Has anyone used carpet tiles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

She

Reaction score
I happen to love them. You can take one out and wash it. Get different colors. Get them on Ebay and there pretty cheap. 

What I have for flooring is this... I use 1 " carpet pad for insulation then on top of that a 3/4" plywood cut to fit... Then cover the floor with an army wool blanket folded and seems to work great... I pull the blanket and clean it old school by beating it and whipping it in the air... Then use a broom the clean the wood floor... Put it all back and works great for me... Easy, simple, effective, and cheap...<br>

She,<br><br>I've used the 12 X 12 linoleum peel off tiles.&nbsp; They are cheap by the box at the dollar store.&nbsp; Great if you have an animal (s)!&nbsp; Never used carpet tiles, tho.&nbsp; <br><br>

That is a pretty good idea SR!<br><br>gus<br><br>

Angeli said:
She,<br><br>I've used the 12 X 12 linoleum peel off tiles.&nbsp; They are cheap by the box at the dollar store.&nbsp; Great if you have an animal (s)!&nbsp; Never used carpet tiles, tho.&nbsp; <br><br>
<div><br></div><div>That is a good idea. I just worry about humidity. Wouldn't it loosen the glue?</div>

Well, I've had those tiles in two ancient RVs and in my cabin currently.&nbsp; I'm in North Central Florida in the woods, read interminable killer humidity!)&nbsp; So far I've not had a problem with that at all.&nbsp; <br>But you may be right, in that in a vehicle if the heat gets really high when it's shut up and parked, that would definitely loosen the glue.&nbsp; I'm not in my van yet, so I hadn't thought it out that far.&nbsp; Good point.<br>

Carpet installers often toss carpet and vinyl sheet stock - I often ask to dumpster dive for remnants large enough for throw rugs in my vehicles....<br>Vinyl can be glued or just stapled at the edges and seams- good duct tape or gorilla tape stapled to the floor with the sticky side up at the seams , then a bead of crazy glue in the seam will join smaller pieces.<br><br>Wouldn't worry too much about sticky tiles coming loose if the base is real smooth and sealed with paint or urethane. Raw plywood will not stick well though.<br><br>

Thanks thats good to know you don't have to worry about floating tiles! &nbsp;

&nbsp;I've got lino on the floor with a 'runner' style carpet on top (was given to me so WTH) that has a rubberized backing and, at the doorway, a rubber mat (abt. 2'x3') with deep grooves to catch water/dirt. Both the carpet and mat can just be picked up, taken out, and shaken off. Very humid here and, in the winter, cold. This means that it's very easy to get MOLD problems.. so no regular carpeting and definitely NOT permanently installed.&nbsp; <br>