Hammock for a bed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost There said:
Good idea except for the paracord - it stretches so you don't want to use that...
Total agreement... I only mentioned it as I've used it for my indoor hang test for over three years (I used enough looped back 4 times length I thought I needed for RL) with multiple passes of a single strand so I could adjust it over time for the perfect-for-me fit (yes on the % being a starting point.) The ENO DN is still in use as a napper with original paracord. I think it has been adjusted a couple times after the initial dial in. Out in the field we only use amsteel or the stock webbing that comes with WB products for the reason you suggested.

: ) Thom

GrayWhale said:
Costco has a Chillax Hammock for like $22 right now. Just picked one up....

I was going to mention that one. I see it every day at work when making the rounds. It is pretty much an ENO clone. 

I don't have a costco membership. I used to have one, then I decided that for what the membership cost, I did not get a good deal for the once or twice a year I used it.

I went with this one for a start. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011TV0R3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is called the Ohuhu. It should be here today. I will let you know if I go boo huu huu when I set it up. $18, and out of 291 reviews 79% of the people gave it 5 stars. I was thinking net hammocks might make some nice storage bins if fastened to a wall. Not for anything heavy, but for the light stuff.
That amsteel is pricey stuff. Polyester and polypropylene are also low stretch, as in clothesline. I got interested in mule tape. so I ordered some of that. 3/4" with 2,500 lb rating. 100 feet $10. With the extra 90 feet, maybe I will weave a basket, or small storage net.

I've never used one in a van, but I did set one up with a hammock stand in my bedroom. It took a few weeks to get used to sleeping in it, but afterwards it was heaven. I still miss sleeping in a hammock. Unfortunately, something about them didn't agree with my back, even though searching the Internet will tell you otherwise. After 2 episodes of waking up with a very stiff, sore back in about a 10 month period, I had to go back to sleeping in a bed, along with the pressure point issues which was what caused me to try the hammock. Many people in third world countries, especially Central and South America use them with no problems.

Two months prior to the second stiff and sore back episode, I was diagnosed with a herniated disc. Don't know if the herniated disc was the cause of the 2 episodes or sleeping in the hammock caused my herniated disc. I've had minor back issues since my late teens.

Hammocks can work.
There are others here that inspired me to do it.

I have a friend with a full size van who installed anchors inside to hang his. Quick and simple, once the anchors/mounts were up. He drilled and bolted them to the supports for the roof (B-pillar and Rear Door Pillar).
Plenty of length in a full size or Sprinter for a hammock.

On a minivan, like my Honda Odyssey, you'll need a properly sized hammock. Hammocks work best with a good amount of sag. 10' hammock or a tad shorter, depending on your minivan. There is no need for a ridgeline, the van roof is your ridgeline. Maybe a custom sized hammock will be needed, to provide proper sag and ground clearance. My 10' hammock hangs with 4-5" of clearance off the floor.

What I do is similar to what the previous videos show. A strap across the roof passes into the drivers side rear hatch. The front side of the strap goes into the front passenger door. If you eliminate all the extra cordage at the end of the hammock it works best, IMO. I larksheaded the webbing loops, (so some custom sewing is necessary to get a proper fit)  directly to the hammock ends, shut the doors and your done. Or leave them open for good ventilation.

Structurally, the strap is near the main supports of the van. I'm a big guy and there is no damaging sounds from the van as I enter the hammock. Since the strap transfers the load across the entire roof, I feel it is a safe option. I don't have sunroof, so that may be something for you consider, if so equipped.

Downsides- And these may be deal breakers for some..
Gaskets take a beating. After a few hangs, your gaskets will show some wear from being compressed by your body weight. You may end up with air whistling in at highway speeds. So far, all I can see is a worn spot, and once the strap is removed, no leaks.

Wicking- Rainwater will follow the straps into the van and drip down your hammock. Because of this, fair weather hanging is all I care to do in the van.  I am brainstorming a solution to prevent the wicking issue. :-/
 I am presently using polyester webbing, 2" wide, aka seatbelt webbing, which is supposed to be the least absorbent of all strap material. Amsteel and muletape (for those familiar with hammock nerd lingo) haven't worked. Its width was chosen to try to prevent damaging the door seals. I did sew the strap to fit my van exactly as needed.

As was mentioned earlier, a hammock may alter your interior lay out, as cabinetry may be an issue. But it is a lightweight (MPG's matter) solution. The hammock can also be used in the trees as normal. It stows away easily and opens up the floor space. No mattress meant more space and less weight. Cost for my DIY hammock and strap was around $25.00.

Keeping warm in the hammock is easier, since you are inside the van and wind is not an problem. A light Underquilt (nerd lingo again..) can work well. I'm using a poncho liner here.

I tried the gathered end hammock and was not comfortable. It felt like a banana was having it's revenge on me trying to squeeze me with it's peel. The hammock being yellow probably didn't help. I would like to try a bridge hammock, but nobody makes one for $20. I thought about making pockets in the gathered end that would hold dowel rods to open the ends up. Maybe that will be the next step.

When I was in the Navy, (back closer to the days of wooden ships and iron men), ahhem, One of my beds was a piece of tubing made into a rectangle with a canvas piece suspended in the middle with line, (rope). It had a pad on top of that. I don't think it was foam, more like some type of fibers, (was kinda heavy). If you liked a saggy bed, you loosened up the ropes. Something like that could be hung from the ceiling.

@DannyB1954:  You might go over to the Hammock Forums and see if you can get some help/ideas.  Lots of good info over there about all things hammock.

The key to sleeping in a hammock is to lay a little bit on the diagonal, it will make the hammock a little more flat, a little less banana.

I bought one of these https://www.hammockbliss.com/sky-bed-bug-free . It is an asymmetrical hammock you lay in slightly sideways and there's a built in slot for an inflatable mattress. The slot keeps it in place. I also bought a Warbonnet Ridgerunner, Great Hammock, but I'm right at it's weight limit and it made my shoulder hurt so I returned it. My sky bed is good enough for a one nighter outside, but I'm still buying a nice mattress for my van.

DannyB1954 said:
... I would like to try a bridge hammock, but nobody makes one for $20. I thought about making pockets in the gathered end that would hold dowel rods to open the ends up. Maybe that will be the next step...

as suggested by another member I would check out Hammock Forums. They have an active DIY community and most likely there is a pattern for making one for little outlay of time and money.

My wife came to the same conclusion and now sleeps in a Warbonnet Outdoors Ridge Runner gathered end and sleeps like a baby. While I still prefer the Warebonnet Blackbird gathered end. Thought its design benefits the by having a foot box and a shelf. Lots of room. I liked the cozy feeling of the gathered end over the bridge design of the RR as I felt more exposed in the RR.