Haunted by this video

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QinReno

Reaction score
This was originally attached to another thread that people had vacated. I find I am recursively haunted by it. Very heavy-duty stuff here. Warning: adult-level material.

Starting around 9:10, Mike is sleeping in his truck and the "popo" starts rapping on the window and has his hand on his weapon. Possibility that Mike will get his head blown off if he makes any wrong move at all. Carolyn herself used to be a cop, and carries a weapon in her van, but was visibly upset with the whole episode. 

As I see it, these people made some fundamental errors here, and which I don't wish to make myself. Every experience is a lesson.

QinReno said:
As I see it, these people made some fundamental errors here, and which I don't wish to make myself. Every experience is a lesson.

I was afraid she would get bitten by a rattlesnake, but it turned out not to be one.  Rattlesnakes will go on the water just like other snakes, but usually will coil up and rattle before they strike. Best to avoid.

With the late night knock, it seemed like the officer was checking ID's and possibly looking for someone. When I was camping in my truck, I had my ID with me so I wouldn't have had to get out of the vehicle, but I never got the knock.     ~crofter

Yeah, he was clearly checking IDs. What caught my attention was that he had his hand on his weapon the whole time. I'm sure that's what upset Carolyn so much too. I don't wish to place myself in such a situation, if I can help it.

I didn’t even notice he had his hand on his weapon first time I saw this video! But it’s everywhere, I recently heard a security guard comment about my tires and contemplating slashing them! Since when is security the vandals they’re supposed to be watching out for? I didn’t even talk to them I started engine and took off!

Go over to the Safety on the Road section, and read the thread that starts "Brutalized...". A handicapped guy with a Service Dog was knocked down and tasered by a gung-ho happy ranger. The guy made some obvious mistakes but the ranger clearly was out of control, and he was the one with all the weapons. Three cheers for Adrenalin Run Amuck.

QinReno said:
Yeah, he was clearly checking IDs. What caught my attention was that he had his hand on his weapon the whole time. I'm sure that's what upset Carolyn so much too. I don't wish to place myself in such a situation, if I can help it.
Yep, had his hand on his weapon. Fearful cops are like fearful dogs: dangerous as hell. I think this is our most dangerous situation. I'll take a coiled rattler over a scared cop. At least we know how the snake is going to behave.

The Dire Wolfess

This is a situation that I really want to learn how to handle.  If there are knocks on the door at night, the common response seems to be to sit still and not answer.  If it continues, and it's not the police, to hop in the cab and drive off.

But, what if it is the police?  Naturally, I won't be driving off!  Is there a website, or a video, that teaches people the right way to handle the situation?  Was it you, QinReno, that told about being far off the beaten path when the police came by?  (Situation went fine, but you said your ID was inside the van next to your pistol.)  But you said you wouldn't give permission if he wanted to see inside your van.  

I see both sides of this.  I come from a background of trusting law enforcement.  I respect them greatly!  But I understand that some are corrupt, plant evidence, nervous nellies, etc.,  On one hand, I think the police have every reason in the world to be more nervous than ever to do their job!  They never know what kind of freak they're going to run into!  But, on the other hand, I don't want to open myself up to being set up or framed for anything either!  Heck, these days you can't even trust that they're real police officers!  My first thought would be to have a sign by the window to show the policeman that says, "Can I see your ID first, please?"  Laugh if you want but I've never even been stopped for a ticket or been in any trouble with the law!

Jack said:
Was it you, QinReno, that told about being far off the beaten path when the police came by?  (Situation went fine, but you said your ID was inside the van next to your pistol.)  But you said you wouldn't give permission if he wanted to see inside your van.  
No wasn't me. I'd personally do the "exact" opposite of that guy, whoever he is, in regards items: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and onwards. There are a lot of tough guys here, but I'm not one of them. There are a couple of recent threads in the Safety on the Road forum you might look up.

I can make a list of the 6 or 8 things that I see that the 2 people in the video here did "wrong", but I don't want to get in another argument with anyone (at least for a few days).