Hanging cabin curtains in a minivan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrJean said:
There are "black out " curtains and drapes you can buy... I have them in my current (soon to be sold?) house.

I bought some blackout curtains for my living room, but even after weeks of letting them air out in the sun, they still give off that toxic burning-plastic smell that means they're off-gassing. I don't relish the thought of being stuck inside a hot car with something like that. A regular all-cotton bedsheet strung up on a taut wire between the front-seat handholds might work, but I'd need to figure out what kind of wire to put up (fishing line?) A tensioned shower curtain rod would work too, but I'll be sleeping right up against the hanging curtain  and I'm wondering whether one accidental tug on the fabric during sleep might send the rod crashing down on me....

I have a grommeted 100% cotton curtain on order, and hopefully it won't smell. But if for any reason it doesn't work out, I have found an amazing high-tech solution I call THE BEDSHEET.

Hey, it works! The sheet is stretched until taut, and the edges of the sheet are held in place by the carabiner springs. Want to take it down? Open the carabiners.

Stealth? Not really. But blocks prying eyes peering in from the front end of the vehicle. And the light control combines with my tinted windows for pretty good privacy all the way round, especially at night,which is when I really need it.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-3-17 at 4.46 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-3-17 at 4.46 PM #2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo on 8-3-17 at 4.46 PM #4.jpg
    Photo on 8-3-17 at 4.46 PM #4.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 7