Hammock in a Promaster City Tradesman

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Y'all - I finally got the hammock hung!

My van plans are minimalist in nature as I hope to maximize the space that I have in my Promaster City. The closest I can keep it to no-build, the better for various reasons (independence, cost, flexibility). Figuring out how to securely hang the hammock without needing to remove the headliner was my first and most important creative challenge. 

I ended up removing the passenger visor to use the use the holes for fasteners. I ended up fishing the screws from the inside out. Washers were used inside and out with a lock nut. I was hoping to still be able to use the visor but there wasn't enough clearance with the new triangly things. Maybe over time, an innovative solution will come around - but I'm super stoked about this set up. 

The rear eye bolt was cut down to fit in the tiny space. Washers were used inside and out with a lock nut.

I tested it out and I don't drag the floor of the van in the hammock. Pushing the passenger seat forward gives enough space for the hang. I'm going to order a climbing carabiner to make it easier to put up and take down. 

I thought I'd share since I didn't find exact plans for my van when I was doing my research before. 

Yeah a great idea I have one in my kurbmaster I don’t sleep in it, a while back I carried a single hammock with me in my pack and slept in it for over a year of hitching around, it take some getting used to, in the van I mostly use it to sit and read or enjoy the view out the back doors, afternoon cat naps or as extra seating if I have lots of company.

I purchased a 2020 Promaster City and I am starting my build. I am an avid hammock camper. Even at home I sleep in a hammock. I have not slept in a regular bed for the last 3 years. I normally do not camp in a van and prefer to sleep outside between two trees with a tarp when necessary. 

I have a need to travel in a van now and want to find a way to hang my hammocks inside the van for sleeping. Will attaching to the visor mount points and an eyebolt in the back support my 235lbs? There will be roughly 235lbs of force on the head end and 203lbs on the foot end. 

I can figure out the rest of the equation as to what type and length of hammock I need. Even though this is going to be a really tight space to hang in. I usually sleep in an 11 foot hammock but I could make due with a 10 foot. A 10 foot will only give me 2.5 inches for suspension AND any hardware. 

Thanks

Steelplayer - I see your over here on the van dwellers forum as well, welcome.

I have a Grand Caravan that I use. I sleep in a hammock as often as I can. Mine is a 10 ft double. or so, I picked up at Walmart years ago. It is a little too long so I just tied a knot, in the end, to shorten it enough to get the right hang. You can see my setup and tour of my minivan with a DIY pop-top here.

All the best,
Dan