has anyone used one of these to power their rig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgs80074

Reaction score
I saw this today on website and found it also on amazon and it got me to wondering. if anyone has used one of these on their van to get some extra juice and then i thought wonder if that would work mounting it to the top of a van and letting it charge batteries up when the vehicle is moving as well. would it be better than the vehicles alternator, etc.

just curious

here's a link to the amazon page:
https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Turbine-Generator-Vertical-Controller/dp/B078ZCV5Q4?th=1

400W at 24V = 16.7A. You could get that much power from 200W of solar, though not always in the same weather. I've heard wind turbines are inefficient and unreliable. It would only work at peak performance in very high wind. You'd probably have to bring it inside and only put it up when camp is set up.

The only review says he could barely get it up to 12V in 25-30MPH wind.

I know nothing about that unit. a good wind unit could be a good supplement to your power generation if you are in an area of many high wind days. however using a wind generator on the outside of a moving vehicle is a overall losing proposition. you will use more gas propelling your vehicle then you will get back in generating power. you are much better off using the vehicle's alternator. highdesertranger

Yes while moving is silly, trying to overcome the laws of physics.

For stationary use lots of noise and vibration.

For good power output need to raise a tall telescoping pole every time.

And who wants to actively seek out the spots **most** exposed to winds when looking for a place to camp?

Yeah someone had a wind generator at the RtR.

Using it driving down the road, nononono.

A friend bought a 400W unit for his sailboat.
It went over the side after it flew apart the third time he released the tether.

He ended up going with a modified small car alternator with a thrust bearing, a long cable that dragged a propeller in the water behind the boat.
(Think about a long rope twisting the alternator.)
Some crafty guy in the islands came up with it.
He said it worked while underway and was reliable for several years, till the metal cable finally rusted through.

Wind gens (all of them that I have seen) are noisy, finicky and they move...a lot.
Moving things wear out, break and cost you money. (Especially when you bring the challenges of mobile life into the mix)
Solar is a better option and for the rainy days... HONDA EU2000.
Same weight, much easier setup...same price in the end...and it always works.

There is a reason you don't see many wind setups with RV's.
(Same reason there are not a ton of Wankel engines powering cars.)
Nifty idea, poor execution.

Careful there Gumbee, your generation gap is showing.  Only old farts know what a Wankel engine is,  except mature Wabbits.

400 watts out of wind turbine that is 35 inches wide? Yeah, right. If you live in a hurricane.

Generating power on a sailboat with a prop in the water is pretty common, called a hydro generator just like dams on land.

They can have a drag effect, so a good design allows for feathering or raising the shaft completely when needed.

Some sailboats do still use wind power also, but they need to be installed properly, and since noisy vibrations are a pain are much less popular now that solar is cheap.

I love the concept of wind power, having even a small wind generator is great. I spent a lot of time researching various wind generators, and with all of the models small enough to use on an RV (sub $1000), they die horrible melting deaths. Just YouTube any potential model you want to buy and you will find video after video of them melting and seizing the bearings or magnets melting/peeling off. The power output is typically about a 1/3 of their ratings. I did see some neat looking vertical designed wind generators in Asia, but they are about 1/2 the efficiency of the traditional models.

Latest posts