• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

guns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shemp

Reaction score
My wife's brother in law died and his daughter is liquidating his estate.He had about 150 rifles and pistols.Most were NIB or like new condition.Let me know if you are looking for a gun.

Use extreme caution here. A friend of mine got five years for selling what the court considered too many firearms without a FFL.

Guy

Do check your state and federal laws. Your relative most likely had a local gun dealer he trusted that would be willing to help to prevent problems.

1shemp said:
My wife's brother in law died and his daughter is liquidating his estate.He had about 150 rifles and pistols.Most were NIB or like new condition.Let me know if you are looking for a gun.

The 2nd amendment doesn't really protect the right to bear arms any longer so don't be surprised if you get a visit from the ATF just for posting that.

Bearing arms and selling arms are different aren’t they? No laws against having cats but if your recently deceased aunt had a managerie of 150 cats I think the authorities, spca, animal welfare, would get involved, or would have to be consulted about dealing with them.

IMHO - You may want to call a licensed firearm auctioneer in for that type of sale. Yes he’ll take his $ off the top but he knows the market, has a list of customers, has a license and knows the law, and has been there and done that. Sometimes they just do an online auction and a catalog. They know what specific customers are collectors who they can call and they are worth the fee you pay them. IMHO. And I am the world‘s expert on my own opinion. I wish you well

1shemp said:

I dont know what state this is in, but keep in mind that one cannot transfer, meaning any form of changing possession other than a loan at a range or for temporary hunting, any handgun to a resident of another state. It has to be sent to an FFL holder in their home state then transferred like a new gun or any other gun from a dealer. Private sales are not exempt from this law. One also cannot sell or transfer any gun to an individual that isnt legal in their home state, for example a CAL resident cannot go to another state and buy a gun (such as a so-called assault rifle) thats not legal at home. These are federal laws and have been in place for some time. One also cannot transfer a gun to anyone that you know or believe is not lawfully able to buy a gun at a dealer.

Consigning them to a reputable auction house or someone that can sell them on gunbroker are both good options. You as an individual can list them on gunbroker, but they may need to be shipped FROM an FFL holder in some states, and MUST be shipped to an FFL holder on the buyers end (federal law). Many receiving FFL holders require that incoming guns to be transferred come from another FFL holder/dealer. Shipping is much less expensive for a dealer if they use USPS instead of a common carrier (UPS or Fedex, as they require handguns to be sent next or second day air to reduce theft). Individuals are not legally allowed to ship handguns by USPS. A common fee for transfer paperwork is around $25 per gun, and thats for both sending and receiving dealers. It can be much more in some places or dealers.

Malamute said:
I dont know what state this is in, but keep in mind that one cannot transfer, meaning any form of changing possession other than a loan at a range or for temporary hunting, any handgun to a resident of another state. It has to be sent to an FFL holder in their home state then transferred like a new gun or any other gun from a dealer. Private sales are not exempt from this law. One also cannot sell or transfer any gun to an individual that isnt legal in their home state, for example a CAL resident cannot go to another state and buy a gun (such as a so-called assault rifle) thats not legal at home. These are federal laws and have been in place for some time. One also cannot transfer a gun to anyone that you know or believe is not lawfully able to buy a gun at a dealer.

Consigning them to a reputable auction house or someone that can sell them on gunbroker are both good options. You as an individual can list them on gunbroker, but they may need to be shipped FROM an FFL holder in some states, and MUST be shipped to an FFL holder on the buyers end (federal law). Many receiving FFL holders require that incoming guns to be transferred come from another FFL holder/dealer. Shipping is much less expensive for a dealer if they use USPS instead of a common carrier (UPS or Fedex, as they require handguns to be sent next or second day air to reduce theft). Individuals are not legally allowed to ship handguns by USPS. A common fee for transfer paperwork is around $25 per gun, and thats for both sending and receiving dealers. It can be much more in some places or dealers.

Right....so much for "Shall Not be Infringed"

We really don't need to argue this, right? The are tons of websites to argue the fine points of this. The OP has been warned so that should be the end of it. Highdesertranger