Has anyone seen this type of catalytic heater before?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfunkt

Reaction score
Some friends gave me this heater they found at a yard sale. It's an Igloo Master Model #40 and uses naphtha and methyl hydrate as a catalyst. &nbsp;I can't wait to fire it up.<br><br>

I believe it is equivalent to the Coleman ones. Lift up the cage, that shiny top is to put out the heater as well as to keep the heater safe in transit and storage.&nbsp;<br><br>This should be using White Gas/Coleman gas<br>once you fill it up, you need to turn it upside down to let the fuel go into the heater part<br>(turn it back upside right)<br>watch for a wet spot about a quarter or so in size<br>this is the fuel, use a bbq lighter<br>put the flame on it and watch it light up<br>about 1 min or so then it is safe to return back into your shelter<br>need ventalation<br>should burn for about 10-12 hrs

This one has a cylindrical heater and it says to add 1 oz of methyl hydrate evenly around the cylinder and light it. &nbsp;The coleman style had a domed heater part. &nbsp;I haven't used either.<br><br>

ok thanks for the info,<br>could not see the top and yes your right on the domed heater part. Coleman Gas has sky rocketed up here in Canada and I will not be using it anymore at all.&nbsp;<br><br>Good luck, I would lit er up outside a few times first though!&nbsp;

<strong>Do all catalytic heater's run on Coleman gas? I was under the impression they ran on propane but were safer and less expensive to run than say, the Little Buddy heater...or a propane furnace, (which is what I have). Just asking. </strong>

I've being using catalytic heaters a couple winters now, it seems that once they get a few months old they become harder to light. I found they are easier to light if l light them with a small propane torch??? Works for me...I've only used LOW setting.7 gallons propane tank lasts approx 20 days.

MaritimeCamper,<br>can you post a link or show the heater you have please. Even using my smallest catalytic propane heater it uses a 20 lb tank in that time.<br>As for the lighting, sounds like you have the cheap hose or not so good propane and need to install a propane filter before the heater. You can buy them at Coleman selling stores or get the one for the Big Buddy heater.&nbsp;<br><br>Scarlett, you answer NO.. Catalytic is a term for how the heater works as in the type of surface that the fuel goes through to then ignite and give off heat. <br>Most now are yes, propane though in the past the most popular was the White Gas / Coleman gas though the price it through the roof for that stuff now. There were some rare kerosene catalytic heaters, but most stuck with the cylinder style dispersal method. This method was safer for the kerosene and less problematic for the end user.<br>hope that helps. &nbsp;

Hi, Im not to sure how to post a link. I've being using a Coleman model 5038 3000 btu. I shut off heater at night .l use a mummy sleeping bag, and it gets down close to freezing at night.l make coffee in the morning and this warms things nicely. Yes, it may be because l don't have a filter on it...thanks ps l have even cooked on this heater...frozen meals. (Catalytic heater turned horizontal ).

Coleman sport cat is 1500 btu's. Only one setting and might be better for you. <br><br>James AKA Lynx

Thanks, I was given a catalytic heater from a friend, it is a PRIMUS uniflow. ..seems more expensive. ??