Gutter Guard for rear window ventilation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC58

Reaction score
Saw several Youtube videos for using Gutter Guards from Homedepot for air ventilation on Van/SUV door windows.  Here is one video.

I bought a two with builtin screen mesh for about $2 each.  Cut them down to fit rear SUV windows.  Problem is the screen mesh was to big and seemed mosquitos could get through.  The plastic mesh was held on with clear silicone.  I had some spare plastic window screen mesh and decided to replace it with that.  Cut to size and glued in with clear silicone.  Turned out great.  Lesson learned.  Buy cheaper Gutter Guards with no mesh and install your own.  Here is Homedepot meshless Gutter Guard.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerima...Snap-In-Filter-Gutter-Guard-86270BX/100520851

In attached pic you can see difference in size of mesh.  Also pic of finished window guard.

Attachments

• Guard2.jpg
    Guard2.jpg
    170.7 KB
  • Guard1.jpg
    Guard1.jpg
    81.9 KB
Great idea :idea:

Please when you get these installed on your rig,  post us some photos. 
This is something all of us could use or benefit from.

of course the intent is not to have the rear windows open when driving. right? highdesertranger

eDJ_ said:
Great idea :idea:

Please when you get these installed on your rig,  post us some photos. 
This is something all of us could use or benefit from.

I camped out using gutter guard on window this week and it worked great in a buggy NF.  Not one bug got inside!  I put a fan next to one gutter guard to draw air in and it cooled down my vehicle with outside air.  Here is a better video showing how it works and how to make one.   Really cheap at Home Depot.

highdesertranger said:
of course the intent is not to have the rear windows open when driving.  right?  highdesertranger

I would take them out when driving.  The air flow might tear them out!   Great for getting ventilation at night when sleeping in vehicle.

For others reading this, these are for the rear SIDE doors, not the rear doors on a van.

Thanks CC58 :thumbsup:

Watched her youtube video and next time I'm by Lowe's I'll pick up a couple and start working on a pair for my rig. The rear windows in my back doors tilt out and I have "no-see-ums" screens made for them.

The cross ventilation would be nice in that ol' high top extended Ford.

OK,  I've got mine made for my front windows now.  I was looking for white vinyl but they only had brown.  Worked out better with brown as at a distance you really don't notice the screens installed in the windows.  (like you would with white)

I had plenty of left over material so I cut two small pieces, triangular in shape, to fit over the gap at the front and rear of the window.

With the windows rolled up I used some brown kraft paper to make a template.  Then went 1/4 of an inch out from that line and cut it out. 
This was traced onto the gutter screens (flipped over for the opposite side of the Van)  and used an ink marker to transfer the pattern.  Then this was
cut with tin snips.  Didn't take long at all to have them in place.  For less than $5 bucks and a few minutes anyone could have these for their rig.

Yup, those things are great! I converted my Honda Odyssey and besides having full screens for the second row windows and rear hatch (when left open camping or BLM), I have these cut and spray painted black and use them for more stealth applications. From a distance, you can barely tell they are in and that cupped track at the bottom fits the top of the glass perfectly to get a snug fit when adjusting the window. Love 'em.