Has anyone made EVSE/SAE J1772 power hookups before?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
I'll mostly be in the Bay Area in California where SAE J1772 EV chargers are everywhere. I want to make a hookup for those to my internal batteries, and I've got some plans. Based on my research, the level one chargers are just a house socket current with a detector circuit on the side, that vehicle controllers normally do some circuitry to handle.

Has anyone successfully done this? I can't find any vehicle controllers to handle this detection, so I'm considering playing my hand with a breadboard --- but if I were to guess it'll be more complex and expensive than necessary.

I'm just imagining a beat up old cargo van being parked at one of those stations and having a legitimate reason. Gives me a chuckle. Sorry I don't have the answer to your question.

TMG51 said:
I'm  just imagining a beat up old cargo van being parked at one of those stations and having a legitimate reason.  Gives me a chuckle.  Sorry I don't have the answer to your question.

That's part of the reason why I want to do it. Parking enforcement comes up to me and is says, "Sir, that parking spot is for electric vehicles only, you will be towed if you don't move." Then I reply, "Sir, do you see the EV port in my ELECTRIC VEHICLE, and the solar panel on top?" :D I'll need a big sticker so I don't get towed.

^^^^ This...

Now that you mention it, yes, it's legal. Provided you have all the state/federal testing doc`s and certs in your glove box. OEM data plate too.

Gonna get expensive, but doable.