, or pedestrian crossway, flashing headlights mean "go ahead, it's your turn."
3) When coming from behind in the left lane, flashing headlights generally mean "the left lane is for passing, get out of the way you $&$#"

But here's one I haven't been as familiar with:

4) Passing a semi on the interstate, and when changing lanes back to the right, in front of him, he flashes his lights.

Is that his way of saying he thinks I shifted lanes too close? I don't understand. I've seen that several times recently. Maybe it's because I'm driving a huge-ass van now, but, I've felt my distance was appropriate and I don't know what else that signal would mean.

I've always used it as the "all clear" signal when being passed by a semi or truck/trailer combo, letting them know they're good to move back over.
Maybe they're looking out for you and your "huge-ass van". :)

It used to be that if a truck passed us at night we flashed our lights to let the driver know when our vehicle was out of the way and he/she could move back to the right lane. The driver quite often would turn his/her lights off and on as a thank you. So perhaps the drivers are telling you you are safe to move back to the right lane.

Nicole

Interesting, I hadn't considered that interpretation! I always sort of thought that truck drivers believe mirrors are sufficient and don't want / offer help using them.

If I've given any indication of hesitance when merging, I'm likewise unaware how. :D But it makes sense if this is done as a helpful signal to any vehicle that doesn't look like it can see out the back. That would explain why I've started seeing it.

yep when passing they will flash their lights to let you know it's ok to merge back in. also when they turn on their blinker to change lanes slow down and flash your lights this lets them know it's ok for them to move over. once over they will flash their light as a thank you. highdesertranger

Honey flashes the truckers, they like that. Oh and they like it when I blink the headlights to let them know it's all clear too. :)

highdesertranger said:
yep when passing they will flash their lights to let you know it's ok to merge back in.  also when they turn on their blinker to change lanes slow down and flash your lights this lets them know it's ok for them to move over.  once over they will flash their light as a thank you.  highdesertranger

Yeah it always blows me away when there's a semi with his signal on trying to merge and a stream of cars just going by him anyway. I slow down and let him merge but I haven't been flashing my lights.

Once while at a point where an interstate merged with both a on ramp and off ramp (sorta shaped like this --- ||( --- lane, lane, on/off ramp) I was behind a truck not going anywhere because the stream of traffic from the on/off ramps wouldn't let him in and he couldn't merge fast enough to cut in. After sitting behind him a while watching this I took pity on him, passed on the left, cut into traffic on the on/off ramp, stood on my brakes and waved him forward to merge ahead of me. The look on his face was dumbfounded and ecstatic at the same time.

jimindenver said:
Honey flashes the truckers, they like that. Oh and they like it when I blink the headlights to let them know it's all clear too. :)

Okay, that one I have done... sounds like honey's a keeper.

I'm kind of a safety nut when driving. I go out of my way to act predictably and courtesy. When changing lanes I always use my turn signals. Not only do I know what I'm about to do, I also want the "other guy" to know what I'm about to do. When being passed by a semi, I always flash my headlights to let him know it's safe to pull back into my lane after he passed.

Only abt 60% of truck drivers use their turn signals when changing lanes. Less than 30% will flash their tail lights after pulling back in as a "thank you" for letting them know it's safe.

Truck drivers are "professional drivers". You would think they would be driving safely as an example to their craft; but most only care about haulin' ass and runnin' fast; and couldn't care less about being "professional."

Of course, there is a small minority of professional drivers who perform to high standards they feel is important to their profession, but each year it seems this category of driver is getting smaller and smaller.

Too bad. Years ago truck drivers could be counted on to provide help in times of need; now you better just stay out of their way.

With all the discussions on here about the hassles of being pulled over, I would caution against flashing headlights to warn of speed traps. It has been a thorny issue for many years in many jurisdictions. Some localities have/had outright laws against the practice, while others would be more nasty and charge you with interfering in a police investigation.
In 2014 a Federal judge ruled in a lawsuit the ACLU filed (even though the original local 'charges' had been dropped), that flashing your lights is simply a form of communication and is protected by the 1st Amendment.
Of course the question now is, 'how many local LEOs are aware of this, or even care'?

My advice is 'avoid all unnecessary discussions with the local law, even when you know you're right'
.....unless you're some kind of activist and enjoy conflict. :p

As far as the truckers are concerned, I still treat them as professionals even though so many these days are clearly NOT.
Big rigs are just that, BIG!
Give 'em room, give 'em respect (whether they've earned it or not)....they are big and heavy and the smaller vehicle always loses in an impact!

I'm sure it's already been answered, I just don't feel like reading all the replies.   :p

When you pass a big-rig and they flash their headlights after you complete the pass, it means the rear of your vehicle has cleared their front bumper and it's now safe to move back into the right lane (or whatever lane the truck is in that you're moving in front of).  

Around here I notice a lot of truckers don't do it anymore.  Not sure why.  

The thing I've always noticed is that while commercial drivers know what flashing lights mean, most non-commercial (Class C) car drivers generally think you're yelling at them or flipping them off via your lights.  :-/  I almost never get a positive response from non-commercial drivers, so I reserve the headlight signal for truckers only.

Been noticing a decline on interstate manners as of late but will continue to be considerate non the less. These guys are working I am looking for a place to hunker down. The CB has been some help.By the way if anyone runs into ant 1992 96R SixPac info I would be interested not easy to find. REWARD

bindi&us said:
Flashing headLights behind you after you have passed someone is also a sign for "my beams are on low".

I'm not 100% sure your meaning here. But I used to have a car with bright headlights and the low beams were brighter than my current high beams. I'd always get people annoyed and flashing their lights at me and I wanted some way to convey "they ARE on low".... Short of blinding them with the high beams, that is.

On my Jeep I installed rear facing halogen lights for blinding tailgaters, but that's another story.

If an oncoming car has their highbeams on, I turn mine on. As soon as they turn them off, I do so as well. When on foot, I sometimes use a high power flashlight to remind drivers that walkers are equally blinded by oncoming high beams as drivers.

If a car behind you flashes their highbeams (or honks their horn), they are signalling their urgent desire to pass or trying to get your attention (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_in_the_backseat). If you are going at a reasonable speed already, either it is an emergency or they are just being an a-hole.

As already mentioned, an oncoming car flashing their lights generally means "speed trap ahead". I rarely need an advance warning, but I give it when applicable. It can also mean "your headlights are out".

Coming west, I drove many miles on I-10 between Van Horn TX and Quartzsite AZ well below the speed limit. Most of the truckers were very professional, using their turn signals to pass and slowing down in advance if they could not pass right away. Statistics show that fatalities resulting from accidents involving large trucks has declined markedly over the past 20 years. Much like the crime rate, most older folks think it's much worse now then when they were young, but the opposite is actually true. Regardless, the rudest segment of drivers on the 10 were the expensive cars and SUVs with Cali plates.

Purposely blinding a driver with running lights, rear lights, high beams or flash lights, is repulsive. A quick flash to remind the on coming driver. All drivers should learn to drive when an approaching vehicle has lights bright or adjusted too high.

As already stated, The truck turning the lights On-and-Off, or Off-and-On is an all clear, go ahead and merge back in. If you do it and then they on-off-on or off-on-off, that is a thank you. Sadly, this is falling out of favor. I have had maybe half a dozen truckers do this in the last few years. I appreciate it when I am pulling my travel trailer. It is very helpful.

ccbreder said:
Purposely blinding a driver with running lights, rear lights, high beams or flash lights, is repulsive. A quick flash to remind the on coming driver. All drivers should learn to drive when an approaching vehicle has lights bright or adjusted too high.

My comment about rear facing lights for blinding tailgaters was (mostly) a joke. I installed them for off road use. But, I did once use them in a defensive way. While driving in a snow storm, I was passing traffic in the left lane at around 55 MPH - this was faster than the flow of traffic in the driving lane and as fast as driving conditions allowed for a short wheel base vehicle. Someone behind me evidently felt otherwise and came up behind me honking. Although I would have moved over after passing, he didn't wait that long. He turned on his high beams to blind me. I turned on my rear facing halogens in response and his high beams turned off instantaneously! I felt that was fair. I turned mine off right after, too, of course.